• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock contour..HELP

Foweis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2009
New mexico, USA
Need help, I'm currently working on a build time has come to purchase a stock, I found two that I'm real interested in and the price is right, now my question is when it says Varmint contour, what's the heaviest or fatest barrel I could put in there with out milling?, would a MTU contour fit? If not What's close to a MTU that would drop in perfectly?
Thank you for all previous help.

Re: Stock contour..HELP

To get an MTU in there you will have to spend some time with some sand paper. What stock is it you are looking at? Some makers are tighter on the barrel channel than others. My MTU dropped right into my HS Precision PST, but it has a fairly large barrel channel.

McMillan a5, or McMillan HTG, either one. Haven't decided but both are varmint contour.

Go for the Mcmillan HTG. It seems to me that the HTG is better fitting for me and it does not have the palm swell like some HS stocks have. I hate the palm swell.

I have a remington 5R and i sold the HS stock it came with and bought a Mcmillan HTG with molded in camo and had its recoil pad and so forth. The HTG was in teh varmint contour. So far from what i can tell the stock is excellent quality and waiting for my barelled aaction back as we speak.

Varmint barrels generally have a muzzle OD of around .830. So NO a MTU contour will not fit in your stock.

If the stock says varmint contour barrel then that is the heaviest you can go and still have the barrel free floated.

Heath

Well I Want a MTU counter barrel, do does anyone no where I could get a McMillan HTG in gap camo with a MTU Contour, that's ready to ship by monday lol.

Nope

However you can order one from mcmillan OR modify your own barrel channel to allow the usage of MTU barrel.

So what kind of contour should I look for , when looking for stocks, if I wanted heavy barrel, or MTU contours? Some say m24 5r some say sporter, etc.

Hello,
The McMillan HTG stock is outstanding stock. But I must caution you. Most folks find the comb height too low, especially if you use canted bases, tactical heavy duty rings and tactical scopes. Order it with the integrated adjustable comb. It costs more but in the long run you will be much better off and you'll really appreciate the proper scope/eye placement.

It sounds like you re stuck on the MTU, have you ordered the barrel yet? If not the Varmint conture is a nice choice. The MTU is freaking HEAVEY!

To reconture the barrel channel is not that difficult! By the stock you want with the largest barrel channel you can get and then start sanding! I use my deep sockets because they change diameter with 80 grit sand paper and remover material tell it fits. Always use something round it helps keep the show line straight.

Second choice is find a buddy will a milling machine and have him inlett it for you.

Or order one and wait!

And to see the difference between the two go to a barrel manufacture website and study the contoure charts. They will list a MTU and a varmint/sendero contour

Ok so whats the largest barrel contour that would fit the McMillan a5 or HTG varmint contour.

Nothing larger as is I doubt. Either sand it open with big socket wrapped in sandpaper or send it back to McMillan to open up channel.

Standard / med palma should fit or fit with little sanding. MTU will require some work if done by hand I'd think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foweis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so whats the largest barrel contour that would fit the McMillan a5 or HTG varmint contour. </div></div>

The largest that would fit without sanding is a VARMINT CONTOUR. If you modify it you could use the same stock with a 1.25 straight no taper.

Varmint contour is .830 at the muzzle with a double radius at the shank end. The MTU is .930 at the muzzle and is a straight tapper after the shank. If you do not understand that then I would look at the contour tables on Bartlines barrels website to get an understanding.

Any smith should be able to handle it just fine. Check out a couple of C.Dixon threads in the gunsmith section. He accutally fills the exsting inlett in and starts over.

Glad you got it.

You could always find the dimensions of the barrel you want to put in and call McMillan and see if whatever stock they have will fit that barrel.