• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Sti 2011 questions

cp3head

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Pennsylvania
Anybody using an sti 2011 that can offer pros, cons etc? I am currently running a glock 34 with zev guts/barrel for 3 gun. I am tossing around the idea of a DVC 3 gun 2011 and would like to hear what the hide has to offer. The reason for potentially switching to an STI 2011 is more of a want to try a different platform than a need. Thanks in advance.

I have an Atlas Titan 2011, 9mm, 49 ounces with metal grips, 2# trigger, shoots flat as possible... and it's boringly accurate, at close to mid distances I can shoot the bullseyes out of targets all day long. Versus 8 ring same condition with my Glock. Since I'm 58 and can't even see my 25 and 50 yard targets then I'm guessing and results are about equal ;-p It's a wonderful gun but these have a lot of fitting and cost more than an off the shelf STI.

They are nice guns but more complex and fussy than a Glock, and I'm not sure the increase in accuracy helps you in 3Gun as much since the targets are forgiving. For instance I find I can handle the Glock pretty well too in terms of transitions and double taps. The 2011 is really nice on spinners where you really want to nail the outside of the plate (at least with 9mm) to kick it off.

The weakest link is the magazines, especially with smaller 9mm... dropping metal 2011 magazines onto the ground sucks because once the feed lips get bent or they get dirty you get problems. Even with my 1911 Single Stack the mags are much more reliable and hassle free.

Last 3G match I shot my Glock 19 and did fine, didn't worry about dumping mags or throwing it into a muddy pail. It's hard to toss a $4k gun around the same way unless you're at the top tier. And 3G matches I've gone to have rarely been in perfect conditions, usually they're slogs.

That said there is still a lot of pride in ownership, they feel great in the hand and other shooters will pass along compliments. I bet there are a lot of other guys who shoot a "nice" gun in pistol comps and a beater in 3Gun.

Last edited:
I've owned half a dozen glocks and won with them, then I bought an STI and won more. I have one Glock left now and it's my wife's 42. I tried most of the common pistols, owned some and had some odd fancy foreign ones like Pardini, etc.

There's nothing out that is as easy to shoot as an STI or SVI 2011, they spoil you. I'm not one to collect stuff and don't feel the need to have a bunch of handguns in the safe but if I can help it there will always remain a 2011.

Reactions: Frankly
Wouldn't get rid of my sti trubor for anything except a dvc. As said, load them with vv powder and the pistol just pushes straight back with no muzzle rise. can't miss, double and triple taps are so easy.

i started off with glocks. dabbled in 2011's and never looked back. ergo's and trigger are just way better. no doubt everything is way more expensive though, gun, mags, etc. that said still have a glock 31 bedside and g32 for carry. while SH is awesome for all things long-range, check out brianenos.com and their 1911/2011 section.

I second the Brian Enos forum recommendation above. I’m still resisting the urge to dive into the 2011s myself. I love my single stacks and I have a shadow 2 to hold me over. It would probably only take 1 day at the range with a 2011 to make me cave though.

Any of the good 2011 platforms are going to give you the edge in competition, but like anything else, all are not created equal. STI has done a pretty good job with their factory guns.

I have an edge in .40, and it is easily the best purchase that I have ever made gunwise. I have Glocks, and like their reliability, and they are my carry and house guns, but when match day rolls around, I taking the STI, period. I run it in uspsa, 3g, and 2g. It has been extremely reliable and accurate. I have had ONE malfunction in almost 10k rounds. It was a failure to feed, and I was pretty shocked. I was standing there in the middle of a uspsa stage staring at my pistol with disbelief on my face. The RO told me to get it running and finish, which I did. We got a laugh about it when I told him why I was standing there like a dufus. I also have no problem tossing it in a barrel during a transition, but I may toss it a little easier than I would one of my Glocks. If I had to do it over, I wouldn’t even bat an eye.

Yep, STI will certainly do the trick. Make sure you have good magazines. Change the springs annually, clean them after they hit the sand and you should have many, many, rounds of trouble free use.

The mags are good to go as long as they are clean. The dirt out here in CO kills them fast. Silly stupid easy to shoot. Lots of parts. Great triggers. Sold my 40 Edge, but still have a 45 tactical. I think a 5 inch 9mm tactical or Edge would be awesome. 20ish rounds in a manageable mag.

I have several STI 2011s. They have always made nice pistols, but between new management and the DVC line they may be impossible to top without spending a good bit more. I used the Marauder for 3G until they came out with the 3G DVC. Get one, you will not regret it.

