• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock Painting Question

mac37

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I painted a stock with Krylon in a digital camo pattern. I want to finish with a clear coat. Here are my questions. Should I lightly sand the stock before clear coating? What brand clear coat should I use? I didn't see any matte or flat clear coat at the local hardware store. I have other stores to go to just need an idea of what I'm looking for.
Stock1.jpg

Stock2.jpg

Re: Stock Painting Question

Krylon flat clear will work well. And you could wet sand it with 1500 grit before you hit the clear, if you have raised edges from the stencils that is.

I'd go with USMCj's suggestions.

More importantly, you should post some pics of the stock for us to see.
smile.gif

if your fininsh is good you do not need to sand it for adhesion,
because when you apply the clear over the camo the clear will soften the paint and stick. if you like the way it looks but have edges i would clear the stock with a couple of coats and let it dry good. then sand the clear and recoat with clear, that way you do not sand off the color.

if you cannot find flat clear. i have used a grey scotchbrite pad and lightly dulled regular clear by going over the finish after it dries.