• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock 10/22

dubetsky13

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2011
New york
Making a stock 10/22 into a 300 yard shooter can it be done? Has it be done? If so can u guys tell me how

Re: Stock 10/22

definitely! I just bought a 18inch bull barrel off another hide member so I am kinda cheating. but also you would need to get your trigger done. most are set at factory which is like 5.2 lbs- I have mine at 1.9 lbs and the rifle shoots a lot better.. now I am adding a barrel and the stock to fit. the rifle already has a Zeiss on it so now its just a matter of shooting it.... where in NY are you? I'm in buffalo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dubetsky13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Making a stock 10/22 into a 300 yard shooter can it be done? Has it be done? If so can u guys tell me how </div></div>
In can be done, but it wouldn't quite be "Stock" when you were done.

Here is how I would recomend you approach it:
- Have the crown on the stock barrel re-cut.
- Look into how to do the DIY rework of the trigger group.
- Free Float the barrel and eliminate any contact with the barrel band.
- Compensate for barrel droop and the exreeme drop by getting a scope base from EGW that has 20-30 MOA built it.
- Have you bolt face trued or buy one that has been done.

Good Luck and have Fun!
Careful, 10/22s are highly addictive!!!

thanks everyone looks like im going to have to get this done and manzgear im in beacon about a hour and a half from albany

You can get a 10/22 to shoot well. I have mine all tricked out with Kidd parts, but you really don't need to go that route. I got into rimfire very recently, but I'm the obsessive sort and gather as much information as I can. I'm also not shy about picking up the phone and calling people to pick their brains.

This is what I've found. First, free floating is NOT the way to go, if you don't have some way to anchor the rear of the receiver. Simply bedding the receiver tight in the rear does not remove all movement. I bedded the rear 1" of receiver, the lug and the barrel up to the balance point on the barrel. With my rig, this meant that I bedded the first 4" of barrel into the stock. Since you are going to use a stock profile barrel, you may be able to get away with free floating. What you might want to do is try bedding the receiver and lug and then see how it shoots. If it does what you want it to, leave it alone.

Next, you'll want to doctor the barrel up some. Have the muzzle cut and recrowned, then have the chamber end setback and the chamber recut to a match chamber. Once you have that done, you'll want to headspace the bolt. I believe the proper depth is .042".

Last, do what you can with the trigger. I've seen some home brew jobs that shot amazingly well and others that turned out to be a waste of time and money; but hey, doing it and trying is half the fun.

Now that I have my 10/22 shooting the way I want it to, there nothing left to do but shoot it, so I'm starting to lose interest.