• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing STI dust cover milling

rifleman1981

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2010
nw oklahoma
Before we start the, why don’t you just buy a staccato, I already own this one, I already know it shoots, and I don’t wanna sell it and buy another pistol. This particular one is an STI 5.0 Hawk and has the full dust cover. I know I can get the slide optic milled no problem, but does anybody know of a machine shop that will mill a rail into the dust cover? I’m gonna carry it on night patrol and would sure like to have the option to run a weapon mounted light on it. Actual experience would be awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_9701.jpeg
    IMG_9701.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 91
Maybe this guy? Only because I came across this a while back. Don't know if he does custom work for other people.

From there I'd check with the Staccato regulars.

I'd start with: https://alchemy1911.com/

Then these 3 in no specific order. Note: Last I checked one of them runs manual. Go with CNC.

Note: Last I checked one of them runs manual. Go with CNC.
Out of curiosity are you making that recommendation based on your machining experience and first hand knowledge of the mills in each of those shops including their general mechanical condition, ways alignment, backlash in all axis, encoder resolution and accuracy, the design and build of the workholding fixtures, exact cutting tools used, spindle speed, depth of cut, etc.....or just because everyone knows cnc is "better"

Asking for a friend....

Reactions: iceng and Brym427
Before we start the, why don’t you just buy a staccato, I already own this one, I already know it shoots, and I don’t wanna sell it and buy another pistol. This particular one is an STI 5.0 Hawk and has the full dust cover. I know I can get the slide optic milled no problem, but does anybody know of a machine shop that will mill a rail into the dust cover? I’m gonna carry it on night patrol and would sure like to have the option to run a weapon mounted light on it. Actual experience would be awesome.
Why not contact Staccato and see if they’ll do it? It is one of their previous guns. 🤷🏼

Nighthawk Customs? Wilson Combat? Ed Brown? Les Baer? D. Wilson Mfg.?
WC is only working on their guns, EB wouldn't be my choice for anything since the kids took over, go ahead and call Uncle Les and see how that goes, moreover see post # 6 above.

Maybe this guy? Only because I came across this a while back. Don't know if he does custom work for other people.

From there I'd check with the Staccato regulars.

I'd start with: https://alchemy1911.com/

Then these 3 in no specific order. Note: Last I checked one of them runs manual. Go with CNC.

Cnc guns only did stuff for himself. The site hasn't been updated wifh new projects in at least since before covid crap. I was once part of the forum there but that is now gone. He sells jig stuff only now.

WC is only working on their guns, EB wouldn't be my choice for anything since the kids took over, go ahead and call Uncle Les and see how that goes, moreover see post # 6 above.
It’s been done, I’ve actually seen it done 2x but the guy who was doing it is out of business.

Last one i saw was braze welded on.

Regular 1911 frame, and was a extended / full length dust cover with a pic rail on it. I didnt even notice until i was told. Clean job. No idea who did it.

Not this one, but... sort of similar.
5cb23810.png