• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sticking toe in suppressor water - where to start?

StevieK

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2012
Getting ready to stick my toe in the water by getting a suppressor (or three, or four). Hoping to get some info and experience from the board veterans here.

General questions (feel free to answer one or more)... I will likely be purchasing them soon, in the following order:

1) First, a 22LR direct thread 1/2x28 suppressor, for both pistols and rifles. I would like one that can also cover 22WMR and 17HMR. Any suggestions?

2) Next will be one to cover my ~30 Cal bolt and semi-auto rifles, all 5/8x24. Will be used on: (1) a 16" AR-10 308 Win, (2) a 16" AR-10 6.5 CM, (3) a bolt 6.5 CM, and (4) an SBR in 300 BLK.
Questions:
2a) Can I get away with a direct thread suppressor, or should I go QD?
2b) If I go direct thread, what cans do you like for my application?
2c) If I go QD, what system(s) do you like?

3) Next is 9mm, 40SW, and 45ACP - mostly pistols, but I do have a PCC in 9mm. Should I get one of those all-in-one caliber cans (e.g. 9mm-45ACP and everything in-between) or something else?

4) Finally, 5.56/.223. I have two AR-15 rifles and one 11.5" SBR. Ideas?

Last edited:
1.) A dedicated rimfire can is always a good choice. Get a Dead Air Mask HD. You won't regret it. One of the strongest and best .22 cans, and is rated up to .17 HMR and 5.7x28. It's a Grade-5 titanium tube, with stainless steel baffles and end caps. You can clean all the parts (except the tube) in an ultrasonic cleaner. It makes cleanup a breeze!

2.) I would opt for 2 suppressors in this category... One for your AR's & semi-autos, and another (lightweight option) for your bolt-actions and hunting rifles. For the AR's, the Dead Air Sandman-S or Nomad-30 is going to be your guy. And for lightweight for hunting and bolt-actions, I highly recommend the Dead Air Nomad-LT or the new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L suppressor.

2a.) For the AR's the Dead Air KeyMo system is tops. I also run it on my bolt-actions because the KeyMount muzzle brake helps to mitigate flame and gases on your blast baffles, so it helps your titanium suppressor to last longer. 👍🏼

2b.) Same as above, just run the standard Dead Air 5/8x24 DT adapters that come with the cans. 👍🏼

2c.) Dead Air KeyMo is the best, IMO. But everyone has their favorites, so that is always a personal preference.

3.) Rugged Obsidian 45 is quieter than most 9mm suppressors, and is rated to run up to .45-70 Gov't with a minimal of 16" barrel...It's pretty light, very strong, and really quiet. Highly recommend this for your do-all pistol/cowboy gun suppressor...Provided the rifle's barrel is 16" or longer. 👍🏼

4.) Dead Air Sandman-S or the Nomad-30 that I mentioned above will cover your SBR needs, as well. 👍🏼

Best thing is to go ahead and get a mount/brake system and 3 cans. You will be super glad you did it that way instead of one at a time. The Nomad ti is sweet as is the nomad L. I like the oculus 22lr can but the mask is a good one too. The Nomad and many other have a 1.375x24 mount end on them which I would recommend making sure whatever can you get has that. It's almost a sort of standard now but some cans still haven't adopted it. It will make your mounting options and your future cans that you will want to work with that mount all work together.

1. For the rimfire can I would recommend the Rugged Occulus. It will handle. 22 all the way to 17 HMR and WSM.
2. For the .30 cal can I would go with either the Dead Air Nomad LT or the new Thunderbeast Arms Magnus.
2abc. I have a multicaliber can (Griffin Armament Bushwhacker 46). With it I use the Area 419 Universal Adapters on each rifle and their suppressor adaptor in the can. I have used it on my .338LM bolt gun, 6.8 SPC II AR-15, .308 AR-10, and my .22-250 bolt gun. I can swap the can from each rifle with the adapters. I also have the option of using my Area 419 Hellfire Brake on everything except the .338 LM when not using the can. If you choose to go direct thread just make sure all your rifles have the same thread pitch. I would recommend 5/8-24 for the calibers you listed.
3. For pistol calibers you could go with a multi caliber can but I would agree with @fuh and recommend the Rugged Obsidian .45. I believe you can swap endcaps on that suppressor for both .9mm and. 45ACP. It is supposed to be one of the quietest. 45 cans on the market.
4. For 5.56 I would look hard at either a CGH, the Dead Air Sandman S mil contract, or the Dead Air Nomad LT.

