• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stock with shortest fore end

Josh-L

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2005
Red Dirt, OK USA
Looking at building another Rem 700 in 308 and cutting the barrel down to 16 inches but my 18 inch one was really close to my B&C light tac stock. Is there a stock out there that is shorter?

Re: Stock with shortest fore end

Here's a 22" barrel in a Remington LTR stock:

IMG_0999.jpg

Isn't 16.5" the minimum legal length for a rifle barrel?

I think its 16. Most people do 16.5 incase they want to set it back or recrown and still remain legal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't 16.5" the minimum legal length for a rifle barrel?</div></div>

16 inch barrel is the absolute lowest, probably leave .5 just to be on the safe side so you don't run into the "well I measured from here and it was under so here's your ticket and court date"

Rifle with a barrel under 16 inches or a rifle with an overall size of less than 26 inches is the Title II line I think

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/identification-of-nfa-firearms.html#short-barreled-rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a 22" barrel in a Remington LTR stock:

IMG_0999.jpg

Isn't 16.5" the minimum legal length for a rifle barrel? </div></div>

Hmmmm. That looks like its pretty short and will work. Thanks!

And yeah it will prob be 16.5 just to be safe I just got lazy and didnt type it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh-L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
fw707 said:
Hmmmm. That looks like its pretty short and will work. Thanks!

And yeah it will prob be 16.5 just to be safe I just got lazy and didnt type it. </div></div>

I wasn't sure, just asking.
I think the LTR would work great with your barrel.

Stockys generally have the M24 tactical in stock. PST086 is what Remington has on the LTR, comes in 3 diff colors. Hope this helps.