• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock Painting MCM Edge

KAZ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2004
BROWNWOOD, TX
I have an Edge stock that I would like to paint and thought perhaps there was some expertise on the subject. I'm thinking of using Krylon Fusion which claims to be for plastics. Any ideas? This is on a benchrest rifle that gets tender care. Thanks

Re: Stock Painting MCM Edge

Use automotive paints, the finish will be 1000x better. Look at some of the Kandy Colors, Kandy Apple Red with a Gold base and five coats of high gloss clear is hard to beat. "House of Kolors" Brand is one of the better options.

http://houseofkolor.com/

i agree on the auto paint, any time you have a top coat that requires a hardner it is going to last much longer and not react to solvents

Some clear coats resist solvents better than others.Even ones made by the same company.Thats why they have expensive and cheap clears.Just like rifles,scopes,etc.They will get the job done.But not as good of a product. Just don't be lazy and not clean them off the stock. They will stain. But automotive paint is a great way to go. Oh and 90 days on the clear and they should be fully cured then. Solvents even though dry still escape for up to 90 days or more. So they still will be safe with solvents. But take care not to get crazy with them for that time period.

altough some of the newer high soids cure much faster than they used too, in auto painting they sill say to wait 90 days for full cure for waxing but they do cure much faster than that. the 90 days thing is left over from the slower enamel days.

True but I have seen things happen at work that would cause me to be cautious. Yes 99% of the time its fine. But that damn 1% kills a sweet paint job. Each to his own though. Not saying your wrong. Just with everything use common sense.

You guys have been very helpful. I'm convinced that I will either live with the original swirl factory finish or send it off to a pro. Thanks

here is one i painted last week with lesonal auto base coat and flat clear
i was going for the gap look that is on the htg.
it was fun

SANY0353.jpg

Same paint. Lesonal(Sikkens). If you don't mind me asking whats the code for that od green. I have been using I think a land rover color.Mine looks ok. Or did you just mix it up?

Nice looking paint on those stocks too.

the od green is duracoat that i mixed with 3 different colors of duracoat that i have
the tan and black are lesonal. it doesnt match exactly to the gap but i didnt want to but more because i am going to switch to cerakoat for barreled actions.
do you have a sikkens color map? the soild color map has a chip with a good od green. i can get the colormap number for you.

Yes. I love the color chip book. Only pain is there is so many greens close to choose. I dont have any real GAP camo to match to. If you could get the map # for me it would be appreciated.

Thanks I appreciate it. I will look it up monday when we get back to work.

the htg in the pics is molded in color from mcmillan
the a5 is the one i painted.
when i looked at two od greens together comparing them to a gap camo mcmillan, the closest one in cerakoat looked like milspec green, it was more red brown looking than just od green.
i havent colormapped the tan color yet but i will this weekend.
they seem to be popular colors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks I appreciate it. I will look it up monday when we get back to work. </div></div>

if you have the colormap in your shop
the last page in the solids has flat camo colors.

You nailed it!! One of the finest that I've ever seen. Mine is a rimfire bench rifle (40X)that is stuck in a brown with black swirl and I would like some flash in a red or pearl white or ???

If your looking for a red. Doge viper red is an awsome color. Code is RN. If I remember. And thanks to be honest never looked in the back of the color map book.

you know what would be real flashy if it worked.
camo patern the stock then top coat with the camellion pearl color, you know those cars that are different colors at every angle.
if you could still see the camo pattern under the pearl, i think it would be cool for a bench gun

Yes it would. I'm also a fan of the trucker girl camo. But I guess you could do a candy camo. But wouldn't have the flip. Well the girlfriend is home from work. Have a safe new year. Were off to a party.

Used to work in a Auto Body shop if your looking at using auto paints try Martin Senior sold at Napa Auto Parts, a lot cheaper than House of Kolor and can get the same results with a little tinkering, a gloss red with Candy Flake in clear coat to get it even and shiny, many options for cheaper. I've seen PPG, House of Kolor, Martin Senior and had first hand XP. If you go by the book can get equal results through it all with small changes in mixing. If you need more details about primer, base, or clear please PM me I'd be glad to help you as much as I can. Just my 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys have been very helpful. I'm convinced that I will either live with the original swirl factory finish or send it off to a pro. Thanks </div></div>

The material alone was over $100 to paint this 6 Dasher BR rifle. Two days of work to complete it. Silver Kandy Base, Black Base for Skulls with White Base Accents, five coats of Kandy Tangerine and five coats of high gloss clear. This thing sparkles in the sun. It'll be Kandy Apple Red with a gold base next year, no skulls, just paint.

The base is very messy and gets all over everything unless you have a booth. The base is a bitch to clean out of your gun but the Kandies look bad ass if done right, nothing like em.

All paint material is a House of Kolor product.

vh42lh.jpg