• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiller / XLR Evolution - 308 LA Shorty Build

Oddball Six

Commander of Meh
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
40°25′N, 104°43′W
attachment.php

Had to re-post the thread, as the original contained significant errors, since remedied. I wanted to build a short 308 build, for paper and elk, plus the occasional 'yote or prairie dog.

The reciever is a Stiller Lonestar special-run action. It is identical to the Tac300 but uses the older brazed bolt handle design from some of the earlier Stiller offerings. The long action uses a 308 bolt face. The trigger is an X-Mark Pro take-off which has been adjusted. Pretty crisp, if a little bit heavy until I replace the spring. Barrel choice here was a little bit interesting. I chose to use the AAC pre-threaded 18 inch 308 barrel with a 1:8 twist. The barrel comes nitrided which means instead of finish reaming myself, I set the headspace using the thickness of the recoil lug. This meant a precision ground lug from PTG. Given my bladed hand style bolt throw, I replaced the bolt knob from Stiller with a PTG Anderson knob, and added a stiller 20MOA rail (4x 8-40 screws + 2 recoil pins).

The chassis is a used XLR Evolution Tactical which I picked up on here, complete with ambidextrous cheek piece, ACE folding stock adapter, and a single picatinny rail for the forward tube. Folded OAL is 29". Fully extended, 39.5".

All of this, topped with a Vortex Viper PST FFP 4-16 x 50 sitting in Burris rings.

It is an interesting budget build, given how many of our members have been talking about building 2500 or so rifles, this one is a great example of using the PX community here to get some great components at lower prices. Chassis, Optic, Rings, Bipod, Trigger were all acquired through our community.

A few mentions for the handful of items bought new: received great support from AAC in considering the barrel. The tech guys there were willing to talk profile, dimensions, and performance of the 1:8 twist with the bullet types I use most. PTG's service was great correcting sending the wrong lug. One phone call and they had a custom manufactured "correct" part out the next day and a pre-paid return label in my inbox for the other lug. The guys at stiller are a class act. They actually send my rail along before my payment showed up at their door!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next step before it hits the range is some paint from ARP!

Last edited: