• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock Refinishing Question

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I have something I have never ran into before. I removed the finish from a Browning A5 that I am refinishing for a friend. On the buttstock, it looks like it is drawing moisture or oil to the surface. When I stripped it, there was nothing visible as far as old finish or oil was concerned, but now it is darkening like it is wet in some places. Any ideas?

Also, what is a good way to get the dark areas of the forend cleaned up? It looks like it is oil-soaked from wiping with an oily cloth.

David

Re: Stock Refinishing Question

Spray it with easy off oven cleaner(let it sit for an hour) and lightly scrub it with fine steel wool. Make sure you get all the cleaner off before you re-coat in whatever you choose

I had one so soaked in oil I had to go extreme. I soaked it in a
bucket of water with a soap for 24 hrs then, clear water for 24
hrs. Helped to swell out some dents too. Let it dry for weeks.
Tested it with a moisture meter and when it was low enough,
refinished entire stock with stain and Tru-oil. Customer
was satisfied. I had tried the oven cleaner but the wood was too
porous and the stock just had absorbed too much oil. That method
had worked great on several stocks in the past. Guess it just depends how much is in there.

Have you tried soaking the oily parts of the stock in rubbing alcohol? I soaked one several years ago. I ended up soaking the whole thing. When I did it in places the stock looked kind of light. I did it all over to keep the color matching.

Brownells has (or had) a product called "whiting compound." You mix it with TCE solvent to form a paste then slather it on the affected areas of the wood. The solvent soaks down into the wood and the oil wicks up into the paste. After it dries, you whisk the paste residue off and repeat as necessary. I have used it on MILSURP stocks and it may take many applications to get all the oil out of the wood.