• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stiller bolt nose recess?

i use standard .010 over on the short actions and i would follow the print for the magnums which you can get off stillers sight.

That's a great idea if you're not planning on doing a bunch. It's what was used before these came along anyways. I'm in your same shoes since I only do one occasionally anymore.

That's a great idea if you're not planning on doing a bunch. It's what was used before these came along anyways. I'm in your same shoes since I only do one occasionally anymore.

Yeah. I have them from 20 cal to #3 in .705, 708 and 720.

I did it with a boring bar earlier and ended up going .745". Worked great. Chamber is done. Just need to do the brake, cerakote and throw it together. Can't wait to shoot it.

Bolt to tenon clearances serve some less than obvious purposes. Metering of expelled gas and debris as well as extractor containment, in the event of case rupture are a couple. Also related to this is the ability of the bolt nose to expand to fit the counterbore in extreme overpressure instances. The depth is also critical for these reasons as well as to prevent too much unsupported case.

I read years ago that the Remington "three rings of steel" was designed with .003"-.005" clearance on these surfaces as being optimal. I agree with Mr. Stiller's drawing.

We could debate reliability issues with tighter tolerances, but they don't really matter if your face and eyes are full of brass.

Bolt to tenon clearances serve some less than obvious purposes. Metering of expelled gas and debris as well as extractor containment, in the event of case rupture are a couple. Also related to this is the ability of the bolt nose to expand to fit the counterbore in extreme overpressure instances. The depth is also critical for these reasons as well as to prevent too much unsupported case.

I read years ago that the Remington "three rings of steel" was designed with .003"-.005" clearance on these surfaces as being optimal. I agree with Mr. Stiller's drawing.

We could debate reliability issues with tighter tolerances, but they don't really matter if your face and eyes are full of brass.

That's a great point you raise.