• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock comparison

bigpingel88

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2020
Tulsa oklahoma
How would you guys go about testing the differences in accuracy for different stocks? How do you make it as much as possible a apples to apples test? Obviously follow the instructions, torque sequences and specs, use the same ammos, same rests and weather etc without much wind. Thinking also maybe use a laser thermometer on the barrel to track temp. Would you guys pre heat the gun in a sense and shoot it a bit before testing various ammos on each stock? Just curious how much difference i could see between the 2 stocks if any at all. Any ideas to help validate my "test" would be appreciated. Krg bravo and magpul hunter with a 700 varmint in 308win. Ill make a quick post about my findings after i do some shooting with them both
20200804_183739.jpg

honestly i wouldnt worry too much about barrel temp....and i certainly wouldnt "pre heat"

i would fire a string of 5-10 shots....let the gun cool.....swap stocks and repeat.

change out ammo, then repeat that process.

frankly, you are talking about 2 stocks with steel bedding blocks, i would be surprised if you had any significant change in accuracy between them....from a construction standpoint....those 2 stocks are damn near identical.

Reactions: bigpingel88
Start with a clean barrel. Make sure everything is tight and torqued to specs. Fire as many fouling shots as you are comfortable with and let the barrel cool. Fire 5 five shot groups with the same amount of time in between shots and also the groups. Take an average of the groups.

Clean barrel. Remove and install into the other stock and verify torque specs. Repeat from above and take the average.

Try and do this at the range under the same environmental conditions.

Reactions: bigpingel88
Most any difference you see will be due to shooter comfort and ergonomics.

Just shoot them. One will be a clear winner, be it on paper or comfort.

You may see some more flex in the magpul forend if you load bipod too much. That can also have an effect.

Last edited: