• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing stock building

goober

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Auckland , New Zealand
My friend and I are going to build a couple of stocks and have begun making a mold of a hybrid A5 type stock .
The one we are molding off has some high density foam in the butt stock that I can clearly see in the blank .
does anyone know how much high density foam is in these Mcmillan a5 stocks ? Also I can do one out of glass fibre but havent worked with expoxy for years and need an update on HOW.
How to cut the fibre , lay up with matt or chop strand , inclide clegisele or just straight resin ?? Do tell if you can help .cheers

Re: stock building

If your going to work with glass times have changed.The standard layup has been replaced with vacuum bagging go on you-tube or search the web for details the system can be duplicated as long as you are good at improvising.The lasts stocks I saw were filled with foam putting in a piece of Aluminum channel in the fore arm or installing bedding blocks will improve your build.Good luck