• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Help -- Manners MCS-T or McMillan HTG

bmt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Skinner's Mudhole, Oregon
Guys:

I currently have a Savage 16 (Old stlyle) rigged as follows:

Nightforce 2.5-10x42 MOAR. Talley Low Rings. CDI precision mag box.

The rifle is at Bartlein right now for a rebarrell to a: 20 inch, #4, 5R, 11.25 twist, threaded.

It sits in a McMillan Classic Stock.

I have been able to shoot this rifle, but not repeatedly or comfortably. The stock just does not fit me--No palm swell, comb is too low, the "pistol grip" is angled back and irritates my hand and shoulder0.

I also have a Tikka t-3 synthetic. I shoot comfortably with this rifle all day long. I need to add comb height to this using a stock pouch/pad.

I am looking at replacing the Stock with the HTG or the MCS-T.

Usage is mixed: precision/target and hunting.

Any feedback/tips/knowledge about the the two choices would be appreciated.

Thanx

BMT

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412543790.073612.jpg

I have the MCS-T with BDL mini chassis and freaking love it. Once my stock pack comes in it will be complete.

Would recommended to anyone looking for a long distance and or hunting rig.

Have owned both. The HTG is a lot slimmer in the grip and cheek is really low. The MCS-T has cheeky palm grip & higher comb. If you get mold-in finish, its personal preference between the glossy old school mcmillan look or matte & sponge camo look of the Manners. With either stock I still find myself needing a stock pack for proper elevation so the adjustable option is worth considering if the extra pound isn't an issue. Overall for me, the MCST is the better stock. May be even consider the EH2 if you want to drop 10-12 oz

If you do not like the angle of the pistol grip on your current stock, you probably will not like the htg or t. You may want to check out a more vertical grip like that on pretty much every other stock sold by mcmillan and manners.

If you do not like the angle of the pistol grip on your current stock, you probably will not like the htg or t. .

I do like the grip on the Synthetic Tikka T3 Stock. And I added a little palm swell with a stick on padding at one time (to my McMillan to simulate the palm swell on the Tikka)--which helped a LOT!

BMT

Last edited:
I have a Manners MCS-T on my hunting rig. So far I love in and was exactly what I wanted for this rifle. It has plenty of cheek height for the scope I'm using on it.

ebcc66a3f664b989f5ae653682e550b3_zps0d493621.jpg

Another great opton would be the McMillan A-3 Sporter. It is a fantastic blend of the feel of a full blown tactical stock but is trimmer in areas to keep the bulk and weight down. Might be a great "middle ground" option.

I really like the MCS T stock, in fact I am changing all my rifles to it. I have tried a lot of different stocks and this one works best for me in all positions. My hunting rifles are getting the Manners EH2 which is like the MCS T in a lighter package.

I have both and recommend you get the adjustable comb option. The McMillan HTG can be had in various fill weights (even Edge/carbon fiber). Both are outstanding.