• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Market

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Im feeling optimistic.

My thoughts are that the market has needed a correction.

Id rather see a correction related to unrelated fears rather than to some sort of actual economic issue.

Granted fears of Corona virus are creating actual market problems in supply chains and purchase orders but Im thinking once Corona virus is revealed as a nothing burger shit is going to spin up very fast.

Co workers laments about his 401K got me thinking about this.

Who cares?

Unless people start dropping dead in the streets or if he decides to retire tomorrow nothing to see and good opportunities

This isn't a true "correction". It related to your second statement:
    Granted fears of Corona virus are creating actual market problems in supply chains and purchase orders but Im thinking once Corona virus is revealed as a nothing burger shit is going to spin up very fast.

If there was no virus going on, this market situation would be considered a "correction". Wall Street is just using that term now so they can use it as a benchmark in a discussion now and in the future.

Reactions: Zeroit
    This isn't a true "correction". It related to your second statement:

If there was no virus going on, this market situation would be considered a "correction". Wall Street is just using that term now so they can use it as a benchmark in a discussion now and in the future.

Agreed and I tried to convey that in my statement.

A true correction would be based on some market fundamentals.

In a sense this is causing market weakness but its an outside factor. Its an asterisk in the stock report.

Once it is forgotten about we will move on.

A wise financial advisor once told me:

When the market tanks you can do one of three things.
    1) You can do nothing, the market will recover along with your investments.
    2) You can sell, you will lose money since you are selling while the market is down.
    3) You can buy, you will likely make money since you will be buying while the market is low in anticipation of the recovery.

Your choice.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

You should feel optimistic. First off, the Coronavirus happened around Chinese New Years, so China's economy was going to slow down any way. Also, the area affected only makes up 4.7 percent of the Chinese economy. With in a few months the market will be back up. Within a few weeks the news media will be onto new headline, so that they can sell advertising space and make money. This scare couldn't have come a better time for the President. It's far enough from the election that any dip will recover and once people realize the news media and Dems blew this thing out of proportion Trump will gain more votes.

Last edited:
    Another way to look at a stock market crash/correction/dip/drop/blip/downturn/etc/etc/etc is not to think of it in that sense, but to think of it in the sense that EVERYTHING IS ON SALE!!

Those high stock prices are now on rollback baby, time to find the best items to purchase on sale and find a price in your mind that would make that sale, and buy it!

You will never time the perfect bottom, so don't be a pig ;) Pigs get slaughtered

Sanity at some point will prevail. When it does the upside will be meteoric.

Confucius say buy in panic time, sell in greedy time.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
    I'm expecting the dip to reverse as soon as a viable vaccine has been announced AND delivered. This is a market event you can actually time!

I'm expecting the dip to reverse as soon as a viable vaccine has been announced AND delivered. This is a market event you can actually time!

Last I heard, they expect to have it in 18 months at the earliest.

give it another week to drop more then buy and watch while it climbs back up hope you make a killing so you can buy more ammo and guns and scopes

Reactions: oneshot86
    give it another week to drop more then buy and watch while it climbs back up hope you make a killing so you can buy more ammo and guns and scopes

Cant buy anything with it.

Its ethereal.

Its a fairy princess until I retire and hopefully this shot wont be happening simultaneously with retirement.

Reactions: Ric O'shay
    You can reinvest in more stocks especially in the company that produces the vaccine. Just hope that the vaccine is created in a publicly traded company.

Unlike Elizabeth Warrens Mutual Funds my 401K is invested in stocks.

I may be buying that company and just not specifically know it.

Another bloodbath on the market today.

Somewhere, someone....is smiling.

Im feeling optimistic.

My thoughts are that the market has needed a correction.

Id rather see a correction related to unrelated fears rather than to some sort of actual economic issue.

Co workers laments about his 401K got me thinking about this.

Who cares?

Unless people start dropping dead in the streets or if he decides to retire tomorrow nothing to see and good opportunities
    100%. The buy orders that started popping early this morning had been in place for several months at prices I hoped would fill sometime this year and it's happened sooner than I thought. Growth and especially tech had come so far so fast it was overly ripe for this move. Only 1 new flavor, but added to several other names I already own selling at fantastic discounts. Dollar cost averaging is a beautiful thing.

I also don't believe this pull back is 100% corona.....there is some Sanders polling being priced in here.

Buy opportunity. When to buy during the dip is the skill.

Exactly. Also referred to as "catching a falling knife".

The real trick to timing a move back into the market will be getting in just ahead of the Fed's inevitable announcement of a rate cut. Really, the only thing that has moved the market higher over the past 10 years have been the Fed.

Until that point, it's game-on for the bears as we all start to learn just how fragile the world's supply chain has become (and by the royal "we", I mean anything that doesn't work in manufacturing or retail, because those people should have come to that realization long ago).

On a professional level, I think we're getting close to the point where I can start cashing in some I-told-you-so claims from several years ago. Unfortunately, they have no monetary value :(

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Or keep it and let it stuff dividends in your pocket! At the prices some of these value space dividend kings are selling at it's a cash register. This is one of the areas where the interwebs has been so powerful for individuals to back test positions during these types of shocks.

It isn't over yet...but I have been waiting for this and am ready to go

Down just over 1k today...likely will not be able to time the bottom, since it will likely be a couple months before we really know how much if any COVID-19 will really impact the US.

