• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock Upgrade Recommendations

jlorensen

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2020
Kansas City
I have an older M700 VS that I recently re-barreled. It still wears the original HS Precision stock. I'd like to upgrade to something traditional in style with a little better ergonomics.
I also want to retain the standard BDL bottom metal. I've been looking at options from Bell&Carlson and Stocky's, but wanted to ask for other recommendations. I'll put a budget of $500 on this.

Thanks!

What do you expect those that you listed to offer over the hs stock?
The hs would be the best option out of those you listed imo.

Reactions: Baron23
What do you expect those that you listed to offer over the hs stock?
The hs would be the best option out of those you listed imo.
The HS is a bit short in LOP, and I like the comfort of a slightly more vertical grip....a typical pistol grip is a little uncomfortable for my wrists. I thought about trying to change out the butt pad to gain a bit more length, but it's glued on and I'm not sure I want to cut it off.

So a vert grip but not a pistol grip but still traditional in style -whatever that means- with a longer lop and bdl.

A chassis like bravo or oryx would be the easy answer but you want cheap and a bdl so I guess pick a model from those you listed with a more vertical grip and go with it.

Yeah, I didn't understand the no pistol grip but more vertical either.

My whitetail gun is a 700 5R SS and it came in the HS stock. I really don't want to pour any money into this gun...not worth it and right now at almost 70 (and fucking Biden's economic disaster) I'm not really looking to spend a lot on a custom hunting rig (but would I love one! haha).

I had my local gunsmith true up the aluminum bedding block in the HS and we bedded it and that improved it noticeably. Put a trigger, rail, and scope on it and its gtg.

I've looked at "PRS" or "tactical" stocks with more vertical alignment of the grip and they also seem too far back from the trigger for me with my small (but powerful! ;-) haha) hands. Most McMillan stocks seem like that to me on examination from afar.

So, I just epoxied some god-a-grip Sorbothane material (the sticky on the material was not sufficiently strong) and built the grip front strap up to be more vertical and closer to the grip. Works well and is actually pretty comfortable.

Good luck with whatever you do, OP.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: jlorensen
HS makes the exact stock you're looking for. Comes with a mostly verticle grip, adjustable cheek piece and an adjustable LOP.

B&C probably has the same design at a lower price.

I have an older M700 VS that I recently re-barreled. It still wears the original HS Precision stock. I'd like to upgrade to something traditional in style with a little better ergonomics.
I also want to retain the standard BDL bottom metal. I've been looking at options from Bell&Carlson and Stocky's, but wanted to ask for other recommendations. I'll put a budget of $500 on this.

Thanks!

Seconding the sentiment that the H-S Precision is a fine stock. If you want a cheek riser and LOP adjustment, contact Joe Ducos (aka the stock doc) to do the alterations. He put a riser on my old H-S Precision. It's a great stock with a little work.

@jducos

B&C makes a fully adjustable r700 stock for about $450 I believe, with a vertical grip. I was looking at it before purchasing my current stock. It's more of a traditional style rifle stock rather than a chassis.

You can also go a little cheaper with a B&C m40 stock (about $300). Can't remember how much they charge to custom cut LOP, but it isn't much. Then add your own stock pack for comb height or whatever.

B&C has other affordable options. Ultimately they're what I chose.