• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns STI gunsmith needed

Buzzsaw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2006
Frisco, Texas
Just got my STI Tactical 5.0 w/ full rail. Awesome gun but they set the factory trigger at 5.0lbs pull. I live in the Metroplex area and need a GOOD smith to do a trigger job, 3.0lbs. I don't want to mail it and I don't want to wait forever.
Any suggestions

Re: STI gunsmith needed

There is Crawley Custom in Kemp. There is also Advanced gunworks in Roanoke. I stopped into AG in Roanoke, seemed like good people, that said I have not used either of the above for any 'smithing but they have been recommended before.

You Texans have it so good. Four of the best with STIs are in Texas!

Dawson Precision - he won't work on it unless you bought it from him
Benny Hill ( Triangle Shooting Sports ) - Corpus Christi area
Virgil Tripp ( Tripp Research ) - Bastrop
Brazos Custom - Morgan, TX

Brazos looks reasonably close to you.

I shipped my STI to Virgil for a trigger job and he did a great job with fast turnaround.

I ordered mine from Brazos and had them give it a trigger job before they shipped it. I could not be happier. I'd highly recommend them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gene Williams in Princeton can do it </div></div>

caveat emptor, Brian

GO with Virgil Tripp
he is the T in STI and know every thing abut them

I have had guns built by Dawson, Bob L, Virgil and Benny. At this time, I think Benny is the only one taking work that he did not build.

Benny is known for his trigger jobs. Tri-angle shooting sports in Corpus Christi.

Jerry

I'm dropping the gun off at STI for new grip, trigger and sights on my way deer hunting. I guess I could send it to Brazos, they are really good.

Ken Crawley took my lightweight commander, $1600 and 10 months later I had a beautiful gun. He is great but very sloooooowwwww.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm dropping the gun off at STI for new grip, trigger and sights on my way deer hunting. I guess I could send it to Brazos, they are really good.

Ken Crawley took my lightweight commander, $1600 and 10 months later I had a beautiful gun. He is great but very sloooooowwwww. </div></div>

These days, 10 months in the custom 1911 world is short

what about COLBY BRANDON he is now virgils partner @ Tipp Reasearch and still works out of the Alpine building

Gene Williams works on STI's. He's close. What other kinds of work does he do? I need some Cerakote work done after deer season.