• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors STI Trojan

ColoWyo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2005
Elizabeth, Colorado
Just had to share the new toy. It's an STI Trojan in 9mm. Over 500 rounds and two IPSC matches with it and not one issue. Not to mention it's the most accurate pistol I've ever owned. I got it from Brazos and had them give it the once over.

In short, this thing friggin rocks.

933694597_aG9CT-L.jpg

Re: STI Trojan

Congrats on the pistola.

I've got around 15,000 rounds through my STI Trojan in 45 and its never failed me.

I honestly prefer my STI's to Wilsons and Les Baers.

IMHO STI is leading the pack in offering the most value for the $ in the 1911 market........now wear that son of a bitch out
laugh.gif

what kind of grips and magwell did you put on that?

I love my 9mm Trojan

Thanks guys. The grips are VZ's. FYI, if you own an STI and want to order grips from them, make sure they know it's for STI. Even then, have a file and a Dremel handy when it comes time to put them on.

To be honest DAT, I am not even sure the brand of the magwell. That's how it came from Brazos when I called to inquire if they had one, it was already installed. I'm on the road for a couple of days. If you'd like, just let me know and I'll look into it when I get home.

STI has it figured out, big time. Ran a 40 Edge for Limited Class that I got from Frank Garcia and the thing was lights out. Other than grip modifications, nothing to tweak. Light years ahead of the first Super I had built....

buddy has the .45 trojan. it's kick ass ride!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI has it figured out, big time. Ran a 40 Edge for Limited Class that I got from Frank Garcia and the thing was lights out. Other than grip modifications, nothing to tweak. Light years ahead of the first Super I had built.... </div></div>

Limited <span style="font-style: italic">Division</span>.

Equipment by division, skills by class...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI has it figured out, big time. Ran a 40 Edge for Limited Class that I got from Frank Garcia and the thing was lights out. Other than grip modifications, nothing to tweak. Light years ahead of the first Super I had built.... </div></div>

Equipment by division, skills by class... </div></div>

First 38 Super as in what we were building in the 90's versus what comes off the shelf today.........

do you speell check two?

I tried a Trojan 9mm 1911 this last weekend, I was able to cut my time down by four seconds for Steel Challenge.

That was my first outing with one and I am definitely going to pick one up, with some trigger time I think I can get that number way up and down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI has it figured out, big time. Ran a 40 Edge for Limited Class that I got from Frank Garcia and the thing was lights out. Other than grip modifications, nothing to tweak. Light years ahead of the first Super I had built.... </div></div>

Equipment by division, skills by class... </div></div>

First 38 Super as in what we were building in the 90's versus what comes off the shelf today.........

do you speell check two?
</div></div>

Not the point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't realize you were making one. </div></div>

Yep, I sure was.

Skill level puts you in a <span style="font-style: italic">class</span>. The classes are: Grand Master, Master, A, B, C, and D.

Equipment puts you in a <span style="font-style: italic">division</span>. There are six divisions: Open, Limited, Limited-10, Single Stack, Production, and Revolver.

People are grouped by class, equipment by division. That's the point. Sorry you missed it the first time.

If I had the money to buy a pistol for Single Stack Division it would be a Trojan just like the OP's, because they are in a class of their own, equipment-wise
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't realize you were making one. </div></div>

Yep, I sure was.

Skill level puts you in a <span style="font-style: italic">class</span>. The classes are: Grand Master, Master, A, B, C, and D.

Equipment puts you in a <span style="font-style: italic">division</span>. There are six divisions: Open, Limited, Limited-10, Single Stack, Production, and Revolver.

People are grouped by class, equipment by division. That's the point. Sorry you missed it the first time. </div></div>

So my guess is that you are an Open D......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't realize you were making one. </div></div>

Yep, I sure was.

People are grouped by class, equipment by division. That's the point. Sorry you missed it the first time. </div></div>

</div></div>

smileyvault-popcorn.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had the money to buy a pistol for Single Stack Division it would be a Trojan just like the OP's, because they are in a class of their own, equipment-wise
wink.gif
</div></div>

Sober, even with the Brazos performance package, magwell, and optic sight, it was still significantly cheaper than my TRP Operator.

Does anyone else have issue with these 9mms after about 200 rounds? Mine gets a little dirty and then gets sluggish, soon enough I am smacking the back of the slide - esp on mag changes.

Even clean it comes forward with the force of a toy.

I have had good luck thus far with both the Wilson 9mm and Tripp 9mm mags.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like it's time to replace your springs.</div></div> I'm with this man.....how many rounds total do you have down the pipe?

Great guns. My only problem with them is that the STI's that I've owned have almost all had feeding and ejection problems initially. After sending them back, they were perfect but I don't like buying a product that doesn't work out of the box. Still, I think that they're great guns for the money and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Ammo can solve those problems. Asking for a 1911 to be perfect out the box rarely happens, unless its been kissed by a smith on its way out the door......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ammo can solve those problems. Asking for a 1911 to be perfect out the box rarely happens, unless its been kissed by a smith on its way out the door...... </div></div>

That's not been my experience over twenty years or so of owning about three dozen 1911's, factory and custom. I'm still astounded by this thought that a 1911 won't run. Other than one Springfield compact and the STI's, every 1911 and 1911 variant that I've had has run flawlessly while using my preferred magazines. If they don't, it's usually just a matter of tensioning the extractor.