Whatever you decide, get a centerfire suppressor with the 1.375x24 threading in the rear cap. I didn’t for my first and sort of regret it.

Think of mounts as consumables. Better to beat up the mount interface with attaching and removing a suppressor than the barrel threading.

Everyone has their favorite, so take brand/model recommendations with a grain of salt.

Between the cost of the can, the stamp, and the paperwork, you’re married to the can- do your homework first.

An all in one can will disappoint. Figure out what you really want to suppress and buy for that. It may do double duty, but you’ll be happier with a can that is really good at on job than one that is sorta sucky at several.

Buy several all at once. Get the wait out of the way. But, don’t think for an instant that you’ll stop after that. But, but, the wait is WAY easier on subsequent purchases.

Aluminum rimfire cans are not the nightmare people say they are, but they do take a bit of effort to clean. Soaking mine in Boretech C4 does the trick, with all fouling wiping off with a rag. That said, don’t shoot rimfire through your sealed centerfire cans. Keep it in the serviceable rimfire cans.

Don’t be surprised in a couple of years when you find that all of your rifles wear suppressors all of the time.

Go fishing for about a year straight. Make sure you don't catch a single fish or even get a bite.

This is what it's like getting a suppressor.

Purchase at the top of your budget, your married to it. Modularity is overrated imho, with the exception of pistol cans. Cant go wrong with surefire, or Knights( if you can find them). Dead air is another great middle of the road option. Rugged obsidian 45 is also a decent can

Reactions: FuhQ
Go fishing for about a year straight. Make sure you don't catch a single fish or even get a bite.

This is what it's like getting a suppressor.
True, unless you find a good SOT that has a range... Then it's like getting them up to the boat, but they break the line every time you try to get them in the net. 😂

But once you get your first cans home, and then you start your process for more, it makes it SO much easier. And you will never want to shoot unsuppressed again. The unfortunate side-effect is that once you start shooting suppressed, you will start to feel like other people at the range who shoot unsuppressed, are toothless savages. 🤣

Last edited:
True, unless you find a good SOT that has a range... Then it's like getting them up to the boat, but they break the line every time you try to get them in the net. 😂

But once you get your first cans home, and then you start your process for more, it makes it SO much easier. And you will never want to shoot unsuppressed again. The unfortunate side-effect is that once you start shooting suppressed, you will start to feel like other people at the range who shoot unsuppressed, are toothless savages. 🤣
More like landing the fish, then the guide says “this one is endangered and we gotta put it back…”

Everyone has their favorite, so take brand/model recommendations with a grain of salt.

Between the cost of the can, the stamp, and the paperwork, you’re married to the can- do your homework first.

An all in one can will disappoint. Figure out what you really want to suppress and buy for that. It may do double duty, but you’ll be happier with a can that is really good at on job than one that is sorta sucky at several.
This is great advice for anyone thinking of getting their first suppressor.

Reactions: Snaz
From the TBAC perspective:

22 Takedown. Super underrated. Consistently one of the quietest 22 cans.

Hunting/Lightweight = Ultra 7. Also just fine for precision gas guns.

Super quiet, or extended magnum shooting = Magnus. Quietet .30 cal can out there right now.

Fighting rifle, Dominus-K-SR.

The Fly9 is the smallest/lightest of the "quiet" 9 cans. We just published tons of data on it.

I like the OSS cans for the gas guns for the durability and low back pressure and the Thunderbeast options for the bolt guns. Use a qd mount for everything except the 23LR. I haven't run a Dominus K or Magnus yet but both
also looks great! The 338 ultra sr and 22 take down are sweet.

I would start with a direct thread can. This may mean something like a yhm r2 that you can start with just 2 caps and thread it on whatever you want. Then if you can't live without qd you can use whatever system you want.

