• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing stock repair, will glassing this work well enough?

BradZ

Just Brad
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
The Sticks (SW PA)
I recently picked up a Mauser actioned 7mm Magnum at a very good deal. There's a couple minor problems with the wood on the gun though. First is purely cosmetic, the grip cap has a big knick in it that I think I can fix or replace.

Second I noticed when I took the metal out of the gun. There's a crack all the way through the wood in front of the trigger. It's kind of hard to get a good picture but I'm giving it a shot here.

photocml.jpg

That's the only part that might be more than cosmetic that I can't fix easily. Just wondering if I can acraglass the thing and that'll be strong enough now that one side of the wood is cracked.

What do ya think?

Last edited:
I've fixed similar cracks with 2ton epoxy (force all you can into the crack) and thin fiberglass cloth (epoxy soaked) wrapped around it. If you wrap a little fiberglass around it, you'll want to sand the stock down a little to makeup for the extra thickness. I've used files, sandpaper wrapped around a block, dremel tools, to take down the wood a little.

Both epoxy and fiberglass tape you can get at the local hobby shop.

I would also be looking to put in a crossbolt to prevent future cracking.

I have used cyanoacrylate, IC-2000, http://www.kmstools.com/bsi-ic-2000-cyanoacrylate-glue-1oz-7452 aka super glue to repair cracks in gunstocks. It has a 20 second plus working time. If you use a hair dryer on IC-2000 as you place it, it turns into the consistency of water and flows into any crack. You should have a cross bolt, clamps or a bunch of rubber bands ready to tighten and close the crack while the glue dries. A similar glue is available from Lee Valley Tools :http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=20022&cat=1,110,42966

thought about that. I don't wanna do any drilling it it though till that wood is secured where it needs to be. Not trying to make any big mistakes.

Last edited:
deffinately secure the crack first prior to installing a cross bolt. Depending on how much oil has soaked into the wood at that point you may or may not get a solid joint.