• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock bedding compound choices?

SScott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
OK guys, I want to hear your proven bedding compound choices.
I have a Remington 700 with Bell and Carlson tactical, and a Savage with a Mcmillan stock that I want to bed.
At the Sporting goods store they had Acra glass and some other kit. but I have also seen Devcon mentioned here.
Could a guy just use JB weld, or any other industrial epoxy steel?
Thanks in advance,
SScott

Re: Stock bedding compound choices?

My hands-down favorite is Devcon Plastic Steel Putty (Devcon #10110) and it is all that I use now. Marine Tex Grey and Pro-Bed 2000 are good too. I'm not a big fan of AcraGlass even though it will work okay for most applications. While some people use JB Weld and other common epoxies, I just don't trust them for my rifles. My experience using most of those other hardware store epoxies for other kinds of applications is that they are very brittle when compared to the compounds typically used for bedding rifles.

I've used most of whats out there, and I've gone to just using Pro Bed 2000, but then again I wouldn't throw out the Devcon or Marine tex either.

Brownells steel bed user here. I skim bedded my B&C stock with it, and it stuck like white on rice! no cracks, no chipping.

Used most of them. For ease of use I like steel bed and marine tex.

I have used accuglass gel for several years,but have found
if you clean the gun a lot that it will get soft.
am planning to change to marine tec.
I would be interested to hear what the marines use
just a thought

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Devcon for me. </div></div>

+1...

Devcon is my first choice, you can probably find it at some of the industrial supply places that you pass in the welding supply race.
IBA likes to skim-coat the devcon with marine-tex because it's supposed to have less shrinkage and is rock hard or use it for the whole bedding. You can find marine tex at GI Joes (or now just Joes, a NW sports/automotive store). It's in the boat supplies with fiberglass.
You can get epoxy at TAP Plastics that beds great, especially if you fill it with their fiberglass flock.
Acraglass is the same epoxy. Acraglass gel never really sets up hard but is OK for unreinforced wood stocks. Brownells steel bed is devcon's equivalent.
Go with the devcon. DC

I've used the brownells steel bed several times. no complaints

Anyone ever used PC 7 paste?
This stuff:
http://www.pcepoxy.com/pastepoxy.asp

I am using it right now on a stock build to see. It sticks well and does not flow at all like JB weld, might work pretty decent as a bedding compound if it doesn't shrink. I have searched all of the Devcon retailers listed on the net in my area and they are out.

From what I understand, Devcon actually makes Steel Bed for Brownells.
That said, Steel Bed, Devcon, or Marine Tex; it's tough to go wrong with one of those as your bedding compound of choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like Devcon or Marinetex. If you need to dye it to match a stock, go with Marinetex White.

-matt</div></div>

Marine Tex white is made for the repair of fiberglass boat hulls and lacks the metallic strengthening agents found in their gray version. The white compound is not as strong as the gray and does not machine as well.

Alright,
I did it, I am in the process of bedding the front piller and recoil lug of my Mcmillan stock with JB weld. I took my gun out of the stock and could see the front piller was rubbing on the action, which means that it is moving during during the shot. I wish the front piller was rounded to the shape of the gun but it is not, it is just a straight tube. The rear bolt and seat area look real good, so I left them alone.
I took a Dremel and cut down the front section around the piller about an 1/8" inch as well as the rear section of the slot for the recoil lug.
Wish me luck.
SScott

Savagebed.jpg

Mcmillanbed.jpg

Here are the pictures of my front lug and piller bedding job using JB weld and Miguires car wax as release agent, I also used grease to keep the front screw from getting stuck. The Stamped numbers from the action transfered real well.
I loaded some more bullets tonight in preperation for this weekend.
SScott

I've always bedded my rifles with Brownells Acgraglass .--- Until NOW!-- Just finished bedding my new 700P .338LM with DEVCON 10110,-- I'll never go back to the other "stuff" !!! Devcon is easy to work with , strong, not known to shrink or breakdown from solvents,obtainable from my local tool supply store,best of all it's a color that almost matches the HS Precision stock !

marine tex all the way........ Flows in great and sets up slow. It is kinda messy if you don't pay attention though. The end result is always flawless. It also makes reapirs on fiberglass stocks a no-brainer. Great stuff. 1911shtr

Marinetex seems like a better material match to McMillan stocks. This experience comes when machining Marintex bedding in these stocks while cleaning up. Feedspeeds are equal and chip removal are similar.

I still prefer 10110 Devcon. Steel bed is my next fav but has its quirks when you want it to flow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the Devcon 10110 as well.

Here is where i bought mine http://www.markingpendepot.com $30.82 delivered </div></div>

I know...I'm raising the dead here. But I just bought the Devcon at the above link for $32.73 with free shipping....to Hawaii. So if anyone else is looking, there you go.

FWIW...I investigated Devcon 10110 years ago with the idea of using a stain to better match a stock. They informed me then, that they had NOT found a dye on the market that did NOT degrade the epoxy, and therefore they recommended against trying to stain it. Just paint the exposed edges. They also try for minimal shrinkage...of less that 1%...which I don't know is done by other manufacturers. JMHO

I use Devcon Titanium Putty. It costs twice as much as the steel putty, but is 50% stronger than the steel putty. If I remember correctly, the steel putty is rated at 12,000 psi and the titanium putty is rated at 18,000 psi. Also, IIRC, regular retail epoxies are usually around 2,500 psi.