Simple, reliable, repeatable.

QD systems are expensive and many have issues. I don't know why it's a huge deal other than the "cool factor" to have qd.
I zero with a can on and never shoot with it off, so have no need for a brake or flash hider. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to work just fine.

Covers. You'll want a cover the first time you make the mistake of touching it.
I'm a fan of the Bowers silicone covers. They will never melt, allow some cooling, and I've never launched one downrange.

Second the Bowers silicone cover. Its simplicity and durability are its greatest strengths. You just have to find one, I’m not sure they’re being made anymore.

I would start with a direct thread can. This may mean something like a yhm r2 that you can start with just 2 caps and thread it on whatever you want. Then if you can't live without qd you can use whatever system you want.

Simple, reliable, repeatable.

QD systems are expensive and many have issues. I don't know why it's a huge deal other than the "cool factor" to have qd.
I zero with a can on and never shoot with it off, so have no need for a brake or flash hider. Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to work just fine.

Covers. You'll want a cover the first time you make the mistake of touching it.
I'm a fan of the Bowers silicone covers. They will never melt, allow some cooling, and I've never launched one downrange.
The KeyMo system doesn't have any issues, and is extremely reliable and repeatable POI. I've never lost POI on a rifle with KeyMo after removing & reinstalling a suppressor. It is, however, a fairly heavy system, so it does add considerable weight to the end of the barrel. So, there is 1 downfall of it...But I wouldn't call it an "issue". For people who swap cans around a lot, and have many different makes, models, and brands of suppressors (like me), it makes being able to quickly swap them on/off for tests and videos super fast and easy. Just my $0.02.

But for hunting, I agree to go with a direct-thread setup. Regardless of your suppressor brand, if it has HUB threads, I'd go with the new Otter Creek Labs ZR0-DTA titanium direct-thread mount that weighs virtually nothing, and adds no extra length to the end of the can. The threads are recessed into the back of the can, instead of sticking out. It's a pretty genius design. I'm running one on my Hydrogen-L for my lightweight deer hunting rig, and so far, I'm really liking it.

The KeyMo system doesn't have any issues, and is extremely reliable and repeatable POI. I've never lost POI on a rifle with KeyMo after removing & reinstalling a suppressor. It is, however, a fairly heavy system, so it does add considerable weight to the end of the barrel. So, there is 1 downfall of it...But I wouldn't call it an "issue". For people who swap cans around a lot, and have many different makes, models, and brands of suppressors (like me), it makes being able to quickly swap them on/off for tests and videos super fast and easy. Just my $0.02.

But for hunting, I agree to go with a direct-thread setup. Regardless of your suppressor brand, if it has HUB threads, I'd go with the new Otter Creek Labs ZR0-DTA titanium direct-thread mount that weighs virtually nothing, and adds no extra length to the end of the can. The threads are recessed into the back of the can, instead of sticking out. It's a pretty genius design. I'm running one on my Hydrogen-L for my lightweight deer hunting rig, and so far, I'm really liking it.

All QD systems have their own nuances, and whenever carbon and heat is involved, there is always the potential for issues. Search "stuck keymo" and you will see plenty of people with "issues".

That said, I think all the modern mounting solutions are good, which includes keymo. None are completely immune from "issues", though most these days are very reliable (especially with a little care), and they each have their own nuances. Whether it's keymo, ASR, Plan B, etc, there are lots of good options out there.

To the OP, direct thread is fine. You aren't really giving much up to a "QD" system, especially on a bolt gun. If you want a QD system, I happen to like the taper 'Plan B' mount, but with Rearden MFG mounts and adapters. I find it the most elegant system out there, and it's light. There are other good systems out there as well, if you have different preferences.

The best thing to do when getting into this game is finding a great SOT/ Class 3 dealer that has a large network of companies to order from, dosn't always need to be a Silencershop dealer. Ask around your area to see who everyone uses, generally you can find out who the good guys are pretty fast.

