• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiller vs defiance for 338 Lapua

eodusa

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2008
I know stiller adds a bit of meat to their receivers for the 0.75 bolt. (0.050 larger diameter and 0.465 longer). Does defiance make their action larger for 338 lapua cartridges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got a 338 stiller action. It is a beast. Long and strong. I got it on a deal is why I chose stiller over anything else. Thing is smoking accurate. 338LM

Don't worry about either manufacture, they both are reputable and both will perform just fine and I don't think you will be able to tell the difference.

If they were the same price, I would flip a coin. Unless the Defiance has an integral rail. Ive always liked that feature.

Unless the defiance isn't as long as the stiller. I like the extra meat.

If the stiller is considerably cheaper, boom go for it. I honestly don't know what the prices are right now.

other advice is get the bottom metal, I think Seekins BM iirc, that allows you to load to a longer oal. Really helps for bullet selection and chasing lands...not that anyone actually shoots out a 338 barrel. lol.

Good luck,
DT

Forgot pic. Not very good but you get the idea. killing machine.

DT

Attachments

• photo66327.png
    photo66327.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 242
I know stiller adds a bit of meat to their receivers for the 0.75 bolt. (0.050 larger diameter and 0.465 longer). Does defiance make their action larger for 338 lapua cartridges?

Defiance has multiple action sizes and they also offer .750 bolts - see their site - http://defiancemachine.com/

What is not shown on the Defiance site is the Stryker Ridge model (sold only, as best I know, through Brownells) - $1099 with .750 bolt - http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-par...er-prod74995.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=DEFIANCE MACHINE In stock.

All the other Defiance models are substantially more.

Stiller is about $50-$60 more that the Stryker Ridge. Unclear where it is currently in stock.

Everyone seems to be wary of the 338 lapua in a Remington 700. They beefed up the bolt lugs but did they beef up the action?

I have only ever shot one .338 LM and it was a stiller action. The owner had it dialed in to shoot one hole groups and it worked flawlessly.

I love my defiance Deviant for 6.5 creedmoor though. The machining is higher quality on the defiance and the tolerances are tighter but that is sometimes a negative because any dirt or grime you get in the action will seize up a defiance.

I have only ever shot one .338 LM and it was a stiller action. The owner had it dialed in to shoot one hole groups and it worked flawlessly.

I love my defiance Deviant for 6.5 creedmoor though. The machining is higher quality on the defiance and the tolerances are tighter but that is sometimes a negative because any dirt or grime you get in the action will seize up a defiance.

Got it thanks. I'm going defiance this time. Integral lug is what sold me. I sheared off the pinned recoil lug on a 700. But are there any concerns with the power of the 338 in this size action? I have a TRG 42 and it is huge!

eodusa,

Defiance Machine runs plenty of actions with 0.750 diameter bolts. In addition multiple configurations of bolt nose/lugs are available. I use them regularly for Lapua and Norma based cartridges. These are 3 complete rifles on the Defiance action in .338LM delivered to a State Police agency and in service for a bit already.

I have other rifles on the same pattern in circulation being run hard. Various users are running RUAG, Black Hills and Hornady ammo for monthly quals with no issues at all. Buy and build on the Defiance with confidence. I am sure the Stiller product is a good one as well but I have zero personal experience with building on any of their big actions.

Just my opinion but you are going to have a fairly expensive rifle built by the time you are through. I would highly recommend you put features and design ahead of any slight cost difference in your action choice.

PS: Not sure WTF would have been up with your rifle setup but if you sheared ANY recoil lug on a 700 shooting ANY cartridge, something was not right in the parts or build.

Attachments

• photo66379.jpg
    photo66379.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 178
  • photo66381.jpg
    photo66381.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 180
  • photo66382.jpg
    photo66382.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Damn I wish I worked for a police force that got to used custom defiance actions!

...PS: Not sure WTF would have been up with your rifle setup but if you sheared ANY recoil lug on a 700 shooting ANY cartridge, something was not right in the parts or build.

The follow on question would be how did the action and your face survive recoil (and the required chamber pressure) thrust sufficient to shear a recoil lug? I'm not challenging the OP, I'm genuinely curious.

I have 400+ rounds through a Stiller TAC338 so far. It likes to be kept clean but runs fine in dusty environs. I'm a bit bummed by the close eye I have to keep on the action bolt torque (needs checking / re-torquing ~every hundred rounds) but I think flex in the chassis may be part of the problem.

I have a stiller tac 30 on a 300 wm and its worked just fine. a little rough when i first got it but smoothed out nicely with time. i bought it because it was cheaper and avail immediately compared to the defiance i originally looked at, at time of build.
No regrets.
Like Mr. Cross said this will prob be a big dollar build, i would really price it out. alot of guys build a 338 and really dont shoot them that much after a while. if your just hitting paper you can go other routes most of the time.
you might want to look at a factory rifle so if its not your cup of tea you can get a better dollar on a resale. me i a horder and cant make myself sell my rifles i dont shoot anymore (not regular AR type stuff, those are like tools use them and get new ones when they are tired). hate to sound like a fanboy but if i would have spent the money on a AI off the bat instead of several years down the road my safe would be alot less full with rifles i dont shoot anymore.