There is still plenty of room for the fall ,as there is nothing but FED money flood proping up the crazy stock market valuation, earnings by the listed companies are not even remotely near the growth of the stock value. When this burn ends companies that blew their cash on stock buybacks will be sore loosers.

Will be interesting to see TSLA crash and burn as is valuation is beyond crazy.

Last edited:
    There is still plenty of room for the fall ,as there is nothing but FED money flod proping up the crazy stock market valuation. earnings by the listed companies are not even remotely near the growth of the stock value. When this burn ends companies that blew their cash on stock buybacks will be sore loosers.
    David Stockman has been tooting that horn for 35 years.....he's wrong every time. 'Oh but next time it will be the end'. He's made untold fortunes writing books about it and maybe b/f he dies he will be right. At some point there will be a debt instrument bonfire I 100% agree. At that time it won't matter if your money is under a mattress, in a bank or in gold when the reset button is pushed the same people will peg the new currency....they are not us. Fighting central bankers is a losing proposition....it took me 2 years into the recovery to accept that rules of personal finance will never apply to governments....deficit spending is here until the end.

Great read if you like topics on finance:

Looks like Yellen will have me going through the refi process next month.

If they are going to QE I prefer keeping the rates down, helping me get my house paid off and saving the country on interest, that printing money shit, which this basically is in a different manner sucks.

7DC86136-BF2C-4DBC-B573-9F104BCF04D7.jpeg

It’s below both the 50 and 200 day moving averages but no death cross as yet. Probably at least get a dead cat bounce back to the 200 then it’s decision time.
    We were 20% buyers early today. May be a little early but we’ll see. We had tight stops on the new highs and got taken out (which was fine) we moved 20% back today.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza

Demand isn't down.

I doubt spending is down.

If anything I'm thinking everyone sitting in their houses scared, hitting Amazon is increasing spending.

When I was laid up with appendicitis last summer I bought some shit.

Apple is coming on line with their factories that temporarily shut down, others will follow.

And than there is this.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Two weeks Corona virus will have run its course in two weeks. Maybe less the election starts Wednesday.

The news cycle will move on.

Reactions: OldSalty
    Unlike Elizabeth Warrens Mutual Funds my 401K is invested in stocks.

I may be buying that company and just not specifically know it.
    I’m sure you already know this but lighten it up at least 18-24 months before checkout time.

Demand isn't down.

I doubt spending is down.

If anything I'm thinking everyone sitting in their houses scared, hitting Amazon is that ncreasing spending.

When I was laid up with appendicitis last summer I bought some shit.

Apple is coming on line with their factories that temporarily shut down, others will follow.

And than there is this.........

View attachment 7260933

View attachment 7260934

Good point.
    Apple is doing share buybacks down here I’m told.

Let me put my tinfoil hat on for a min but...

I aint buying ish from Amazon for the next couple months LoL.

I know thats probably over the top, but meh.

I’m sure you already know this but lighten it up at least 18-24 months before checkout time.

I don't know what the timing is.

I like to milk the cow once a year just to realign ratios.

I look at returns and see if my choices are still top performing across the spans of time.

18-24 months s closer to quitting than I would have thought, a lot will depend on what's going on at the time.

Reactions: Dewey7271
    Looks like Yellen will have me going through the refi process next month.

If they are going to QE I prefer keeping the rates down, helping me get my house paid off and saving the country on interest, that printing money shit, which this basically is in a different manner sucks.
    Powell running the show now, Yellen is out to pasture.

Powell running the show now, Yellen is out to pasture.

Good point. He has been such a ghost I forgot. Wonder if OANN knows that as they were showing a picture of Yellen while talking of the rate cut.

Doesn't matter looks like New England Journal of Medecine is going to ruin the needed pull back and the Dem coup........

Good point. He has been such a ghost I forgot. Wonder if OANN knows that as they were showing a picture of Yellen while talking of the rate cut.

Doesn't matter looks like New England Journal of Medecine is going to ruin the needed pull back and the Dem coup........

Dammit.
    Couldn’t they be quiet another few days so I can buy more?:ROFLMAO:

And @pmclaine youre correct. We actually start adjusting stuff around 4 years prior.

old male smokers drop like flies. There are a boat load of variable with reinfection apparently being very deadly. But so much is unknown at moment cannot make concrete statements.

old male smokers drop like flies. There are a boat load of variable with reinfection apparently being very deadly. But so much is unknown at moment cannot make concrete statements.

Chinese, Asians in general, occasionally add oxygen to their lungs when not smoking Marlboros.........

I improved cost basis' on a couple positions yesterday, and a couple today, was up watching the news/futures at 3:15 this morning. Neurosurgeon appointed at 12:20 today either saved me money or cost me some, depending on what the virus news is over the weekend. I will be watching futures and locked and loaded on Monday morning depending on the market conditions.

I sat on too much cash the last year waiting for this correction, upside is I have it now and the opportunities are much better.

Reactions: Quest1000
    People are pretty funny and emotional about their investments.

The stock market is having a big sale right now. Rather then celebrating and buying, most people are panicking.

When you see reactions like what you are seeing now, from the general populace, it's really no wonder that most people are doing poorly in their investments and generally buying high and selling low.

Trying to capitalize on this is not part of my personal investment strategy, as I'm an Index/ETF guy that plays the long game. But there's certainly lot's of opportunities to be had if you have the knowledge and risk appetite to do so.