• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock weight vs barrel profile (Manners)

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Picked up a new barreled action, 24" heavy palma in 6.5 creed on a tempest action. Pretty much my dream build but not sure about the stock choices.

I am only looking at Manners stocks with mini chassis and realize it will be a while till the stock is made but not sure how to spec it out.

My concern is I beleive the heavy palma is a fairly robust profile like an M24. Looking at the elite shell options vs the standard shells is the lighter weight stock worth it for this type of build? I would like it to be balanced and not feel front heavy.

Like many other things in this hobby its not like you can just go to a store and try it out so curious what others are using.

It's possible that it could be a little nose heavy but it wouldn't deter me from an ultralight stock. You can always add some weight into the buttstock later if you really needed to. Unless you're planning to shoot off-hand, what difference does the balance make? Any Manners stock will have plenty of rigidity in the forend to handle the barrel weight without flex. If you're trying to keep the overall weight down (my personal preference) get the ultralight stock and don't look back. Worst case scenario, hollow a little of the buttstock out and as a touch of weight to make it perfectly balanced. A well made custom stock, by the nature of its shape, CAN make a rifle "feel" more balanced than some factory stocks.

JM0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Had a few Manners and McM's all have been heavy fill. Yes I do plan to shoot in positions other than prone so balance would be nice.