• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock with higher cheekpiece/comb?

brianidaho

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2005
North Idaho (Sagle)
I recently built my first AR, set up as a long range target/varmint rifle. It's topped with a Nikon 6x24 Monarch for now. I'm having issues getting a good cheek weld with the A2 stock and am looking for options. The Magpul PRS is the obvious one, but I'm wondering what else is out there for a "precision" AR? Also, can a Karsten cheek rest go on an A2 stock? I figure missing the buffer might be a problem.

Also, I'd welcome any input on the PRS, good or bad. It's pricy, but might be the best tool for the job. OK, and to be honest, looks cool.

Thanks.

Re: Stock with higher cheekpiece/comb?

I've seen a add on cheek piece for the A2 style stocks...maybe google can help you (I'm on my phone or I would).

Other options include magpul CTR/MOE w cheek piece, mission first battle link w cheek piece, CAA offerings....that's all I can think of in addition to the PRS you mentioned

There are a host of options.

First, determine if you have the proper scope rings on the rifle to accommodate your optic. I see tons of people using ridiculously high rings that put their scopes in untenable positions when they don't need nearly as much height. If you have room/clearance to bring the scope down somewhat, then different rings may be the best route to take before you go off swapping stocks.

Second, if your rings are ok, then decide whether you want a "fixed" stock or if you might consider going to a collapsible unit.

If sticking with fixed, then:

1) Magpul PRS (arguably one of the best options, tons of adjustability/flexibility, but...weigh a ton compared to other options, are a little "bulky" at times, and are pricey compared to other options.);

2) Keep the A2 and use some form of cheek pad. There are multiple options in that vein, including the ultra-cheap DIY stuff (like an old mousepad that is 100MPH taped to the stock in whatever height/layers you need). Not the prettiest thing going, but highly functional as long as you move the material back far enough to permit proper operation of the charging handle. You can also find specific products for this purpose like those made by Kick-eez, Pachmayer, etc. There are also the more traditional "stock packs" like those from Triad, Eagle, etc., but again, you have to be cautious in using those as you have to get them back far enough on the stock to clear the CH. Finally, there are also products like the A2 "Delta" style cheekpieces, but I'd advise against that route. They are designed to get your cheekweld up high enough to use the basic A2 stock with optics mounted to a carry handle mount and because of that REALLY high comb it offers, it'll likely be TOO HIGH for your current setup.

If you want to go collapsible, here are a few options:

1) a Magpul CTR stock fitted with a Larue RISR (again...lightweight, lots of adjustment for length given the collapsible stock, etc.);

2) a SOPMOD with a Battleline Industries SAPR.

With the collapsible options, just remember to factor in the cost of the mounting hardware (new receiver extension, castle nut, endplate, buffer and spring...plus the tools for the job if you don't already have them). You can quickly get well over the cost of a PRS when factoring all that in.

Thanks for the input.

ORD, I'm running a set of low rings on the scope, the objective clears the float tube by 1/4 inch. I really don't like high-mounted optics. From one standpoint the rings are too low-the power adjusting ring was hitting the top of the mount, had to file down some of the picatinny to clear.

I agree with you on the "delta" cheek piece. I tried one on my A2 with the fixed handguard...never liked the setup. It put the scope way too high for comfortable shooting.

I'm coming around...I see quite a few negative comments about the PRS and am thinking that a "carbine style" collapsable might be the way to go. I have a long neck and tend to stock crawl, so some more length of pull would be nice as well.

In addition to the two stocks you mentioned, are you familiar with the Mabpul ACS? Any good or bad? Also, I know the mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes are different dia. Is there any advantage of one vs the other, or is one more common? PK Firearms has some kits with the ACS, buffer tube, buffer and spring...which is sort of a big deal given the shortage of flippin' buffer tubes these days.

That LaRue RISR looks like an interesting piece.

Let me throw out another rookie question. I have the rifle length gas system, and intend to mostly shoot 75-77 grains. Should I upgrade to the "heavy" buffer with a carbine buffer tube in this application?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brianidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm coming around...I see quite a few negative comments about the PRS and am thinking that a "carbine style" collapsable might be the way to go. I have a long neck and tend to stock crawl, so some more length of pull would be nice as well.

In addition to the two stocks you mentioned, are you familiar with the Mabpul ACS? Any good or bad? Also, I know the mil-spec and commercial buffer tubes are different dia. Is there any advantage of one vs the other, or is one more common? PK Firearms has some kits with the ACS, buffer tube, buffer and spring...which is sort of a big deal given the shortage of flippin' buffer tubes these days.

That LaRue RISR looks like an interesting piece.

Let me throw out another rookie question. I have the rifle length gas system, and intend to mostly shoot 75-77 grains. Should I upgrade to the "heavy" buffer with a carbine buffer tube in this application?

Thanks. </div></div>

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the PRS...especially for a "target" rifle. BUT...as previously noted, it is heavy and can be awkward at times. As for the longer LOP...you can extend the PRS out all the way, as well as add the Magpul extended buttplate (another 0.5") and it works well for even long-armed gorillas like me. To each their own on the particulars, but it is a damned nice stock despite the aforementioned shortcomings if you even want to call them that. Again, for a precision or target rifle, it doesn't get much better IMHO.

As for the Magpul ACS...they too are very nice stocks although admittedly I don't have any mounted on my own ARs at this time. I have used them and find them very comfortable and they offer a good cheek weld/ergos. HOWEVER...there is no ability with the ACS to gain additional comb height like with the other collapsible stocks I mentioned which defeats your purposes for switching stocks.

As to mil-spec vs. commercial buffer tubes/receiver extensions...pick one, but just know which you select and be sure if swapping stock bodies in the future that you purchase the proper spec stock to match your receiver extension.

Finally, as for the heavy buffer, I run them in almost all of my ARs at this point regardless of gas system, stock type, etc., as they get shot suppressed at times and the heavy buffer is almost a necessity. There are also a wide array of "heavier" buffers, including some that go up to roughly 8oz in weight (standard CAR buffer weighs 3oz). With your setup, the heavier buffer will likely smooth things out a little and reduce perceived recoil somewhat. Depending on how over- or under-gassed your rifle is, and how heavy you decide to go with your buffer, it is possible that you may see some reliability issues, but unlikely.

I used the A-2 stock on my MWS with a piece of mousepad, shooting a 50mm objective. Lined right up. Your mileage (or cheekbone) may differ.