Somewhere I've said that Marine Tex is the only thing I've used for years....best stuff ever.

Well, I ordered a pound of Devcon Steel a couple weeks ago and I'm here to say to hell with Marine Tex as a bedding compound.

Things I noticed right off with the first try:

1) It has the same creamy attributes as Marine Tex but is a touch stiffer, a plus.

2) It released much easier than anything I've used to date with a couple thin coats of Johnson paste wax and a couple coats of One Shot.

3) The bedding job came out absolutely flawless, no bubbles or voids.

4) That stuff is DAMN HARD........

All in all I've switched, and will likely try the aluminum or Ti at some point.

One concern though with the Devcon Steel; I sanded some masking tape texture out of the free float in the barrel channel and you can definately see the shine of "steel" in there. I'll paint the free float area when I paint the stock but the action area will remain bare, Has anyone found any rusting of the steel in the compound over time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru &#8853;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes i have used it all. There are many other choices as well. Wasnt their just a thread last week on this? </div></div>

yes there was, there always is

this is all you need

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1649065#Post1649065

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru &#8853;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JB weld is the same thing as devcon isnt it? What are the differences in strength of them? </div></div>

devcon has better (higher) strength in all catagories over JBWeld. i just needed enough for a skim bed in an HS stock. i couldnt find grey marine tex. plus i dont like that mix ratio, but i could always weigh it. so i looked into PC7. i have seen it used in texturing. its nice, but the batch i got at the ACE was dry. really like a mudball or those no bake cookies. they have names for epoxy when i called looking for fillers to make the JB stiffer. i added talc and never could get it to peak. they refered to them like foods, ie peanut butter and ketchup. devcon is PB and jb is ketchup not quite syrup. it you let the JB setup for an hour its decent. if you want to texture, forget it. never could get a pointy sharp peak. and it finishes glossy. i had to let the ooze really cure and added to the top line as it settled. if i had a bunch, id but the devcon putty. even if i have one to do, id buy it and sell the rest so someone else could do the same til the pound is gone. i used the small tubes of JB like $5 at the auto parts, bedded the base too and still have some left, like a 1/4 in each. pillar bedding would use more id think. anyway

For what its worth for those going the marine tex way, although its availible at most boat supply places - like West Marine here in California . It nearly twice as expensive then ordering it from Brownells.

The most popular:
Devcon Plastic Steel (putty or liquid) putty works best, less messy than liquid.
Marine-Tex gray - USMC approved

Others:
Devcon These are much more pricey and harder to find.
-aluminum
-stainless steel
-titanium
Acra-glass I hear is gets soft after enough chem exposure, and tends to be brittle otherwise
ProBed 2000 No experience, I hear good things
JB Weld Works OK, not the best, messy, gets air pockets easily, but its really easy to get.

Marine-Tex (grey-not white) is available at most Ace harwares and will work fine.

That being said Devcon 10110 is pretty much all I will use, for the reasons mentioned already above.

I have used most of them:
AcraGlass - Ok, runny, it has it's applications
AcraGlass Gel - Mine never got hard, stayed kind of rubbery
SteelBed - Worked great, the price went through the roof
JB Weld - Ok, for doing one or two guns, its ok
Pro Bed 2000 - Good - comes in brown and black
Marine Tex - Ok, I had a harder tome getting it to release cleanly
Devcon Steel - So far, it's been working great for the $ it's hard to beat
Devcon Titanium - shorter work time than steel but end result is very good - super strong

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the Devcon 10110 as well.

Here is where i bought mine http://www.markingpendepot.com $30.82 delivered </div></div>

thanks your a life saver

I just tried something different. We use it a work to glue roofs on cars. 3m 8115. Released easy applied easy. It mixes in a tip so no guess work and you can put it where you need it. It's a trial. It on a Remington 700 338 in a manners stock. But I have always like marine tex. Just was out at the time. But I think the 8115 will be just fine.

there was a article on 6mmbr a few years on this hot topic and it was explained that most of them have good results but what set devcon above the rest was it is impervious to most cleaning solvents don't know about you but i dont want to take my action out of the stock every time i clean it especially during barrel break in after reading that i threw my acraglass in the garbage and have used devcon steel putty ever since

devcon 10110 or 10760 ++++
tryed others marine tex - accura glas- jb weld - never again

The only Devcon that exceeds Marine Tex in strength is the Titanium. The hardest thing about Marine Tex is getting the ratio correct. The ratio is 5-1 by volume. By weight it is 6.3-1. I found that by weight I can get it exact and mixed properly it is a pleasure to work with. It's really smooth. I pack it into syringes and fill the cavities from the botton up. No more voids.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lsm62</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used the Devcon 10110 as well.

thanks your a life saver </div></div>

Your welcome

The price went up a bit just checked it is $37.03 now. Three years later
laugh.gif

I have used Marine Tex and Devcon Steel. Both are great. Someone had mentioned MT being stronger than Devcon Steel and from what I remember I think they are right. Both are very close. After 3 years each are holding up equally well. Either way your good to go.

Just make sure you weigh them out accurately.

Another Devcon user! Its just too easy to use. The last two numbers are the size 1#,5#,ect. Pete