• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock alignment? Savage FCP HS

RidgeRebel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Hurricane, UT
I recently purchased a Savage 10 FCP that has the HS Precision stock. I was disappointed to find that the barreled action is not centered n the stock, the barrel has a considerably bigger gap on one side. Is there anyhting that can be done to fix the issue other than replace the stock? I know it will not affect the rifle other than it is ugly but I would like fix it if I can. Any thoughts?

Re: Stock alignment? Savage FCP HS

it's a POS... send me that crap HS and buy a Manners...

seriously, it's common w/ HS stocks... if it shoots the way you want, sand the close side to even it out, if it's shooting up closer to MOA, try bedding it and center the barrel up in the channel while you do.

Re: Stock alignment? Savage FCP HS

I had this problem with my HS before I bedded it. Actually I had the problem in the barrel channel as well as in the bedding area. The back of my action sat about 1/8" deeper in the stock than the front of the action. This 1/8" was enough to bind up my action (rear tang riding hard) and throw off accuracy considerably. So it wasn't straight in the xy or yz plane. But like the post above says, if you bed the stock that will take care of all alignment problems if the bedding is done right.