I am using an old worn out 10-11 pound spring in my STI 9x19. No shock buff. Maybe 5-10K on this recoil spring and no issues. Just keep it wet with oil and you should be fine. Maybe a little bit of grease on the barrel link just cause.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone else have issue with these 9mms after about 200 rounds? Mine gets a little dirty and then gets sluggish, soon enough I am smacking the back of the slide - esp on mag changes.

Even clean it comes forward with the force of a toy.

I have had good luck thus far with both the Wilson 9mm and Tripp 9mm mags.

Good luck </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ammo can solve those problems. Asking for a 1911 to be perfect out the box rarely happens, unless its been kissed by a smith on its way out the door...... </div></div>

That's not been my experience over twenty years or so of owning about three dozen 1911's, factory and custom. I'm still astounded by this thought that a 1911 won't run. Other than one Springfield compact and the STI's, every 1911 and 1911 variant that I've had has run flawlessly while using my preferred magazines. If they don't, it's usually just a matter of tensioning the extractor. </div></div>

Tight chamber, overall length, sizing/seating issues..list goes on. No one said they wouldn't run, but when you put higher demands on performance, you have to pay attention to the details. Once you start throwing the gamer cartridges (not necessarily 9mm) around it's a different story.

Most of the out of the box 1911's of today are quite a bit tighter than those of 20 years ago. My stainless series 80 is basically a rattle trap. Pretty much OTB original.

Best cure for a new gun is shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ammo can solve those problems. Asking for a 1911 to be perfect out the box rarely happens, unless its been kissed by a smith on its way out the door...... </div></div>

That's not been my experience over twenty years or so of owning about three dozen 1911's, factory and custom. I'm still astounded by this thought that a 1911 won't run. Other than one Springfield compact and the STI's, every 1911 and 1911 variant that I've had has run flawlessly while using my preferred magazines. If they don't, it's usually just a matter of tensioning the extractor. </div></div>

Tight chamber, overall length, sizing/seating issues..list goes on. No one said they wouldn't run, but when you put higher demands on performance, you have to pay attention to the details. Once you start throwing the gamer cartridges (not necessarily 9mm) around it's a different story.

Most of the out of the box 1911's of today are quite a bit tighter than those of 20 years ago. My stainless series 80 is basically a rattle trap. Pretty much OTB original.

</div></div>

Tight chambers, COAL issues, and sizing/seating/crimp issues will plague any gun. Even my S&W M&P has a short enough leade that it will stop quickly and often with ammo that is too long. I agree with you that these are all issues that need close attention, but none of them are exclusive to the 1911. The same idiots who bag on the 1911 saying that they are jammomatics are probably chasing the same issues on their own guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using an old worn out 10-11 pound spring in my STI 9x19. No shock buff. Maybe 5-10K on this recoil spring and no issues. Just keep it wet with oil and you should be fine. Maybe a little bit of grease on the barrel link just cause.</div></div>

I use grease on the slide rails, upper barrel locking lugs, barrel bushing where it contacts the barrel, link, and lower locking lugs. I also have detail stripped my guns and put a light coating of grease on the sear, disconnector, hammer, pins, and sear spring. Oil is good to prevent rust, in my experience, but grease works better on the friction points for lubrication.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I don't shoot open, but thanks for playing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Once you start throwing the gamer cartridges </div></div>

What exactly is a gamer cartridge?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Once you start throwing the gamer cartridges </div></div>

What exactly is a gamer cartridge? </div></div>

9mm major, 38 super, 38 super comp, 38 TJ, .40 S&W loaded to 1.200" or longer, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9mm major, 38 super, 38 super comp, 38 TJ, .40 S&W loaded to 1.200" or longer, etc. </div></div>

I was just being a smart ass. Guys that jump up and down and get all bent "If it isnt a 45, it isnt a 1911" make my head hurt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Double-edged</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ammo can solve those problems. Asking for a 1911 to be perfect out the box rarely happens, unless its been kissed by a smith on its way out the door...... </div></div>

</div></div>

Tight chambers, COAL issues, and sizing/seating/crimp issues will plague any gun. Even my S&W M&P has a short enough leade that it will stop quickly and often with ammo that is too long. I agree with you that these are all issues that need close attention, but none of them are exclusive to the 1911. The same idiots who bag on the 1911 saying that they are jammomatics are probably chasing the same issues on their own guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using an old worn out 10-11 pound spring in my STI 9x19. No shock buff. Maybe 5-10K on this recoil spring and no issues. Just keep it wet with oil and you should be fine. Maybe a little bit of grease on the barrel link just cause.</div></div>

I use grease on the slide rails, upper barrel locking lugs, barrel bushing where it contacts the barrel, link, and lower locking lugs. I also have detail stripped my guns and put a light coating of grease on the sear, disconnector, hammer, pins, and sear spring. Oil is good to prevent rust, in my experience, but grease works better on the friction points for lubrication.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 16 Bore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I don't shoot open, but thanks for playing.</div></div>

That was apparent when you greased the trigger. Grease for pressure, oil for lubrication. When it comes to lubricating trigger components there are only two acceptable amounts, not much and very little.

That was apparent when you greased the trigger. Grease for pressure, oil for lubrication. When it comes to lubricating trigger components there are only two acceptable amounts, not much and very little.
</div></div>

If it wasn't clear from my previous post, I don't put any more grease on the hammer/sear/disconnector/sear spring than the thinnest possible film, and then really only on the parts where they rub on the frame.

If it wasn't clear from my previous post, you don't put grease on the trigger components. Might as well use peanut butter.