1. Rimfire can I would go TBAC Takedown 22 or Deadair Mask
2. For 30 cal semi auto's I would look at the Sandman S, keymo is a great mount and the sandman runs great with minimal blowback. This sandman S will be a great can for your 556 and 300 blackout platforms as well.
3. For Bolt guns I would go with TBAC Ultra 9 or Ultra 7 with the CB brake mount, depending on desired length.
4. For pistols I would get a 45 can and use it on all of your hosts, check out the Rugged Obsidian 45. They sell a 3 lug adapter and fixed barrel adapters for these for PCC's.

Reactions: pineoak
1) First, a 22LR direct thread 1/2x28 suppressor, for both pistols and rifles. I would like one that can also cover 22WMR and 17HMR. Any suggestions?
TBAC 22 Takedown - as an aside its also one of the very few cans rated for 5.7x28 pistol cartridges!

2) Next will be one to cover my ~30 Cal bolt and semi-auto rifles, all 5/8x24. Will be used on: (1) a 16" AR-10 308 Win, (2) a 16" AR-10 6.5 CM, (3) a bolt 6.5 CM, and (4) an SBR in 300 BLK.
I really like the Magnus Suppressor from TBAC, and I really like Secondary retention (the TBAC SR brake) which means I don't have to worry about it coming loose - this brake interface is also available on the Dominus, Dominus-K and 338 Ultra as well...

Questions:
2a) Can I get away with a direct thread suppressor, or should I go QD?
-I think most of the recommendations are QD, and for reasons above, I like the SR version which locks into place so I don't have to worry about anything coming loose when moving with my rifle.

2b) If I go direct thread, what cans do you like for my application?
2c) If I go QD, what system(s) do you like?
- I like QD with SR (Secondary Retention) since it secures the suppressor definitively to the barrel

3) Next is 9mm, 40SW, and 45ACP - mostly pistols, but I do have a PCC in 9mm. Should I get one of those all-in-one caliber cans (e.g. 9mm-45ACP and everything in-between) or something else?
- I think there getting a modular pistol caliber suppressor is your best bet. Something like the new Fly9 from TBAC, but there are others out there as well.

4) Finally, 5.56/.223. I have two AR-15 rifles and one 11.5" SBR. Ideas?
- I would go (and I have) with the Dominus-K SR so you can swap across rifles and you have secondary retention on the platforms.
The Dominus-K is a Hard Use rated suppressor which you will want for the SBR IMO.

Here is some info from TBAC's website about their "Hard Use" rating. I really appreciate their publishing the data and what their definition means not just "Full Auto Rated"...

DOMINUS-SR CATEGORY: "HARD-USE/FULL-AUTO" [HU/FA]​

Lifetime to exceed at least 10 SURGE cycles on a 10.5" M4 / MK18.

One SOCOM/SURGE CYCLE comprises
Mag 1: 1 round/second
Mag 2: 2 rounds/second
Mag 3: 1 round/second
Mag 4: 3-5 round burst
Mag 5: 1 round/second
Mag 6: 2 rounds/second
Mag 7: 1 round/second
Mag 8: 1 continuous burst
Outlined in Section 3.6.1.i. in Solicitation H92222-17-R-0011

The basis for this is the SOCOM/SURGE specification, which is a common heavy firing schedule specified in many military solicitations. One SURGE cycle is 8 magazines fired in this pattern, with magazine changes happening as quickly as possible. After a full 8-magazine cycle, the suppressor and firearm is allowed to cool to ambient. This firing schedule significantly exceeds the worst-case application of assault rifles and battle rifles. A milspec M4 needs service and inspection after each cycle to keep operating.

He's just getting started. Threads are easy and cheap.

I haven't found a qd system yet that is so substantially faster than threads that it matters. I have fucked with plenty of carbon seized qd systems that required getting out wrenches, which kinda defeats the purpose.

You can run whatever mount system you want. It's not the best thing to add all the extra confusion and cost for someone getting started. They now need a $100 mount for each rifle or end up moving the mount with the threads anyways.

The cans with a swappable cap for the option to do both are the best starter cans, so you can switch later if desired.

The best part of a "QD" thread is not that it is fast, but that it is replaceable. Bugger up the threads on the mount and buy a new mount- the threads on the barrel are protected. Secondary benefit is many act as brakes or flash hiders when not acting as a suppressor mount.

