• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

STGW 57 update.

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    I received my STGW 57 and have decided, for now, to leave it as it is. The finish was better than I expected. I did however, make a scope mount for it . I made a copy of the original mount that accepted a Kern scope. It is a dovetail that wedges in the front and is tightened by a thumbscrew in the back. Simple design, but it took me a day to make it. It didn't help that I had to make the tumbscrew from scratch as there is limited clearance over the receiver and I wanted a hex nut in the center of the screw to aid in tightening. I used a Wetzlar scope taken off an HK Stanag mount for a G3. Kern scopes cost as much as the gun. Took it out to make sure than the mount and scope were collimated with the bore and it was pretty much right on. Accuracy testing to come. I did some testing at 100yds with the irons and was only getting around 3 moa, but I was definitely responsible for some of that error.

The original Swiss Kern and mount
    SIG-Pe57-with-Kern-4x24-scope-4.jpgSIG-Pe57-with-Kern-4x24-scope-3.jpgc8136c5c6a4f6928b2885c799ca340f0ccf27568_r.jpgCA200ott_04.jpg

My scope and mount

DSCN3512.JPG
    DSCN3513.JPG
    DSCN3513.JPG
    DSCN3515.JPG
    DSCN3516.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3514.JPG
      DSCN3514.JPG
      536.5 KB · Views: 199
    Who built the rifle?

I've been shooting a PE57 for some years and loading for it as well. They can be pretty accurate and a good scope is worth having. 175gr tipped Sierra Matchkings work very well in these rifles.

Frank

Good guy. He's done a lot of work and research to make them right. Get out and shoot it. They're a bit odd and ugly looking but they shoot very well and are quite pleasant. Being heavy they have little recoil and the butt is made to absorb what little is left. Sights are great too.
    Keep us posted.

Frank

When you design and build a rifle to work as an infantry rifle, sniper rifle, light machine gun and ‘flying carrot’ launcher ... it is going to look more solid than beautiful!

When you design and build a rifle to work as an infantry rifle, sniper rifle, light machine gun and ‘flying carrot’ launcher ... it is going to look more solid than beautiful!
    Ask the guys who designed the Steyr AUG.... Another beautiful utilitarian rifle.

The Saudis' and the Aussies had those at one point. Beautiful!

Sirhr

@sandwarrior Flying carrot is apparently a Swiss nickname, derived from the practice grenades. I picked it up from watching the recent Bloke on the Range YouTube videos Swiss Flying Carrots 1/2 and 2/2 with the Bloke acting as sidekick to Dale. Dale is the young fella who also carried out some deep research into the Model 57 and recently presented that in an English language video on the Bloke’s channel.

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: sandwarrior
    @sirhrmechanic Having gone from the SLR L1A1 (with a tiny bit of L2A1 Range time) to the M16A1 (briefly); then to a brand new Steyr AUG and later changing to an Aussie garbage AUG (as part of another apparently pointless reorganisation of the RNZE) I have a fairly low opinion of the AUG series. The negative aspects of the design, in my experience, significantly outweigh the positive aspects. NB Aussie spare parts for the AUG are best placed straight into File 13, if you wish to maintain your sanity (and your armourer’s/gunsmith’s sanity).
    Coming back to the subject of this thread, the images of that big Swiss rifle and the owner’s fettling are impressive.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    @sandwarrior Flying carrot is apparently a Swiss nickname, derived from the practice grenades. I picked it up from watching the recent Bloke on the Range YouTube videos Swiss Flying Carrots 1/2 and 2/2 with the Bloke acting as sidekick to Dale. Dale is the young fella who also carried out some deep research into the Model 57 and recently presented that in an English language video on the Bloke’s channel.
    Thanks for the explanation! 😁 Ha ha, I assumed it was grenades, but figured there had to be a good backstory to that.