• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision StingIR Thread / Public Service Announcement Regarding Issues

French1966

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 7, 2020
Hello all, can’t recall a specific thread for these yet

The AGM StingIR has been of some interest to me since being released. I’ve been looking for a dedicated HMT instead of trying to use my Iray RH25 for every role.

The StingIR appears to be feature rich and at a competitive price, but per usual I try and research as much as I can before making a purchase.

The purpose of this post is to inform potential buyers of some issues with the devices that aren’t being widely talked about (to my knowledge), as well as general discussion of them. User feedback highly encouraged.

It is advertised as being a compact multi-use/general purpose thermal: Handheld, Stand-alone, HMT, and Clip-on

Issues:

In clip-on mode, users are reporting inability to collimate their StingIRs with their daytime optics. They have concluded that clip-on software in the menu is non-existent while emails from AGM indicate that there should be clip-on settings in the menu.

Here is an email with menu directions from AGM to one user (issues starting with #5):

Sting-IR
1. Zero daytime optic (on X)
2. Keep daytime optic steady on target (X) using a gun vise, tripod or bipod.
3. Install StingIR in front of daytime optic. Ensure you install carefully as to not move the rifle off point of aim (X).
4. Single press the center button to open the menu.
5. Go to Display> Clip-on> single press center button then up or down buttons to turn on.
6. Once in clip on mode you will see (x,y).
7. Single press center button to deselect on/off. Press down button to highlight x. Center button to select x. Then using the up/down buttons align your x axis.
8. Repeat steps for y axis.
9. Scroll down the Exit and press center button to turn off x,yselections.
10. Take StingIR off and ensure your daytime optics reticle was still on target (X) and repeat steps 6-9 again if minor adjustments are still needed

Upon calling AGM to confirm these issues, I found out that none of the stingIRs on first release have the collimation/screen margin software, nor would the zero settings in stand-alone mode save after turning the unit off and back on. This would be a major disappointment for anyone who bought one. They then told me that users can send in their units for a software update.

Curious to know what the status of new off-the-shelf units, I recently asked a large vendor for AGM products to pull a new stingIR from inventory and check to see if the unit had a new software update that fixed the issues, but he reported back to me that it lacked the clip-on settings under the “display” setting in the menu.

Therefore it’s my theory that large quantities of these “Gen1” StingIRs are in inventory with many various AGM vendors, and those who unknowingly purchase them will be disappointed to find that they technically do not work as advertised without an RMA/Warranty claim. Not only that, but it’s been reported that AGM requires customers to pay for shipping of the unit in for warranty.

Customer service answered my questions right away and offered to try and work with a vendor to sell me a newer updated one, and they were seemingly really professional. I didn’t have to wait for a long time to get ahold of a customer service rep.

That said, AGM really dropped the ball on this in my opinion. I don’t know if they are actively informing customers and vendors of this issue or just choosing to handle it one at a time as unhappy customers call in.

Conclusion:

If you wish to purchase one I highly recommend checking with your vendor to ensure that the StingIRs they are selling are the very latest model with the updated software for clip-on use, and also that the stand-alone zero settings save after a power cycle.

No one should have to buy a new product only to immediately need a RMA and ship on their dime for warranty. Especially when the manufacturer and/or vendor has the means to prevent it. Hence the reason for this long-winded post, I hope to save people some grief and educate them on the status of this product.

If I find that a vendor is knowingly selling these faulty units to get them out of inventory, I might rethink wether or not I want to do business with them. The vendors are a line of defense that should be protecting their customers and vetting the products before they are sold. AGM should be held accountable to fix these issues before they get into the hands of customers, and it is the vendors job to apply that pressure on AGM in a professional manner. Anything less is an agreement between AGM and their vendors to waste the time of their customers.

Perhaps AGM could offer a discount on these with a disclaimer that states “without an RMA they are only usable as HMT & Handheld”.

Last edited:
Great to know! I've been looking at getting one for all of the above roles and would be extremely disappointed if my new clip on was unable to slay beavers.

Reactions: French1966
Great to know! I've been looking at getting one for all of the above roles and would be extremely disappointed if my new clip on was unable to slay beavers.
I’m just waiting on one person to report back on their warranty process, but I’m sure their update remedies the issue. I’ve confirmed with a different vendor (who I know to use them extensively and has real technical knowledge of them) that they have updated models in hand working fine.

I’m just waiting on one person to report back on their warranty process, but I’m sure their update remedies the issue. I’ve confirmed with a different vendor (who I know to use them extensively and has real technical knowledge of them) that they have updated models in hand working fine.
According to a vendor I follow on IG that's super active with their StingIR's and supposedly reported the initial issues requiring a firmware update in the AGM's the updated models are great and they really like running it as an offset with their EOTech. I want a rock solid clip on more than anything though so I will wait for more people to review and the Armasight Jockey to release too.

I can’t for the life of me understand a company deciding to ship an expensive product without the full set of features that the manual and marketing have indicated it will have. What possible justification can there be for this?

I can’t for the life of me understand a company deciding to ship an expensive product without the full set of features that the manual and marketing have indicated it will have. What possible justification can there be for this?
It’s not really excusable, but as far as reasoning I’m starting to think they saw the armasight offerings as well as the new Iray YM (https://coldharboursupply.com/en-us/products/jerry-ym-thermal-monocular), and decided to push the product out to be first to market

According to a vendor I follow on IG that's super active with their StingIR's and supposedly reported the initial issues requiring a firmware update in the AGM's the updated models are great and they really like running it as an offset with their EOTech. I want a rock solid clip on more than anything though so I will wait for more people to review and the Armasight Jockey to release too.

Here’s a pretty big album with my 384 model. Goblin Tactical has all updated models, so that’s who I got mine from. I had no intentions of running it as a clip-on because I have my RH25 for that, but I went ahead and posted a bunch of photos as a clip-on for people who had asked about it.

Here’s a pretty big album with my 384 model. Goblin Tactical has all updated models, so that’s who I got mine from. I had no intentions of running it as a clip-on because I have my RH25 for that, but I went ahead and posted a bunch of photos as a clip-on for people who had asked about it.

Wish I would’ve seen this before I bought mine from sportsman guide today. Hopefully they are shipping the updated ones. Where did you get that wrap for the StingIR?

Wish I would’ve seen this before I bought mine from sportsman guide today. Hopefully they are shipping the updated ones. Where did you get that wrap for the StingIR?
The wrapped unit is a RH25. I’m not aware of any wraps for the StingIR