As for mags, the new generation of STIs are vastly superior. The first generation ones that came with the guns just sit in a box. I should have sold them a long time ago. Take your pick on base plates and followers, but I have used Taran's and really like them. However, for my most recent 2011s I have paired them up with MBX Extremes and highly recommend these. The followers each needed about 30 seconds of dremeling and I have never looked back.

I have to compare STIs to my customs, which are Akai (awesome) and Atlas (awesome^2). I got the customs because I wanted everything (slide cuts, specific barrel...) just so. You can't really do this with an STI, but I have sent two of them back to the factory for specific triggers (flat) and trigger weights. They did exactly as asked and did a great job. Is the price difference worth it? Maybe, maybe not. But after getting the 3G DVC I scrapped the idea of having Akai build me one. Next up for me is the DVC Carry.

Reactions: steve123
I shots Glocks for a couple decades, G17, G21, G30, G35, and a G43, the 43 is the only one I still have, my STI Marauder is stupid accurate, I replaced the grip with a DVC grip, added a Dawson Ice magwell, little stoning here and there and all new springs every 5k. Mags are the only issue, I greatly prefer the gen 2 mags, no spacer required, Taran Tactical basepads with Grams springs and followers, 23 rounds in 140mm mags, 30 in a 170mm mag, Atlas Gunworks has good videos on how to tune mags. On Good Friday I took delivery of my Infinity 9/40 sight tracker, normal break in of 500-1000 rounds ain’t gonna apply to this pistol, it’s so tight everywhere SVI recommends 5000 round break in period.

Reactions: steve123
Dang, now I feel like my crappy old 2011 edge is just so 1990's!!! I want one of those fancy new ones!!

C'mon man, let's see some pics.

20170602_atlastitan2011pistol_0209.jpg

Atlas Titan 9mm 2011

I'm a recovering 1911, ( 2011 ), addict, but basically I can shoot the 1911 design much better than a Glock. The main difference is the trigger.

I shots Glocks for a couple decades, G17, G21, G30, G35, and a G43, the 43 is the only one I still have, my STI Marauder is stupid accurate, I replaced the grip with a DVC grip, added a Dawson Ice magwell, little stoning here and there and all new springs every 5k. Mags are the only issue, I greatly prefer the gen 2 mags, no spacer required, Taran Tactical basepads with Grams springs and followers, 23 rounds in 140mm mags, 30 in a 170mm mag, Atlas Gunworks has good videos on how to tune mags. On Good Friday I took delivery of my Infinity 9/40 sight tracker, normal break in of 500-1000 rounds ain’t gonna apply to this pistol, it’s so tight everywhere SVI recommends 5000 round break in period.

I am in the same boat. Glock guy but looking to take the 2011 plunge. I like the idea of the HOST since I have RMRs on my glocks. Also looking at one of the Marauder special editions. Hmmmm. Decisions.....

This thread has pushed me over the edge . Gonna start saving for the STI DVC 3GUN . My name's Treedog and I'm addicted to the bang switch .

Reactions: djarecke
I have shot everything from Glocks to M&Ps to VP9s and ultimately became a 1911 fanatic. I found that I could shoot the platform much better, probably the trigger, and preferred thr heavier weight of the gun. I have owned several Kimbers, a S&W 1911SC, a Dan Wesson Discretion and a Springfield TRP Operator Full Rail. I prefer my STI 2011 COSTA HOST to them all.

The fit and finish on the STI is better than the TRP and far better than the Dan Wesson (don't get me started on that one). After 6 months of EDC in kydex holsters and about 1000 rounds suppressed/non-supressed, there isnt a mark anywhere on the finish of the gun. Ever heard of gun oil? Neither has the STI. That slide is buttery smoothe without it.

As others have said, the biggest con is the magazines. However, I have not had a single failure to feed as long as it has been shot without my suppressor. Every once in a while, depending on the ammo, I will get a FTF. You do occassionally get a slide locked back with one bullet still in the magazine, but I am sure with tuning you could fix that.

I would love to pick up a DVC myself, but since I am a big fan of red dots on pistols, the COSTA HOST was my first STI pick.

Their customer service is also great. My Gemtech suppressor wasn't running well when I initially bought the gun. After sending out multiple recoil assemblies free of charge, they had me ship the gun in. They found that the recoil rod was touching the suppressor during recoil, so they custom machined x2 slightly shorter guide rods. While they were test firing, the Vortex Viper on the gun malfuctioned, so they slapped on a brand new one AND tossed on a Trijicon RMR plate when I asked for one. Again, all free of charge

Buy with confidence.

Attachments

• IMG_20171101_190929_010.jpg
    IMG_20171101_190929_010.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20171101_190929_011.jpg
    IMG_20171101_190929_011.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: Wyzrd