• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stippling

VoxPatriam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Some crappy desert
So I got bored and for a weekend project I decided I'd stipple my PMags and rail covers. It really isn't that difficult and the results are outstanding (especially given that this was my first attempt at it). I'll try my hand at stippling metal tomorrow. Odds are that's going to be a bit more involved. Anyhow, on to the photo.

IMG_20140517_174152_971_zpsy03canof.jpg

Anyone else do this? Show off your work!

Last edited:
No pics handy, but I used three Brownells stippling punches to do the front strap on a 1911 and it turned out pretty well. Very good grip, even after I burnished it with the side of a drift. By using several different punch styles and random placement you can create a very nice effect.

I really like the stippling on those KAC rail panels, I use a lot of those. How'd you do it, with those punches? Or with a soldering iron?

Reason I ask is I always wondered if a soldering iron would be good for this. I used to use one as a kid when I assembled plastic models to get sort of similar effects, but of course that plastic is much weaker. Anyone try a soldering iron on a Glock frame or a KAC panel?

Yep. A soldering iron is really easy to use. So as the wood burning kits. For metal you use a bunch of different sharpened punches. Just practice on some scrap plastic/polymer/kydex and you'll be good to go.

Nice work! I did the same stippling job on a few PMAGs awhile ago. I'd post pictures but they literally look exactly (right down to being FDE) like yours.

I also did this on a couple PMags...two to be exact. I will post pics when I get home but...what I found (and friends of mine by doing a eyes closed experiment) was there is ADDED grip if you stiple JUST the ridges of the PMags and not the valleys. When the PMags "valleys" are stipled, its still a semi-smooth surface all the way down. When just the ridges are done, its like sand paper. Ill post pics tonight.

Great job though!

1394244757_zps06c9ba2a.jpg

Here are a couple glocks a buddy did for me. I also did the rip area on a mossberg 500 stock but it didn't turn out as good as I hoped. Think it was more because of the difference in the polymers.

Thanks guys! It's definitely a good way to kill a couple hours! Those glocks look great. You try cutting a finger relief, and a relief for the mag release yet? Fairly easy to do and you can stipple right back over it. A lot of guys notch the front of the mag well too for jammed mags.

uploadfromtaptalk1403667968711.jpg

On a blind feel test, everyone I asked said the one on the left felt better and more secured than the right. To each thier own, just food for thought.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I actually just got a new set of gen 3 PMags.. I'll be stippling those soon and I may very well take your advice. Haven't really decided on stippling the floor plates yet though. I had a couple GI mags lying around and tried stippling those. What a mistake. The flimsy mag body just dented in when I hit the punch (not hard either). Reason number 4 billion that those mags are worthless.

On a blind feel test, everyone I asked said the one on the left felt better and more secured than the right.
So what do your public restroom encounters have to do with anything? :p
Kidding, stippling the high portions might be worth a try, thanks for the picture.

Try making a stippling bit with a brass screw and a checkering file.

Little Glock stippling i did with a soldering iron
orca-image-1512303255685.jpg_1512303256442.jpeg

Word of advice... when stippling pmags, dont go toooo deep. I did one with some, excessive, aggressive holes. Haha went too hard and basically made ridges on the inside that bind the spring and follower. Had to file them down to get that bastard fde pmag to work.

Heat gun and a wood burning kit. Was my first complete and I love it. Definitely wore down after about 1000 rounds. Used to be a little scratchy carrying IWB

20170112_103446.jpg

Here is a G21 I did a grip reduction and stippled with a soldering iron. Also changed the beavertail a bit and undercut the trigger guard.
Made the mag cut because this becomes a .460 Rowland for bear country with my little one, so probability for debris is high. Did it on a recommendation from a gentleman who has been doing this for a long time professionally.

347D3896-7C19-4E05-BCF7-6A2E5445D0EC.jpeg
9ABED95E-388A-426C-AFF4-74417CD9B263.jpeg

Here is a P320 carry I did the other day. I think it’s the 3rd frame I’ve tried and I still can’t figure out how to do a really clean recessed border like the guys on IG
909C9DC0-53B2-45BC-8763-78BFC7AAB038.jpeg