• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Still any love for the 6mm GT???

Buzzbee

Go Cowboys
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2018
deciding on caliber for shooting steel to 800 with a 6mm. i was first in love with the Dasher. The the tried and true 6mm BR. then had an opportunity to buy a gun in 6mm GT. and there is still the Creedmoor.

i don't turn necks or use bushing dies. i like to keep it simple. i'm an older guy. my running is over. and my patients thin.

6mmGT is interesting.

I like my 6cm but I’ve been told the GT might be a better case for my purpose

deciding on caliber for shooting steel to 800 with a 6mm. i was first in love with the Dasher. The the tried and true 6mm BR. then had an opportunity to buy a gun in 6mm GT. and there is still the Creedmoor.

i don't turn necks or use bushing dies. i like to keep it simple. i'm an older guy. my running is over. and my patients thin.

6mmGT is interesting.
If you are truly wanting to only ring steel to 800 and you're set on a 6mm, the BR is the clear winner. If nothing else, more mfg adoption and less powder consumption - factors that could be vital for the next few years

If you are truly wanting to only ring steel to 800 and you're set on a 6mm, the BR is the clear winner. If nothing else, more mfg adoption and less powder consumption - factors that could be vital for the next few years
👆

6XC. It's basically a 6CM after a weekend of fasting. It's based on the .22-250 case rather than the 30TC case. Capacity is marginally smaller than a 6CM. You get decently longer throat life than a 6CM with comparable ballistic performance. Headstamped small primer or large primer brass is easy to get (davidtubb.com). They also carry 115gr DTAC projectiles and reamers and dies and I've never seen them to be out of stock. Add powder and primers (yeah, I know, good luck with that) and you're shooting. 6GT seems like a way to burn even less powder and make even less recoil but I think it'll fall by the wayside. 6ARC is similar but since it is really AR food anyway, I think we'll see a share of that kind of thing in bolt guns before long. And, it has none of the feeding problems that the BR does. It feeds just like a .308.

Reactions: Kire44
I'm going to stay lame and stick with 6mm Creedmoor.

You hear people saying how finicky and hard to tune it is all the time, but that hasn't been my experience at all. Brass is cheap and relatively easy to find, LRP's are WAY easier to find than SRP's for now and the foreseeable future (the vast army of AR-ninjas out there aren't looking to horde all the LRP's lol), and if I ever wanted to sell off my rig or barrel to switch gears or upgrade I'm not stuck with reloaders-only as potential buyers since guys can buy factory ammo for it if they need to.

IMHO the 6GT doesn't do anything amazing enough to bother switching right now... but, it would save me around ~10 grains of powder per round vs 6creed, so if it ever becomes a factory cartridge and becomes more ubiquitous I might go there, but not now.

All the cool kids can have fun hunting down Varget, mag kits, and pricey brass for their 6BR/Dasher's lol.

Last edited:
Don't go full gay tiger.

Attachments

• 20210203_231146.jpg
    20210203_231146.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 604
Holy crap that’s cool. Even though your rifle clearly says “Gay Tiger” for everyone to see.

Reactions: Juggerxxx
Tried and true 6mmBR. Nothing wrong with all the cartridges that have been around for years. They all basically do same job these new offerings. It’s just $$$.

I don’t mean to hijack your thread but has anyone messed around with the 6mm ARC?

Tried and true 6mmBR. Nothing wrong with all the cartridges that have been around for years. They all basically do same job these new offerings. It’s just $$$.

Not really... they don't really all do the same things: 6BR is probably the answer for most, but add a bunch of wind going out past 600 and suddenly the Dasher starts looking really good... now there's the Gay Tiger to try and get what the Dasher offers without having to deal with mag kits and feeding headaches... the 6GT is catching on for good reason IMO.

I just haven't had any issues with 6mm Creedmoor other than barrel life, but barrel life sucks with all the 6mm's anyways, might as well go fast.

Not really... they don't really all do the same things: 6BR is probably the answer for most, but add a bunch of wind going out past 600 and suddenly the Dasher starts looking really good... now there's the Gay Tiger to try and get what the Dasher offers without having to deal with mag kits and feeding headaches... the 6GT is catching on for good reason IMO.

I just haven't had any issues with 6mm Creedmoor other than barrel life, but barrel life sucks with all the 6mm's anyways, might as well go fast.
I understand 👍🏼 But he’s only talking to 800m on steel. Don’t want it to be boringly easy. Cheers.

love that i mage on the barrel.So where did the Gay stuff co me from? I have a6mmARC and two 6GT's.

When it first came out, someone, somewhere saw the GT and called it "Gay Tiger." And it caught on virally.

At first George and company didn't care for the name. But it actually turned out to be a hell of a marketing tool by accident. Now they just lean into it and go with it.

Never tried the Dasher or BR but have the 6CM and 6GT. I shied away from the BR variants due to the famous feeding issues. The GT has been one of the easiest cartridges to develop a load for that I’ve ever tried. Brass is good quality, no fire forming, barrels and components all fairly easy to get.

