• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock Options

The Shottist

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Apache Junction, Az
Not the investments, but I'm looking to replace the tupperware on my 700P in .338 Lapua. I looked at some McMillan stocks yesterday. I could tell that they are extremely rigid, but I was surprised to be told that they don't use any aluminum in them. Is that correct? or was he just trying to sell me what he had? I was also surprised to learn the cheek piece adjustment is only vertical, no horizontal adjustment to align my eye in the scope. Does anyone offer a solution to that?

I have already bedded my oem stock, but the stock is not as rigid as I think it needs to be, so I am looking for a better stock. I am open to any brand or suggestions.

If I choose Mcmillan, I also need a referral to a gunsmith to have the inlet machined, the guy yesterday recommended not ordering the stock from McMillan with it already cut. But he wants $600 to inlet the stock and bed it.

Any suggestions?

Re: Stock Options

Rather than seeking secondhand info, allow me to suggest you ask the source.

They are decent folks who will give you a straight answer if you give them a call and give them a chance to explain their goods and services.

They did a superb job of pillar bedding my McM A3 Tactical. Hard to find folks who know the process better where McM stocks are involved.

BTW, my A3's cutout style adjustable cheek rest has somewhat more than 1/4" of lateral adjustment built into the cheek block mount.

I won't derogate you gunsmith's advice, but every McM stock I've had was already inletted for my action well enough to shoot very well even before they were bedded. This seems to be a rather common experience.

My A5 was an early prototype; and I used it, unbedded, as a demo stock for others to try their barreled (Savage) action in.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't derogate you gunsmith's advice, but every McM stock I've had was already inletted for my action well enough to shoot very well even before they were bedded. This seems to be a rather common experience. </div></div>Thanks for the link. I suspected that he was full of s***, that why I asked here. I see a lot of options that he told me weren't available. He is obviously more interested in selling his inventory and his overpriced labor than doing the right thing and giving the customer what the customer wants.

Please let me add a little to what was already said above. I second tha McM does one of the very best pillar bedding jobs available. I was fortunate enough to spend three full days with their master bedding guy. After they bed the rifle, the stock goes back to the paint shop or to the people that redo there molded in colors to touch up any marks that are made in the bedding process. The results are beautiful flawless work. The only down side is there could be a long wait

There are also many very good gunsmiths here to chose from to do this work. My two favorites are William Roscoe at LA Precision, and Mark Gordon at Short Action Customs. Good luck with your decision.