• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing stiff bolt on 700 SPS .223

loch

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2009
Hi all.

My dear wife decided that now she really has the shooting bug, and we've bought her her first bolt rifle a 700 SPS in .223. The gun is remarkably accurate for not being free floated or bedded, and she shoots it pretty well (this being the second time she used a bolt gun with a scope she put 10 rounds in about 1.5 inches at 100yards with factory ammo)

The only issue is that closing the bolt is very stiff. It seems that getting the extractor over the rim is the issue. To me the bolt is stiff and requires a good healthy push, to her it is a real bear, she is 5ft tall and without a lot of upper body strength and she really has to lean on it and get some shoulder into it. The bolt opens just fine, and closes on a empty chamber just fine. I see no obvious signs of overpressure so I think the chamber is fine. Repeatedly closing the bolt over an empty case seems to chew up the case rim after a bit so I'm fairly certain the fault is with the extractor.

I know close to nothing about 700's so ... how the hell do I fix this? Is it something that will just break in or is there something else I can do

Re: stiff bolt on 700 SPS .223

maybe the ejector is a bit gummed up, you can try to flush it out with some clp and dry dry off the bolt face.

The ejector seems to be moving as it should, ejection is positive. I striped the bolt, cleaned, etc. The problem remains.

how bout the extactor claw? any kind of burr you can see? if you have a wooden dowel or chopstick try flexing the claw out wards to see if it's binding.

also, is there grease applied in the rear camming area? and a bit behind the 2 forward lugs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRENCHHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how bout the extactor claw? any kind of burr you can see? if you have a wooden dowel or chopstick try flexing the claw out wards to see if it's binding. </div></div>

as stated above and also at same time using tool of some sort looking at the bolt make sure the extractor is rotated completely to the left or counter clock wise. Sounds like trash under the extractor or it is not rotated. Also have you cleaned the action lug faces?

I don't see any burrs on the claw, I can move it with a dowel, but there seems it be a bit of a gritty feel to its movement. This being the first 700 I've done this to, I don't know what its supposed to feel like. I think the issue is the claw snapping over the rim, if I lift the handle bolt handle, pull the bolt a bit back and then bring it back down it feels much smoother with the case already under claw, the pressure is coming from the initial snap over.

you can also check out the snap ring that holds the extractor in place it may be not be seated in its grove and when you close the bolt it cause it to hang up on the case rim

new or used rifle?
round count?
stiff brush on bolt face under extractor blow out with brake/carb cleaner, brush some more blow out again then try.

How far to the left should it be rotated? It seems the "wing" is about 1/8th from the ejector. Should it be all the way?

looks pretty normal, and yes the claw will come back to center by its self. when you chamber a round are you just sliding the bolt forward and trying to lock the handle down?

try putting forward pressure on the handle then lock it down, see if that helps

I can push forward as much as I want to, it makes no difference. Of course I push forward slightly when closing the bolt, and I can feel the ejector compressing. When turning the bolt, the first few degrees feel normal and then I hit a wall the requires serious muscle. Every time I push chamber a case, a small sliver is being shaved off the rim or the rim is bent slightly. I do this long enough and there a brass shavings all over the bolt face. It is almost as if the extractor doesn't travel far enough outwards.

How far is the extractor supposed to bend? Is it supposed to get flush with the inner circumference, mine doesn't.

The relief cut for the extractor may not be cut properly or could have a burr. If it was mine and could not check it for myself I would carry it to a smith or contact remington.

I have a 700sps Tac in .308. Stiff. Very stiff. After about 100 rounds it has worked in nicely. I really love this rifle. Couldn't have asked for more. Give it another 50 or so rounds.

I called Remington today, they said it should break in, but just in case they are sending me a spare extractor so if it doesn't I can pop out the existing one and check for burrs or crud behind it.

I'm beginning to suspect there is something behind it. If I manually rotate the extractor a few times (and it does feel gritty doing it) every now and then it seems to get in a position where closing the bolt on a case feels perfect and smooth, but the next time its back to crap. I'm guessing there is something there moving around.

What brand of ammo are you using? Reloads? This stiffness may have something to do with the case shape, and how it fits into the chamber. I was shooting a box of .308 reloads yesterday, with my son. We had a round that even I could not close the bolt on. Ejected, handed him another, slide, slap, ready to fire. Being a reload, I would assume the case did not resize quite right.
Your problem may be in the chamber, not the bolt.

My first suspicions would be with quality control, something with which Big Green has had occasional problems.

Headspace may be on the shorter side (owing to the problem on closing, but not on opening after firing), or the throating may be short, creating inteference when the bullet seats deeply into the rifling on chambering.

Color the bullet of a live round with a permanent black marker and then (safety engaged) chamber and extract the round. Hf rifling marks can be seen spaced regularly around the forward end of the widest portion of the bullet, the bullet is entering the rifling. If they are relatively long, this could be the source of the problem.

Do the same test, coloring the case shoulder. If it's generating significant shiny marks on the front and edge curve, headspace is snug, and this shouldn't be happening with factory ammo.

And for the "D'oh folks", obviously we need to ensure the chamber is clean and free of foreign obstructions.

Greg

I shot a new SPS Tactical in 223 and it did the same thing. I was about to post a question but you beat me to it!!! Maybe a quality control issue from Remington.

I gave Remington a call and they said send it back. Just got it sighted in and ready for a hog hunt!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stillbuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The relief cut for the extractor may not be cut properly or could have a burr. If it was mine and could not check it for myself I would carry it to a smith or contact remington. </div></div>

I have seen more then one .223 that the extractor relief was not cut properly (not deep enough). If you push in on the extractor claw the extractor should have flex to it and it should push in, then spring back. If not there is crap behind the extractor or extractor relief wasn't machined properly.

I got the spare extractor from Remington, but I decided to give it a bit longer before I replace it. It seems to be breaking in a bit, and I think the problem is rust. When I put the bolt under a strong light and took a careful look, I saw some rust colored layer in the channel. I've soaked the area in CLP, let it stand, blast it with gun scrubber, re-CLP, and repeat a few times. It seems to have loosened up the whole works a bit. At the next range session, the bolt was nowhere near as stiff though there was still a bit of a hangup when the extractor jumped over rim.

Seeing how the rifle was a bit of an impulse buy at Cabelas, I have no idea how long it sat on a shelf, so its possible it got a spot of rust under there that's now breaking down. I hope it break in some more. If it doesn't I'll replace the extractor and see whats under it.

Thank you all.