Gay or not, the GT is good to go.

When it first came out, someone, somewhere saw the GT and called it "Gay Tiger." And it caught on virally.

At first George and company didn't care for the name. But it actually turned out to be a hell of a marketing tool by accident. Now they just lean into it and go with it.
Yea, George Gardner and Tom Jacobs from GA Precision came up with 6GT to make for a better feeding cartridge that did not require custom mag followers.

The name came from a thread that was posted here on Sniper Hide and the article the link came from about the history of the 6GT.

I really like my 6GTs.I Aldo like and shoot my 6mmARC too.I shoot it at 1000 ya0rds.I built it because I had a AR15 6ZmmARC that hammered at 600 so. I
Never tried the Dasher or BR but have the 6CM and 6GT. I shied away from the BR variants due to the famous feeding issues. The GT has been one of the easiest cartridges to develop a load for that I’ve ever tried. Brass is good quality, no fire forming, barrels and components all fairly easy to ge

Gay or not, the GT is good to go.
I've been shooting 6gt for over 2 yrs.I had a 6BR AI and rechambered it to 6GT.I Actually have two 6GT's.
One for PRS & one for 600 & 1000 yard matches. I shoot the 103 VTac and 105 & 109 Berger as well às 112 and 115gr.Its a really good round

I was going to do a 6BR for my AI-AT but my smith talked me into the GT. Will be doing mostly 600yd F-Class and maybe try an NRL Hunter or field match. Initially wanted a BR just because I wanted a 6mm with decent barrel life but the extra velocity will help me hedge my wind calls.

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
I was going to do a 6BR for my AI-AT but my smith talked me into the GT. Will be doing mostly 600yd F-Class and maybe try an NRL Hunter or field match. Initially wanted a BR just because I wanted a 6mm with decent barrel life but the extra velocity will help me hedge my wind calls.
Good choice.The 6BRs have gad feeding issues.Im glad I switched too.

Reactions: Wolf762x51
love that i mage on the barrel.So where did the Gay stuff co me from? I have a6mmARC and two 6GT's.
I always thought it had to do with Tiger King thing since they came about at the same time as well as the play on the G and T in the 6GT

I’m planning on a 6GT barrel for my Desert Tech SRS-M2 because it’s the smallest 6mm I can run in those mags. I was on the fence until Lapua announced brass, pushed me over the edge. Planning on a 30” 1.250 straight contour. With the short overall package of the SRS might as well go long and get free speed.

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
For NRL Hunter, you can only run 6GT in Skills division. .243/6mm is good to go in Factory, but needs 2.700" min length per SAAMI max length spec, which effectively narrows it down to .243win and 6 creed I think (and there are no 6GT factory rifles that will meet the rifle specs anyway).

Source: Section 4.A.1.c

For NRL Hunter, you can only run 6GT in Skills division. .243/6mm is good to go in Factory, but needs 2.700" min length per SAAMI max length spec, which effectively narrows it down to .243win and 6 creed I think (and there are no 6GT factory rifles that will meet the rifle specs anyway).

Source: Section 4.A.1.c
Negative 1911Shootist... Bergara make a factory rifle chambered in 6GT

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Also though... there were no caliber minimums in NRL Hunter One, which I guess they're calling NRL Hunter Games this year? I assume the rules are largely the same...?

(not that it matters to me, because look at those locations)
Yeah I live in Maine so Im screwed. Not much up here besides High Power, F Class and USPSA.

1911shootest..I don,t know the rifle weight. I Just replied that they do make a factory rifle the 6GT caliber. It may not or it may fit the weight requirement

Any updates on the 6GT, is it still consider good or is it bad? im reading alot of both right now

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: John Glidewell
a lot of inconsistent velocity readings and not the best MOA groups, 30+ SDs stuff like that, im considering on building a 6GT or 6CM
I’m starting to have pretty poor results with my 6GT, even though I’m only ~500 rounds in. Not sure if it’s the ammo, barrel, or other, but I’m slapping a 6C barrel on. Early on, the factory 6GT ammo made decent groups, but chrono performance has always been lackluster.

Reactions: uortiz
If the OP finds bushing dies complex this is the wrong game for him to be playing.

6mmGT is interesting.

What "problems" specifically are people having? It's obviously been out for quite some time an other than some early brass issues, there haven't been too many widespread complaints.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
a lot of inconsistent velocity readings and not the best MOA groups, 30+ SDs stuff like that, im considering on building a 6GT or 6CM
6GT is known to be consistent…. That being said, the 6CM is as well if you don’t try to under load it. 6 Creed is great, just going to burn barrels somewhat faster

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Factory ammo inconsistent? Unpossible.

Even Berger Ammunition has pretty decent ES/SD, and that shit *shoots*.

Don't think many folks handloading 6GT are experiencing issues with accuracy or velocity variance.

Imma have to give it a whirl then been very interested in it.