• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Still having issues with 4th gen Glock 17

jrservices

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
Crossville, TN
OK, I have a new 4th gen glock 17 with about 500 rounds through it. It has jammed a few times each time i take it to the range. It will not fully eject the empty brass sometimes, it will load the next live round but an empty case will be stuck in the slide. I know there has been issues with the recoil spring. I called glock and they said that I currently have the newest production spring but that they are going to have a new one to help resolve these issues BUT they cannot tell me when they will send one... SO I ordered a Jager 15 lb recoil spring and rod hoping this will resolve the issues. I also installed a glockworx trigger. The trigger is awesome but I still had two malfunctions, empty cases stuck in the slide. The gun ejects the empty brass up... I got hit in the head several times with empty brass. I am starting to wonder if its a recoil spring issue still as I can loosely hold the gun (severe limp wrist) and it will still cycle but sometimes with a firm grip it jams... and the brass straight up is really annoying too. I own 5 glocks and this is the ONLY one that malfunctions. I have a 4th gen glock 22 and it runs great. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Re: Still having issues with 4th gen Glock 17

Extractor and ejector are the two parts folks are testing out.

The recoil spring isn't the issue.

Apex is working on an extractor, and the Lone Wolf extractor is getting some attention as well. I believe some folks have modified their ejectors with a file, but I don't completely know what changes they've been making.

first and foremost try diff ammo! start small operator, ammo, mag, spring, throw it in the lake

Get Glock on the phone, and if it needs to go back to them return it to stock before sending it in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get Glock on the phone, and if it needs to go back to them return it to stock before sending it in. </div></div>

^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^

I had a G36 that had a tight recoil spring. I locked the slide back and let it sit that way for several weeks. It seemed to do the trick along with using hotter loads. Federal ammo wasn't hot enough to cycle the slide completely. I went back to WWB and haven't had any issues since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get Glock on the phone, and if it needs to go back to them return it to stock before sending it in. </div></div>
Glock doesn't know how to fix these problems, that's the point.

Bill Rogers (as in Rogers Shooting School) had modified their ejectors and seen an improvement.

If you look at the high-speed video (vurwappen blog has some great footage) you will note extreemly inconsistent ejection patterns. Also, the newer Glock extractors are different than the older ones...which is why you are seeing these same problems show up on Gen 3 9mm guns as well.

Look up the threads on GlockTalk and M4Carbine. I've posted pictures on the different extractors here:
http://www.firearmstrainingandtactics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1546&page=1

IMAG0191.jpg

See the visable dip in the newer one? All Glocks (3rd and 4th Gen) have been shipping with these for over a year. Folks are seeing problems start showing up after 4-5k rounds, when the guns were flawless before.

Glock went and changed the specs on their parts (likely to cut costs), and is paying the price. People all over are reporting problems with their 9mm Glocks in both Gen 3 and Gen 4. Glock has yet to fix these problems.

If you want to send it back to Glock, maybe they'll give you a new extractor and fix the problem for a few thousand rounds. That said, there is yet to be a definite fix for this issue.

Ouch!!

This is really going to hurt Glock. The only thing they had going for them was their sledgehammer style reliability.

Theyre ugly and dont feel good in most peoples hands....now throw in reliability problems that the Gen 4 seems to be plagued with and thats not a good recipe.

Dont get me wrong, I love Glocks, I own four of them.....more than any other specific manufacturer.

But theyre all Gen 3's except for one Gen 1. They have all ran like Swiss watches which is why they stay in my safe.

1-3 are great Gen's, I had the option of buying a used gen 3 or a new gen 4... Went with the 3 and never looked back. The option to change grips is cool and all but not when I want it to shoot correctly. JMHO try and get a trade for an earlier Glock Gen.

I am left handed and like the reversible mag release, now if I can just get it to cycle....

Try the LWD extractor replacement:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=298283

It's a <$20 possible fix with shipping that's worked well for a fair number of people. While it probably won't solve 100% of the erratic ejection issues, it's the best known option at this time.

I also have one of these on order in addition to the LWD extractor to try to fix my FTE issues:

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=126833&CAT=708

I will conduct a test with both and see if either, or both solve or reduce my issues over the next few weeks.

I've tried a LWD SS guide rod and 13 lb. ISMI spring with the Gen 4 adaptor and received more FTEs than with the stock spring. I don't think it's a spring issue. I have the 2 1 0 marked RSA in my Gen 4 G17, which I believe is the most current.

I've also tried the Rodger's school modification of the ejector without success (.040" removed, 10 degree "up" angle on the ejector). It's possible I didn't get the right angle on mine since I was working by hand with files and stones, however.