Reactions: FuhQ and E. Bryant
He's just getting started. Threads are easy and cheap.

I haven't found a qd system yet that is so substantially faster than threads that it matters. I have fucked with plenty of carbon seized qd systems that required getting out wrenches, which kinda defeats the purpose.

You can run whatever mount system you want. It's not the best thing to add all the extra confusion and cost for someone getting started. They now need a $100 mount for each rifle or end up moving the mount with the threads anyways.

The cans with a swappable cap for the option to do both are the best starter cans, so you can switch later if desired.
By design it’s HIGHLY unlikely to ever carbon lock a KeyMo.

In my opinion,

1: TBAC 22TD or DA Mask

2: I’d get a Sandman-S for my AR stuff including my SBR’s… then I’d get a TBAC Magnus or 338 Ultra for precision stuff and super quiet… if looking to hunt maybe an ultra 7… if using less than a 18-20” barrel I’d have no problem with a magnus hunting.. anything over that I’d go U7 personally.

3: Rugged Obsidian 45… works awesome on all pistols and you can even blast 45/70, 350 legend, 450bm etc.

4: I wouldn’t waste my time on a 223/556 can. Just get a sandman and be way more versatile and happy.

I own 20 suppressors… if I could only have 4 it would be:

TBAC 22TD
TBAC Magnus (for target and hunting)
DA Sandman-S (for SBRs and DMR setups)
DA Primal (because I can only hunt with straight walled cartridges in SE MI)

For the rimfire and rifle options:
Dead Air
Thunderbeast
KGM

For the pistol calibers:
Rugged
Dead Air

Just looking at the amount of innovation and support for their product these companies are stellar.

1. For the rimfire I would go with either. TBAC 22 Takedown or Rugged Oculus. I have the TBAC now and and very happy with it. My Oculus is in jail for a few more months. I bought the Oculus because it is 17 WSM rated. It was the only rimfire can I could find rated for that.
2. For the 30 cal can I would look at the Deadair Sandman or Nomad series as well as the TBAC Dominus and Magnus. I have a buddy that has a Rugged surge that he runs on a .300BO and .308. He is happy with it and I think the tone is great. Only issue to me with the Rugged cans is you have to use there break so that limits your mounting options. I use Area 419 mounts on all my rifles. For hard use TBAC SR mount is my favorite. Keymo is a good system but gets expensive and adds weight wnd length.
3. For the pistol can get a Rugged Obsidian 45. Probably one of the best pistol cans available. It is on my wish list. That combined with a Griffen Armament ezlock or camlock system makes mounting it from pistol to pistol very easy and secure.
4. For 5.56 like others have said either the Sandman or Dominus.

1. For the rimfire I would go with either. TBAC 22 Takedown or Rugged Oculus. I have the TBAC now and and very happy with it. My Oculus is in jail for a few more months. I bought the Oculus because it is 17 WSM rated. It was the only rimfire can I could find rated for that.
2. For the 30 cal can I would look at the Deadair Sandman or Nomad series as well as the TBAC Dominus and Magnus. I have a buddy that has a Rugged surge that he runs on a .300BO and .308. He is happy with it and I think the tone is great. Only issue to me with the Rugged cans is you have to use there break so that limits your mounting options. I use Area 419 mounts on all my rifles. For hard use TBAC SR mount is my favorite. Keymo is a good system but gets expensive and adds weight wnd length.
3. For the pistol can get a Rugged Obsidian 45. Probably one of the best pistol cans available. It is on my wish list. That combined with a Griffen Armament ezlock or camlock system makes mounting it from pistol to pistol very easy and secure.
4. For 5.56 like others have said either the Sandman or Dominus.
The Mask HD has 17-4 stainless baffles and a Grade-5 Ti tube. It is full-auto 5.7x28 rated…I’m sure it can handle .17 WSM, as well, but maybe @Mageever can confirm for us. 👍🏼

I saw where it was rated for 17 HMR. I didn't see the 17 WSM rating. Thanks for the info.
Yeah, would be nice if they threw all the ratings up on their website, I called and got confirmation from them though. They’re always super fast to answer the phone and get the info you need.