• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Stock vs Chassis weight

RedRyder

Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
Lately, I've been seeing a lot of guys employing these skeletonized chassis - Cadex, Manners and what have you, I myself shoot McMillans - HTGs and A-5 adjustables. My question is - isn't it true that these chassis actually weight more than McMillans? Which, of course, could be a bad thing or a good thing.

Lately, I've been seeing a lot of guys employing these skeletonized chassis - Cadex, Manners and what have you, I myself shoot McMillans - HTGs and A-5 adjustables. My question is - isn't it true that these chassis actually weight more than McMillans? Which, of course, could be a bad thing or a good thing.

It depends and difficult to answer for all situations. Skeletonized chassis can be made very light and may, in principle, beat most of the conventional type stocks if rifle stock weight is a factor for comparison. However, people have tendency to attach a bunch of other stuff to the chassis, which makes it gain extra weight, like adjustable this and adjustable that, additional rails and other parts they want to attach for any reason they consider to be functionally important or just "tacticool". My personal preference is to use stock (or chassis) for hunting rifle which is no more than 3 lbs., whatever it takes to cut an extra weight and bring it to 3 lbs. or less. Kind of my own spec...

Last edited:
There is some overlap, but typically the chassis are heavier. You get a heavy T4A folder with a mini chassis and it will outweigh a KRG Xray. But you'll never get a chassis light like an EH1 or probably even some of the non-adjustable T4's etc.

I was looking at .338LM's... Deciding factor for me for stock vs. chassis was the 11lb. difference between the McMillan .338 and the AI rifle. The McMillan also costs a bit less. Was shocked the AI chassis was 11lbs. heavier. 11lbs.! FWIW, the McMillan .338 was one of Chris Kyle's newer favorite rifles and I'm guessing that had a good bit to do with it.

Never had a chassis stock yet but handled a few. Some were not too bad but others are awkward heavy lumps. The lightest Tac type stock I ever had was made by my son in 2011 and I still hunt with it . Weighs 828 grams (~29 Oz) including bedding, as it goes on the rifle. Shot my longest deer with it last year at 460m.
Just starting the build of a 338 LM stock, recon it will end up at 1200 grams.

NMmQ2z.jpg

edi

I have a few of these in the shop.............

McM A5 Adjustable with Badger M5 DBM = 4 lbs 4.2 oz
MPA BA Comp chassis: 5lbs 5.9 oz
JAE-700 chassis: 5lbs 13.1 oz

Composite stock can vary a lot in weight. Choose a non- adjustable carbon shell with standard fill and it's pretty light. Start adding adjustability to the stock and the pounds start to add up. Also, choosing the "sniper fill" can add a pound to the butt. With a chassis the weights are pretty much as published without much variance.

If it is to be carried more than fired, go light.

Ifit is to be fired more than carried, go heavy.

My A1 with day optic will be around 15 pounds. I’m ok with that because I’ll be firing it more than carrying it. Well, and also because an accurate build ends up there.

I have grandpa’s (1959) Winchester 94 in .30-30 with iron sights that’s nice and light if I want to go for a walk in the woods. I love that rifle.