• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sticky Expander Dremel on .45 ACP

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
I hate to post this here, but I am at a loss for fixing it. So, I run a Dillon 550C, and when it comes to handgun cartridges, the .45 ACP is no fun what so ever. When I run the case through the bullet expander/powder drop, the case is a horror. The case sticks to the expander, and it literally moves the entire reloading table. Do deal with this, I have been wiping the expander mouth on the press with case lube every 5 rounds. This does help, but makes me wonder about lube in the case. Also, I tried lubing the the inside of the case head, and that worked awesome. But then again, I wonder about case lube coming into contact with the powder. Hence, not so Bueno. So my question is this. Has anyone else here dealt with this issue? And it's only on my .45 ACP. My 9mm Case expander/Powder drop is like butter. Works awesome. It's at the point where I have been purchasing .45 ACP cartridges because I hate loading .45 ACP so much. The best remedy has been lubing the inside of the case mouth. But like I mentioned above, I am worried about the powder being in contact with that case lube. So I have been wiping lube on the rim of the expander every 5 rounds. Pain in the arse. Anyone else here ever dealt with this on a Dillon 550C?

I use a 550B.

Sticking expander/powder drop isn’t uncommon, especially with brand new brass or wet tumbled brass. Brass tumbled in corn cob with a little car wax doesn’t exhibit this problem.

The quick fix is to pull the expander, chuck it in your drill press and polish it with 220. You could go finer if you like. Just knocking the tool marks down a bit fixed mine. That, and going back to media tumbling instead of wet tumbling.

Reactions: Modoc and ShtrRdy
Are you saying the powder funnel is somehow sticking to the inside of the case mouth?

Reactions: RLinNH
Not sure about doing this on a 550, but I run a Lyman M die, in the priming station on a 1050, so it “bells” the case before powder drop. ZERO stick on all my pistol cartridges

My first thought would be that you have it adjusted way too far down.

I set mine up with minimum "penetration", just enough to cycle the powder measure all the way, and a tiny kiss more if I'm shaving lead bullets badly when I seat the bullet.

(or the OD of the expander (funnel) is a tad too wide.)

Last edited:
I had this problem with virgin starline brass in 357 and 45 ACP. It was even leaving brass streaks on the funnel. I polished the funnel and then just started tumbling ALL of my virgin brass in my older walnut media (I’ve got 3 vibratory tumblers). The carbon residue helped lubricate the cases. And helped reduce the problem.

New or wet tumbled? Try spray some One Shot on your brass or tumbling them in dry media with some polish.

Had this problem on new starline in 10mm. Once fired with carbon in the necks runs smooth.

The lube won’t hurt a thing, just get it once fired and it’ll smooth out.

Just another reason I’m not a freak about having spotless inside and out brass.

Reactions: Modoc
New Star Line .45 ACP brass. WHile loading up some 6.5 this evening, I came across a brand new set of Dillon Carbide dies. I may replace the carbide Reddington set I have with this Dillon set. Not everything. Just the powder drop/funnel...