• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock for ELR build

Taylorbok

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2017
Sask, Canada
I've looked around a fair bit and just want to make sure I'm not missing something before I commit.
The features I'm looking for are Adjustable Bag Rider (thumb wheel). Adjustable Cheek riser, and Adjustable butt plate.
The action I am using is from KS Arms up in Canada here, same footprint as a Stiller Tac Driver 1.6

The options I can find are either the Fusion Pro (Terry Dines) or Manners LRT 2.0. My issue with both these is the material, I've never used either of these specifically but I'm not a fan of the aluminum chassis that I've shot I know that, just the feel and vibrations. I've only ever shot carbon on lightweight hunting rigs and they just don't feel right to me, maybe the LRT 2.0 is different.

Right now I'm leaning to having a custom wood stock made, There is a stock maker up here that will incorporate the features and design I want.
I wouldn't be opposed to trying the LRT 2.0 if I could find a used one or something but it would suck to wait a year for it and end up not liking it. I know I'd be happy with wood, fiberglass or even Micarta if foundation made something.

Any thoughts or input welcome.

Last edited:
There's a guy that makes wood stocks specifically for ELR, I will try and find the website.

Reactions: Taylorbok
Dima's look very nice, but don't have the ABR. Couldn't be that difficult to add, and I know Dan Warner has posted some pics of an ABR he is making for the McMillan Beast stocks, that I'm sure could be used in other stocks too.
Or carve your own and use it for a year until a manners comes in, lol.

This could work, but no ABR

Cerus might be a while lol, though they look awesome.

Shurley Brothers was another place I was looking

Scott

Or carve your own and use it for a year until a manners comes in, lol.
I actually thought about this. It would be super cool to say I built my own stock but I don’t have much for wood working tools, I’m sure I could borrow most of what I’d need from buddies but inletting the action would probably be a chore

I actually thought about this. It would be super cool to say I built my own stock but I don’t have much for wood working tools, I’m sure I could borrow most of what I’d need from buddies but inletting the action would probably be a chore
When you get it ready for inlet, bring it to a smith that can do the inlet and bedding

Scott

When you get it ready for inlet, bring it to a smith that can do the inlet and bedding

Scott
I suppose even a moderate inletting job would be rectified by a good pillar install and bedding job.
You've sent me down a research rabbit hole of death. LOL

At this point I'm 99% sure I could make my own wood stock but I didn't realize how much a blank would be. $500+ some of the really nice stuff is way up there.

Seems like main thing is the blanks are dried/ stabilized. It'd be nice to try with a cheaper piece but that's lots of work and time to put into something that would essentially be useless.

I suppose even a moderate inletting job would be rectified by a good pillar install and bedding job.
You've sent me down a research rabbit hole of death. LOL

At this point I'm 99% sure I could make my own wood stock but I didn't realize how much a blank would be. $500+ some of the really nice stuff is way up there.

Seems like main thing is the blanks are dried/ stabilized. It'd be nice to try with a cheaper piece but that's lots of work and time to put into something that would essentially be useless.

Holy hell, I know... that tread is like 80 pages, and I'm sure there are other threads linked and referenced lol.

There are some incredible looking blanks out there, and they do get up there in price, and a mistake would be costly.

Yes making sure it's stabilized is very important. Like you said, if the bedding and pillars are right, and it's free floated. It should shoot. It may not track awesome, but it should shoot.

I think there are laminate blanks that shouldn't be too pricey. I've seen an example where someone got hardwood planks from Home Depot, sandwiched them together, and started there.

Scott

Holy hell, I know... that tread is like 80 pages, and I'm sure there are other threads linked and referenced lol.

There are some incredible looking blanks out there, and they do get up there in price, and a mistake would be costly.

Yes making sure it's stabilized is very important. Like you said, if the bedding and pillars are right, and it's free floated. It should shoot. It may not track awesome, but it should shoot.

I think there are laminate blanks that shouldn't be too pricey. I've seen an example where someone got hardwood planks from Home Depot, sandwiched them together, and started there.

Scott
It should track great if everything is square and parallel.
Even using smaller slabs and gluing together you’d want it to be properly dry which would be hard to guarantee unless buying from reputable source or drying yourself. I gotta dig into that a bit more

Reactions: A5scott
I know i am late to this conversation but sence your in canada reach out to darrel mclain he is perhaps Canadas best custom competition wood stock manufactoring guy . You should be able to find him threw mike at ks barrels or get darrels phone number threw dennis lair at go ballistics gunsmithing . He is also a great guy to handle your bedding needs.