• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock for Savage 10

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
Well, I built myself a 260 with a criterion barrel on a 4.275 short action with the accutrigger. I built a custom stock but it has turned out to be a big pain in the butt. I cant get it to free float just right or else it puts some torque on the action. So, I called stockade thinking I would get one of the unfinished and just fill and paint myself; but, theres a 4-5 month wait. So, I am looking for suggestions for a stock to be used for hunting, and on the range as well. I cannot afford a mcmillan, unfortunately, but I would really like to hear all other suggestions for some solid, accurate stocks. Thank you!

Re: Stock for Savage 10

For that action spacing Bell & Carlson Durramax would be the best bet for the money and a good hunting stock. I have mine in a McMillan HTG and love it however a Durramax will serve you well. You may have to do some minor in-letting but a little time and patience will go a long way.

I have a Sharp Shooter supply stock on the below listed Savage 10. I would however not recomend them. This stock is 2003 era, I found thier customer service bad then, I feel they are even worse now.

First choice = HS Precision

Second Choice = Bell and Carlson (I have one on a model 110, good solid stock for the money)

Really, thats all I am aware of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Sharp Shooter supply stock on the below listed Savage 10. I would however not recomend them. This stock is 2003 era, I found thier customer service bad then, I feel they are even worse now.

First choice = HS Precision

Second Choice = Bell and Carlson (I have one on a model 110, good solid stock for the money)

Really, thats all I am aware of. </div></div>

+1 on the lousy CS from SSS. I just got a stock from them. Lisa said it would take 10 weeks, but I was prepared for it to take much longer (it took 6 months). They didn't return emails, and the phone was never answered. The stock just showed up one day without notice, and I still owed the a few bucks (maybe $50). The stock had a butt hook, which I didn't order. There was no rear swivel stud which I asked for, and had a 1/2 in butt pad when I asked for the 1". Oh, did I mention it was the wrong color. I didn't even consider returning it, because who knows when I would have seen the stock the way I ordered it.

I was going to say check out the Mc Millan line at stocky's, but they don't offer one for blind mag. They're $450-650ish. What about the Choate ultra sniper or ultra varminter?

For off-the-shelf, you're pretty much limited to B&C Duramaxx, the A2 Medalist Tactical, or Choate Tactical/Varmint/Sniper.

Really, really wish B&C would make the M40 and the A3 Light Tactical for Savages, especially the long action!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i really like the Hart HRT stock....go to stockys...it's cheap </div></div>

I like the design- but I don't think it's available for the staggered-feed action, I've been looking for it for my own Model 10 I'm working on.

Got a link for it?

I'm not a fan of thumbholes "aesthetically", but have never handled one. I was thinking of this:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/VT-SAVAGE-10BLIND-MAG-BULL-BARREL-CHANNEL-NUTMEG-p/610-403-f.htm

I'm going to bed the action and install pillars anyway, so a laminated stock with no frills is just fine with me.

Wow, five month wait for an unfinished stock.
I'm in the wrong business, for sure...

I wish they would make the A3 for savages as well!!

And yeah, I called to order the Stockade Woodchuck, and was turned away when he told me there was a 15+ week wait....thats a lot of time for no shooting!

I've got the BC medalist tactical type stock on my Savage and its been great. I did however beltsand off the "flares" on the forearm, as well as give the forearm a bit of slope. It's pretty much a McM A3 now. For $200? Hard to complain.

I have a model 10 in a Duramax stock and really like it...may not be the be stock, but for less than $100 it is very solid. I also have a Rem 700 22-250 in one of the Boyds thumb-hole stocks you have linked to, and it is awesome, the fit and finish of it is outstanding. I almost stuffed the model 10 into one of Boyds thumb-holes, but went with the Duramax because it is synthetic and more along the lines of my low budget build requirements

For a stock with a full-aluminum bedding block, what do you guys think about the B&C Tactical Medalist? I will sand some of the front of the stock off because I do not really care for that look, but it looks like it should be a solid stock. What do you think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Bailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a stock with a full-aluminum bedding block, what do you guys think about the B&C Tactical Medalist?</div></div>

Works very well (I've got one on a 12FV and sold the one I had on my 10FP for a Manners T2)...and Red Hawk Rifles has the cheapest price on the internet for them.