• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock for Benchrest Shooting with One-Piece Mechanical Rest

rick137

All rig and no target.
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
OR
I have an Anschutz 1727F 22LR rig I would like to do accuracy determination by running it in a one-piece mechanical rest on a bench. The barreled action is currently in a GRS Sporter stock in which the buttstock has a slight downward slope and the forend a substantial upward slope. With a slope the recoil changes the angle of the barrel. Not desirable but presumably very consistent shot-to-shot so could it be "sighted" out?

As an alternative GRS makes a Hybrid stock for the 1727F which has a very, very slight upward slope while the forend a slight downward slope. Perhaps the opposing slopes keep the barrel from rotating during recoil?

Any intel on the effect of stock slope on accuracy using a bench-rested one-piece mechanical rest would be gratefully appreciated.

Rick

How good are you with basic woodworking Rick?
Scrap lumber and epoxy can be used to fabricate a simple/heavy barrel block rig.
Barrel and support surface will be parallel when complete...think Fuglie.

7C33C5CC-ABB1-4BBC-8236-6EB88DFFF2D2.jpeg
Even my custom Stiller 2500 in a Rotex stock has a little slope in the rear. You might look at a McMillan BR50 stock.

Reactions: rick137
The desire for a parallel barrel, fore end and butt seems sensible.
But once you have achieved this, you then need to elevate the fore end to hit the bull at 50 metres,
and even more, at longer distances.. Thus the whole gun is set at a slight upwards angle.

You could argue that, for a 50 metre rifle, you should set the barrel in the stock at the correct angle to hit the bull.

Or am I on the wrong track...??

How good are you with basic woodworking Rick?
Scrap lumber and epoxy can be used to fabricate a simple/heavy barrel block rig.
Barrel and support surface will be parallel when complete...think Fuglie.
@justin amateur

LOL. My wife calls me the anti-handy-man. Less seriously, a stock/chassis is part of a weapon system, a.k.a. rig, and I want to determine the accuracy of more-or-less standard rigs with the degradations from marksmanship and the environment minimized.

First up is a Vudoo single shot in a Foundation Centurion stock. Attachments show the underside of the Centurion stock and the weapon system. Since not intended to be a benchrest stock, the flat part of the buttstock parallel to forend is a only small interval very near rear of buttstock. Thus the forend extends way beyond front rest. To provide a stop used a picatinny rail in the Foundation enhanced UIT. The two ranger bands wrapped around the picatinny rail are for vibration mitigation.

Using non-lot tested box of Center-X I have no idea how many shots can be kept within a 1MOA diameter disk at 198yd. Hope to do the determination next week.

Good shooting, Rick

P1010149_DxO.jpg
P1010151_DxO.jpg

Cliff Arnold
@gkgeiger

It looks like you are able to change the length of the bungy cord with a device whose name escapes me but is used to adjust length of cords in backpacks. Could you please provide details. One of the variables would seem to be the force the bungy cord exerts on trigger guard, all the way from 0.0N for true free recoil to some finite value for bungy cord constrained recoil.

Many thanks, Rick

View attachment 7857891Even my custom Stiller 2500 in a Rotex stock has a little slope in the rear. You might look at a McMillan BR50 stock.

Last edited:
@gkgeiger

It looks like you are able to change the length of the bungy cord with a device whose name escapes me but is used to adjust length of cords in backpacks. Could you please provide details. One of the variables would seem to be the force the bungy cord exerts on trigger guard, all the way from 0.0Nm for true free recoil to some finite value for bungy cord constrained recoil.

Many thanks, Rick
Not sure exactly what you want but I just put enough tension on it to return to the forward stop after every shot. That’s one less thing to think about.

By the way, the rest has a roller top, and if fired free recoil without the bungee the rifle would probably be on the ground

Reactions: JimTN
Not sure exactly what you want but I just put enough tension on it to return to the forward stop after every shot. That’s one less thing to think about.
How the bungy cord is attached to the mast. It does not appear to be tied.

One easy method to attach a bungy cord is with a hose clamp. Find one that fits the diameter of the rest post. You can easily make adjustments to the bungy length with a screwdriver or 1/4 in nut driver. Let me add that the clamp needs to be a bit larger than the post so you can slide the bungy between it and the post. Really makes it easy to adjust tension.

Last edited:
Reactions: rick137
The desire for a parallel barrel, fore end and butt seems sensible.
But once you have achieved this, you then need to elevate the fore end to hit the bull at 50 metres,
and even more, at longer distances.. Thus the whole gun is set at a slight upwards angle.

You could argue that, for a 50 metre rifle, you should set the barrel in the stock at the correct angle to hit the bull.

Or am I on the wrong track...??
There are some who believe that you are absolutely on track. I believe Tod Hendricks (2020 F Class National Champion) had custom stocks made that have the indicated launch angle built in. See his interview with Cortina on his Believe the Target YouTube channel.