• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock Carving

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    I have a beautiful Claro walnut blank and a chambered Bartlein barrel on a BAT action however my stock carver is having some health issues and is unable to do the stock work.

Anybody know of a good stock guy who would undertake carving this walnut blank into a Monte Carlo stock with some hand checkering and cast off?

Looks like Ike he does. Hopefully he chimes in here

zebgunmaking.com
    This young lady is an up and coming fine stock maker. She might be interested in the job. I don't know her but she apprenticed under Chuck Grace of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild.

Reactions: Jigstick
    I have a couple calls in to some people. Got a few off the custom gun makers guild. God this is a lost art. A lot of the old timers have passed away. Hope I can find someone. This rifle is for my son

Reactions: kthomas
    Did you consider using a pattern stock/having it duplicated rather than carving one from "scratch"?
    I didn't think anyone actually "carved" a stock from a raw blank, other than a hobbyist with all the time in the world.

Duplicator is to this work as painting the exterior of your house with a 4" brush instead of a high-pressure airless...

It’s an art. The guys that hand carve a blank into a stock are extremely talented. Here’s the first one I had hand carved.

933B123A-2522-4F02-AB77-89009DEA0790.jpeg

68E340E0-CC12-4703-B0AA-B3DD8F05923D.jpeg

6710399C-B288-41AC-AFC2-EF9F4800A129.jpeg

2C93DA25-03FF-44A5-99F2-4C3FBC37C962.jpeg

728A30D5-3211-45E8-86F7-E4BC49C8638A.jpeg

4ED9718B-A0F3-43A0-AC96-5BBD1C1C61D2.jpeg

I tell you what. I have a multitude of manners and McMillan stocks. Tactical to hunting. None of them come close to how comfortable that wood stock is. Having the stock custom made to my LOP, cast off, toe out, etc is just incredible. The gun basically shoulders and points itself.