• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stiller Predator SA & AICS

rc2125

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2007
Granger, Indiana
Does anyone here have/run a rifle that consists of a stiller predator action(sa) mounted in an AICS?

Wondering if that combo should in fact work and feed well, using an AICS & AI magazine (Mine will be .243win).

I'm in "you gotta be kidding me mode" at the moment. I got this new action, bolted it into the chasis (which worked perfect with a factory 700 action). The flutes on the bolt bind with the top of the magazine lips as it rotates & moves rearward from the lugs , preventing bolt closure. If I pull the mag slightly out so the bolt just clears the mag lips, it won't pick up a round.....

Re: Stiller Predator SA & AICS

Never seen that issue before. I have built several Stillers into AICS chassis using AICS mags and have had no issues.

Have you tried another mag?

Well, thats good to know. I only have the one mag, like new, worked flawless with the rem700 .243 I had in it for awhile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RC2125</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, thats good to know. I only have the one mag, like new, worked flawless with the rem700 .243 I had in it for awhile. </div></div>

With the mag in the rifle the bolt should just clear the feed lips of the mag. If the feed lips are hitting the bolt the action is sitting too low. The mag is too high or the feed lips are a little out of whack. It could also be the bolt is slightly larger then .700 but I would think not, but you never know. .700 is pretty standard for Stiller bolts.

All better. It was the magazine. Evidently the ejection port side magazine lip was bent inward toward the front of the mag. With the non fluted remington bolt it wasn't an issue,..... was probably rubbing, but nothing could catch to stop the rotating bolt. With the fluted bolt though, the flutes would bite that mag lip on it's edge.
When looking into the action with the bolt open, the lip on the other side was perpendicular to the action rail. Just had to bend the ejection port side mag lip to also be perpendicular to the rail, and it no longer stops the bolt from rotating, puts the top round slightly higher and feeds like a champ. Thanks HateCA for the refernce/info!

I put one in a AICS stock and it did exactly the same thing. I had to grind down the magazine feed lips just a little. All is fine now. It would bend the lip on the right side in when you close the bolt.