• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock Makeover -- texture & paint

308Dude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Northern CA
I've been wanting to give my new Remington 700 5R Milspec that custom touch. So I decided to apply texture and paint (Krylon). This is how I did it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 1:</span> Clean stock with acetone.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 2:</span> Mask off areas to get textured.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 3:</span> Mix Marine-tex epoxy & let it set 5 minutes
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 4:</span> Apply Marine-Tex to stock like cake frosting
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 5:</span> After 20 min or more, when it starts to begin setting up, dab it all over with the flat side of a popsicle stick to create a spikey texture.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 6:</span> Repeat step 5 as necessary
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 7:</span> After approx 60+ min, pull off tape before it gets too hard but after it firms up a bit. Let it dry 24 hours at 70 degrees.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 8:</span> Prep for painting. Clean. Mask butt plate and innards.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 9:</span> Spray base color coat (light tan-green)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 10:</span> Cut stencils out of masking tape on Jeep window. Apply.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 11:</span> Spray 2nd color (brown) Apply more stencils.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 12:</span> Spray 3rd color (black) Apply more stencils.
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 13:</span> Spray 4th color (green)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Step 14:</span> Spray clear coat

Stock_makeover1.jpg

Stock_makeover2.jpg

Stock_makeover3.jpg

Stock_makeover4.jpg

Stock_makeover5.jpg

Stock_makeover6.jpg

Stock_makeover7.jpg

Stock_makeover8.jpg

This was my first attempt at both textureing and painting a stock. You will learn lots by doing it yourself as I did. Hope this helps you and gives you confidence to do it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Best Lessons Learned:</span>

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Marine-Tex likes to self-level so keep spikeing it.
[*]Black looks really good next to brown; shadow 3-D effect.
[*]Watch your stencil edges to avoid "leakage".
[*]"Ultra-Flat" paint really is flatter than everything else. [/list]

Re: Stock Makeover -- texture & paint

Funny you mention the visosity of the marine-tex. I know alot of people recommend it but for me the devcon 10110 is much easier, stays spikey on the first run and then gets knocked down with a file when cured.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that stock factory? i didnt know the 5r's had the adj. comb.</div></div>
It's the factory HSP stock but was customized to have the adjustable cheek by Joe in NCPPRC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny you mention the visosity of the marine-tex. I know alot of people recommend it but for me the devcon 10110 is much easier, stays spikey on the first run and then gets knocked down with a file when cured. </div></div>

Given what you said and my experience with Marine-Tex, I'd try Devcon next time.

looks good and thank you for making the how to guide.. i've been looking into doing that with my rem 700sps tac.. now i have a how to guide..

Sean