• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock Sponge Painting

bmicek

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2017
Kansas
I plan to paint and sponge my rifle stock to somewhat resemble a Manners the best I can. Does anyone have any pictures of rifles they have done and any tips? I know I will have to use a sponge with a large pore size but was curious if anyone had any recommendations for what worked best for them. Also curious on what paint has held up the best. I do not have access to an paint gun of any sort so will have to be done with rattle can. I also plan to use a few layers of matte clear coat to add some durability once complete. Thanks

Reactions: Cfshooter
I bought some sea sponges at Michaels Crafts Hobby Lobby probably has them too, then used Krylon Camo paints by spraying the paint into the cap then dabbing with the sponge. Finished up with a coat of clear mat Krylon. Has held up well.

basically i did as above (sea sponges and krylon camo). this was for my browning a-bolt hunting rifle and i didn't want anything reflective so no clear coat, though i guess i could get some sort of satin clear coat. if i really go at it, i can scrape a little off, but i guess that will just add to the camo (random) effect. plus i can always dab on more paint. i did wipe the stock down with mineral spirits prior to painting.

IMAG0087.jpg

JMGlasgow, what cheek rest did you install on your gun? (Nice paint job by the way).

I just buy the large rectangle sponges and cut them into large fries across their width. I spray the end of the sponge and dab it on a board until I get it printing the way I want. I always finish with darkest color printing as light as possible.

I sprayed and sponged my entire RPR. Pictures are posted in the Ruger Precision Rifle Discussion thread, page 46, the post is dated Sep 2, 2018.
<https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/ruger-precision-rifle-discussion.6252612/page-46>
I used a paper punch to create small masking dots to protect gas ports, power and parallax settings and all serial numbers. I talked to Burris tech support to be certain not to void the warranty. Used Krylon flat camo. If it gets roughed up in use, I can just touch up with a sponge. The suppressor will get redone this spring after I see how bad the heat darkens the colors. Don't sweat the small stuff, blemishes and scratches won't have a significant affect on the camo affect. Don't put the base coat on so thick you glue moving parts together.

This is how mine turned out.

I washed the stock down with dish soap and warm water, then let it dry for a few days. Then I just used some scrap cardboard to spray my paint against, allowing me to dip my sponge pieces. Did not take me to long.

Attachments

• 20190118_221827.jpg
    20190118_221827.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 566
I did two stocks a couple of weeks ago. Drove the 50+ miles round trip to Wal-Mart for sea sponges. When I got home I realized the sponges were harder than a three day erection and just made small patterns Went ahead with the small pattern, then added a larger pattern in olive drab with a "regular" cleaning sponge.

The second stock was a cheap black synthetic. Sprayed it with a texture paint, then added a bunch of vertical webbing. Top coated both with satin clear Krylon.
AR Camo.jpg
right.jpg

Attachments

• AR Camo.jpg
    AR Camo.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 1,408
I did two stocks a couple of weeks ago. Drove the 50+ miles round trip to Wal-Mart for sea sponges. When I got home I realized the sponges were harder than a three day erection and just made small patterns Went ahead with the small pattern, then added a larger pattern in olive drab with a "regular" cleaning sponge.

The second stock was a cheap black synthetic. Sprayed it with a texture paint, then added a bunch of vertical webbing. Top coated both with satin clear Krylon.View attachment 7016075View attachment 7016076
Hi
How did you do the hair like effect on the second stock?
Thanks

Ended up painting up abs sponging my stock today. Gotta say, it’s not what I was wanting exactly. Wish I would’ve went with bigger sponge blotches like a newer Manners stock has. May redo it sometime. Still doesn’t look that bad but not quite what I was going for.

Attachments

• AAF0ED05-46C2-461D-A3C5-E7144AF70656.jpeg
    AAF0ED05-46C2-461D-A3C5-E7144AF70656.jpeg
    765.7 KB · Views: 802
I ended up hitting it with a semi gloss clear coat and it made the colors pop even more. So I actually kind of like it now! Enough to probably just leave it how it is.

Attachments

• C6C402E0-1EC3-40E1-8495-9AA63011D103.jpeg
    C6C402E0-1EC3-40E1-8495-9AA63011D103.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 606
I should have mentioned. The stock is a Bergara HMR stock I bought for my Vudoo 22lr.

This is Rust-oleum Stone.
This is an older junker of a 700 SA factory tupperware stock I had laying around.
The stock is 1/2 gray, and 1/2 tan
I know it's not sponged...but I wanted to try out the speckle paint, before I venture into paint sponging a stock...
Great thread guys
Thanks!

20190202_183928.jpg

20190202_184009.jpg

Last edited:
I like it. How did you do the speckle? Is it textured?

It comes out speckled.
Really thick actually, almost like texture you would spray on your walls at home.

Reactions: Cfshooter
Ive been looking at a lot of paintjobs recently and think i want to go with an LRI type sponge. Any ideas on how to make this look? It would be great for coyotes.

Picture is stolen off the hide.

View attachment 7016583

I'd spray the base color then cut a sponge into thinner strips for the pattern, should be pretty easy.

I went with Brownells Alumi-Hide in parkerized grey/ coyote/and Stainless with two coats of the grey and natural sponge from hobby lobby . My receiver is stock black and the barrel is bead blasted stainless scope is a GEN II RAZOR on a McMillan A-3G in olive drab.
So far the alumihide is holding up to solvents and normal abuse!

I ended up hitting it with a semi gloss clear coat and it made the colors pop even more. So I actually kind of like it now! Enough to probably just leave it how it is.

I think your stock turned out great.

Since @Geno C. tagged me, I guess he wants me to post a few pics up, so here goes.

This was my first attempt.
20191209_141953.jpg

Two more a couple days later.
20191210_141628.jpg

And the last one I did a couple of weeks ago.
20200212_144731.jpg

For anyone wanting to do this, it's easy as hell.
Clean and mask the stock.
Start with the darker colors and go to town on it.

The base coat color can give a difference in color depth.
I started with either black or FDE.

@TampaBud started with a green base on this one.
IMG_7896.jpg

If things get messed up, let it dry a bit and paint over it.
Vary the pressure on the sponge and you'll get different effects.

I like to overlap the colors a bit. Some people like them completely separated.

As pointed out above, the matte or satin clear coat really makes the difference.

To make things easier, I sprayed paint into paper bowls and it made dabbing and wipe off easier in case I got too much on the sponge.

I have a chassis that's already black if I want my base to be black do I just leave it then sponge over or will it look funky because the original black is anodized?

I was curious on the second stock how you did the webbing. I would like to do red webbing on a black stock I have.

The second stock was a cheap black synthetic. Sprayed it with a texture paint, then added a bunch of vertical webbing. Top coated both with satin clear Krylon.View attachment 7016075View attachment 7016076