• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiller TAC 338 Ejection COAL & Barrel Diameter

45custom

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2020
Anyone with a Stiller TAC 338 Action who can comment on the maximum length of a live .338 Lapua cartridge (or any COAL that you've tried) that can be ejected when you run the bolt normally? 3.600", 3.681", 3.740", even longer, shorter, etc.

While we're on that topic, what would be the smallest optimal barrel diameter for that kind of action? 1.40" receiver diameter with 1.125" Tenon, 16 TPI threads. Not sure whether a 1.25" barrel works well here.

While we're on that topic, what would be the smallest optimal barrel diameter for that kind of action? 1.40" receiver diameter with 1.125" Tenon, 16 TPI threads. Not sure whether a 1.25" barrel works well here.
I have a couple of barrel blanks that I bought thinking that someday someone might make an action with a 1.125" tenon thread that I liked. One of those barrels has a 1.350" diameter and the other is 1.315".

BAT used to show, maybe still do, that a 1.250" barrel was acceptable with their 1.125" actions. I wouldn't use anything smaller than a 1.300" barrel but using a 1.250" barrel in a 1.125" action isn't much different than using a 1.200" barrel in a 1.062" action. People even use a 1.200" barrel on a trued action that is oversized from 1.062".

I won't use a 1.200" barrel on a 1.062" action either but there are thousands of them out there.

Reactions: 45custom
BAT used to show, maybe still do, that a 1.250" barrel was acceptable with their 1.125" actions.
I’d seen that as well. Made me wonder why I hadn’t seen more mention of that combination.

I had the same question as I am looking to get a Stiller TAC 338. I know the length of the action is longer so it would stand to reason that the ejection port was longer as well accommodating a full cartridge length ejection without issue. Kind of makes me wonder with MDT's 4.050" magazines they sell for cartridges like the 338 reloaded with bullets seated out closer to the lands.

Last edited:
When I bought my TAC-338 action Stiller recommended a 1.35 diameter barrel. I have not loaded longer than 3.850 because that’s what my mags are.

When I bought my TAC-338 action Stiller recommended a 1.35 diameter barrel. I have not loaded longer than 3.850 because that’s what my mags are.
Thanks. The 3.850" unfired cartridges can still be ejected successfully when you cycle the bolt?

Reactions: 168BTHPM