• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stock Alternatives for Sako m995 (TRG-S)

TDaly25

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2010
New Providence, New Jersey
Hi gang, new member here. I have an M995 in 338LM and am looking for a tactical style stock rather than the standard sporter stock currently on the rifle. Does anyone know definitively whether McMillan, HS Precision, or any other quality stockmaker manufactures a turnkey stock for this rifle? Thanks in advance for your response. Tom

Re: Stock Alternatives for Sako m995 (TRG-S)

Both McMillan and Manners have replacement stocks for the TRG-S. However they both also require the purchase of a Williams bottom metal package, available through Williams or McMillan (TRG-1)

I have an A5 for my TRG-S.

PM <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">steelcomp</span></span> here on SH for information on the Manners. I know he's building up his TRG-S with a T4 stock.

Picture014-1.jpg

Picture004-9.jpg

Glock24, megathanks for the info, I will reach out to Steelcomp and will also be looking into the McMillan solution. Thanks again. Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom D.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock24, megathanks for the info, I will reach out to Steelcomp and will also be looking into the McMillan solution. Thanks again. Tom </div></div>Reach no further my friend. I just got a call from Tom yesterday, and it looks like my stock will be on it's way early next week. I'll echo what Glock said...it's basically either Manners or McM for your Sako. You can PM me with any questions about the Manners and I'll be glad to answer, but not having it in hand yet, not sure how much I can tell you.
GL on your build.

Steelcomp, Thanks so much for your message. After reading up on gun builds (yours and Glock's m995 projects especially)I have come full circle!

Initially I intended to do a build off of my m995 action in 338LM, hence my initial post. Today I took a few hundred mile drive and was fortunate enough to spend a couple of hours with Alex Roy at Euro Optics. After picking up a few optics goodies I decided that picking up a new TRG-42 (which Alex stocks) and selling my TRG-S to defray the cost of the new rifle would probably make good sense over the long run.

After coming home and doing some research I've now decided to do the only reasonable thing - buy the TRG-42 AND do the build lol. This will be my first rifle build ever and I'd certainly appreciate learning from those that have gone down this same road. You have made my search for a stock quite easy, can you tell me how much lead time was involved? From a barreling perspective, where did you even begin? I look forward to hearing from you at your leisure. Tom

Yes, buying <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> building is clearly the right decision. I'm glad you came to your senses!

The lead time on the stocks is several months. Expect the wait from McMillan to be whatever they are quoting these days. I think it is 6-9 months. I know steelcomp went with Manners instead, which is normally a shorter lead-time, but he learned the hard way that the TRG-S inlet is sort of a special animal for Manners, so it takes a bit longer than their normal quotes.

Getting a barrel is easy, simply pick your favorite. The trick is finding a gunsmith who will install a metric-threaded barrel. I used Bartlein for my installation.

Lastly, consider upgrading to a different recoil lug system. The system on the TRG-S leaves a bit to be desired. I went with a Remington style recoil lug. I believe steelcomp's gunsmith has a different idea.

Steelcomp, I really like the look of the Manners stocks and am inclined to move forward with one of them. Were you guided specifically towards the T4A or could you have chosen any of the models? I plan to call Manners tomorrow to place my order

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom D.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steelcomp, I really like the look of the Manners stocks and am inclined to move forward with one of them. Were you guided specifically towards the T4A or could you have chosen any of the models? I plan to call Manners tomorrow to place my order </div></div>The incentive for my build, as I mentioned before, was Glock's beauty, which is on the MaMillan. I wanted that style of stock from the beginning, so I really don't know if Manners will do the inlet on anything but the T4, as I never asked. Maybe the T2, but I don't know. The lead time and expense on the McM was also a bit more, so that helped in the decision. Initially I wasn't sold on the looks of the Manners, but there were some features that it had over the McM that helped me decide. I've since grown to appreciate the Manners' appearance and lines. Tom (Manners) is a good guy to talk to, and very helpful, but also very busy. This won't happen over night.
wink.gif

I think you made a good decision. Might even be an interesting comparison between the TRG42 and the custom TRG-S. I'm already considering a 338LM myself. (I don't believe I actually said that
sick.gif
)

Glock 24's beauty is one heck of piece of inspiration, fer sure. I look forward to being able to compare M995's with the two of you. Dying to see your pics when you get the stock in and do your assembly.

Well I spoke to Tom M. the other day and placed my stock order, I went with the T-5A. He also made a couple of calls and was able to secure a set of bottom metal for me so I don't have to look around for that on my own. Next up: selecting a barrel. My decision is down to either a Bartlein or a Rock Creek. Any thoughts?

Are you still around? You have a M995 action with a 338 LM bolt face? Or are you opening the face from the 375 H&H to accommodate the larger case?
I am looking for either the bolt face for the M995 bolt to open up or a complete bolt. I have the M995 in 375 H&H and also a 338LM so I want to switch barrels from Hunting DG to shooting LR
Thanks

Bartlein has newer equipment, advertising tighter control and better capabilities. Transitional rifling and fourth decimal place twist accuracy are two examples. The benchrest crowd seems to agree

The T-5A will look great. And you might very well have the only one made for an M995!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quagaarx6x</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you still around? You have a M995 action with a 338 LM bolt face? Or are you opening the face from the 375 H&H to accommodate the larger case?
I am looking for either the bolt face for the M995 bolt to open up or a complete bolt. I have the M995 in 375 H&H and also a 338LM so I want to switch barrels from Hunting DG to shooting LR
Thanks </div></div>

I have the M995 in 338 Bolt face. Are you planning to retain the sporter stock or switch to a LR/tactical style?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bartlein has newer equipment, advertising tighter control and better capabilities. Transitional rifling and fourth decimal place twist accuracy are two examples. The benchrest crowd seems to agree

The T-5A will look great. And you might very well have the only one made for an M995!

</div></div>

Thanks G24, I am going to go with the Bartlein and may order tomorrow. I think I'm going to go with a 28" barrel and naturally add a brake. Any thoughts on optimal Brake? Thanks buddy

if you are going the whole hog on this rifle why not get a Fat Bastard break they look awspme and realy perform. if you can get the barreled action sourted then send it to manners and get it painted when your stock gets painted and you can choose any pattern it will be amasing. as for fitting the barrels we fit both metric and imperial threaded barrels here even the older square threads you need to find someone with a lathe with the conversian gears, Does Bartlain fit barrels? if they can and will cut the metric threads you would be wise to have them do the work on the barrel fitting it then get the whole barreled action shipped to manners for bedding and painting.

I know two things about muzzle brakes; 1) Jack, and 2) shit.

Buy the one that looks the coolest!
grin.gif