• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Stock SPS Tactical or Scout Supply Company Stage 1

jdc0589

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2012
Alabama
I'm interested in getting in to mid range shooting (100-500 yards) and am looking at a stock SPS Tactical in .223 or the Scout Supply Company Stage 1 SPS Tactical. This would be solely for target shooting, and maybe varmint hunting at some point in the future. The price difference is about $200 when its all said and done (shipping, ffl transfer or local tax). My reasoning behind the SPS tactical is that I like the size, .223 should get the job done at 100-500 yards at reasonable ammo prices, the twist rate should allow me to shoot heavier bullets well, and obviously the huge amount of aftermarket support is nice.

My question is, is the Stage 1 from scout supply company worth it for a beginner? I would rather pay more up front and have something that's going to last me longer if it's worth it. It seems like a ton of great features for the price.

For reference, my rifle experience is mostly comprised of a ton of .22 at ~100 yards, though I have shot plenty of intermediate caliber guns at comparable distances (never owned one though). I do reload, although only for 9x19mm at the moment (I would probably tool up for .223 within a few months of picking up a rifle).

I've searched around and done a good bit of reading, but feel free to tear me a new one if somehow my google-fu is weak. Thanks, any input is much appreciated.