• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Sticky bolt when fired/ locking issues

blackgoat

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2014
SE LA
I bought an old Savage 110e for cheap at a gun show about a month ago. It is in 7mm Remington Magnum but the rifling looks like it is in decent shape. So I took it down a little bit and cleaned it lightly; bore brush, brushed the chamber, and took the bolt down. I took it to the range with a box of nickel plated 150 grain hornady bullets that I picked up from the same gun show.

The problem I am having is this one round refused to chamber; the bolt won't lock down on it no matter what. The other rounds chamber and shot fine but after every shot the bolt wouldn't open easily. I brought my multitool and had to beat the bolt handle open after every shot.

So I went home, took everything down; action off the stock and broke the bolt down again. I brushed the chamber again with a copper brush, stuffed some cotton balls in it and applied some brakefree and let it soak for about an hour. Then I brushed it again while applying some more brakefree, wiped it dry and hit it with some good lubricant.

Haven't had the chance to take it back out to the range yet. I've been getting some equipment together for reloading, cleaning brass, etc. now all I need is powder and primers. So I took the brass from the round that wouldn't lock down, loaded a bullet into it without primer/powder, and it STILL DON'T LOCK DOWN.

I have no idea what could be causing this, any ideas where to go from here? Pretty sure someone is going to say gunsmith which is probably what I should do but I would like to exhaust all DIY options first.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but from what you've described and my own experience with a Savage 10, it sounds like a head space issue. A set of go no-go gauges will tell you for sure. Lucky for you, setting the headspace on a Savage is relatively easy. But, when it doubt, don't listen to some schmuck on the internet, take it to a gunsmith instead... Good luck