• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiller Action in a AICS stock?

mildot326

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2004
Any troops done it? Pics would be nice?
Even better if its a "lefty"
smile.gif

Re: Stiller Action in a AICS stock?

I put a Stiller TAC300 W/Jewell trigger and Bartlein barrel in an AICS 1.5 LA last year. I had to mill a little clearance for the safety - I understand that the newer AICS already comes that way - and I had to mill out some clearance with a 1/2" ball end mill for the bolt handle so it didn't hit the stock when it was closed. Minor details. Other than that, it fit fine and it works great.

Sorry, I don't do pics
smile.gif

Thanks for the "heads up"
Overall how do you rate the Stiller action?
I could have gone with a Rem, but wanted something more?
Are you using there scope rail as well?
Cheers

I really like my Stiller TAC300. The bolt handle is positioned just right, it falls into my hand for easy operation. The action is nice and smooth, feels real good. I like the side bolt release a whole lot, it's much easier to use than the stamdard M700. Stiller put a Jewell trigger on it per my request, as this rifle doesn't see the dirt very much. It's the best trigger I own. I opted for Stillers 20MOA scope base. It's very well made, precise, and you sure can't beat it for the $.

I sat down with paper and pencil before I ordered my Stiller action and figured out that the Stiller was actually a much better deal than if I bought a new M700 action and paid for all the work that it would take to make it "right". I think that you'd probably have to spend several hundred dollars more to get a better custom action value than a Stiller.

I really like my Stiller action and would buy another in a heartbeat!

Thanks, your remarks echo my feelings in coming to a decision to go with a Stiller action. I trust that the mods made to the AICS stock can be accomplished by any gunsmith? is any experience necessary with the stock?
I'm going with a REM trigger, unless otherwise directed.
+1 for the Stiller base as well.

You don't have to make any mods to an AICS for a stiller action. The only mods to the stock will be for a lug and maybe trigger any other mods would just be minor fitting just like on any other stock.

James

Go with the stiller base or you will have to use a 2 piece remi base as the stiller action is round front and rear.

James

Thanks for the FYI, my smith told me the same.
Cheers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stratos286</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't have to make any mods to an AICS for a stiller action. The only mods to the stock will be for a lug and maybe trigger any other mods would just be minor fitting just like on any other stock.

James</div></div>

Stiller supplies a standard Remington spec recoil lug with the TAC30 and TAC300 actions, so no mods to the AICS are necessary to fit the recoil lug that is included with the action.

On the other hand, I had to use a 1/2" ball end mill to slightly deepen and lengthen the bolt handle recess in my AICS to fit the Stiller TAC300 bolt handle so the stem of the handle would not make contact with the chassis when the bolt was fully closed. I was informed by a very reputable gunsmith that it's not good for accuracy to have the bolt handle touch the stock, so I followed that advice.

This mod, and the mod necessary to clearance for the safety on my Jewell trigger (on my two-year-old AICS) was very easy to do. A professional gunsmith was not needed, just the use of a vertical mill and some machining experience.