• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock/Chassis for The Poors?

ScottPriestley

Civilian Contractor
Minuteman
  • Im putting together a new bolt rifle for plinking and fundamentals practice - .223 cal. Would love some feedback on stocks or chassis in the $300-600 range. I'd prefer not to have to bed a stock. I like the idea of the MDT Oryx full length chassis. Also like the new Greyboe Phoenix. Looking for any feedback on YOUR experience with ANY stocks or chassis in this price range.

Bravo if you like the chassis. McMillan Mc3 deluxe Dbm is worth looking at.

Ive actually got an MC3 that Im not crazy about. They cheaped out big time on the bottom "metal". I had a Greyboe Renegade and their polymer bottom metal didnt feel cheap at all. The only thing about the Renegade is I really felt like it needed to be bedded.

I also have a Bravo and like it somewhat but there's so many moving parts, screws, etc and the fit/finish between the back and the forearm is irritating. I could probably live with it but looking for options.

Bravo if you like a traditional stock feel, Oryx if you want a chassis. Both are fantastic choices for the money!

Reactions: ScottPriestley
    I've got a Tikka T1x and a Savage SA in the Oryx. It's kinda heavy but it's really solid and the ergos really work for me. If you like the chassis style then it's a really good budget option. I added a Jamer benchrest bag rider to both of mine to make it easier to use a rear bag.

Ive actually got an MC3 that Im not crazy about. They cheaped out big time on the bottom "metal". I had a Greyboe Renegade and their polymer bottom metal didnt feel cheap at all. The only thing about the Renegade is I really felt like it needed to be bedded.

I also have a Bravo and like it somewhat but there's so many moving parts, screws, etc and the fit/finish between the back and the forearm is irritating. I could probably live with it but looking for options.

Grayboe doesn't make a polymer bottom metal. They're aluminum.

Complete agree about the plastic bottom “metal”. They would have received a nasty email if I didn’t win a cert for it. The stock really is isn’t that bad and I got a gray bottom metal for it.

the MDT XRS or KRG Bravo are the best for the money.

Does the Strike Nuke move away from having all the little parts like the Bravo? I'm in the same position as the OP, and the Cadex stocks have caught my eye. The Strike Nuke looks great but maybe a bit heavy for a pack around hunting rifle. Anyone had much time using a Tundra Strike?

I appreciate all the feedback. I looked into the MDT XRS and see that it is similar to the KRG Bravo meaning it is multiple pieces screwed together and has captured action screws that you can't get to with a standard torque wrench.

I like the XLR Element but dont like spending another $300 for a buttstock. Seems like this one competes with MDT LSS XL.

Black Friday is near and so are the deals. XLR usually will have about $150 of the Element but MDT and KRG runs deals too if their website hold up.

I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned the Oryx - it's appealing in that it's a solid, monolithic design from buttstock to forend - all one piece. That seems like it would be very stable.

Oryx is a great option if you have rifle outside the R700/Standard Savage/Tikka since it covers more platforms.

Black Friday is near and so are the deals. XLR usually will have about $150 of the Element but MDT and KRG runs deals too if their website hold up.

Good point - I have a McmIllan MC3 and a KRG Bravo for sale on another site but if I sell them I'll have some more $$ to play with. I'd sell them on the PX but after years of lurking I've only got about 70 posts toward my 100!