Stocks! Anyone investing right now?

PusherX11

PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
Firestone, CO
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about investing in some stocks since they are really low right now. Honestly I do not know where to start or which ones to buy. Is anybody here buying right now? What should I be looking for? Any certain industries right now? Thanks in advanced!

candyx

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2014
RCL was trading at 135.00 prior to Kung Flu, trading in the twenties now but once Kung Flu is handled people will still take cruises.

Rocketvapor

Major Hide Member
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    South East Louisiana
    If you can pace yourself, a good mathematical strategy would be to buy small portions of a stock that will still be viable after this ON THE WAY DOWN, Selling ON THE WAY UP.

Watch out for the dreaded "W" code.

Reactions: NovaHunter

Nik H

Constantly Learning
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    You know what they say...you only lose when you sell otherwise it is only paper losses. My company's stock is hugely down so my RSUs are worth a lot less BUT it is only for a bit.

Just hang in

Reactions: Dewey7271

Vodoun daVinci

Pretty Much Bat Shit Crazy.
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 17, 2017
    I'm holding roughly $250K for when this is over and then I'm back into buying the same mutual funds....been real hot on Vanguard funds. Made 20.9% last year which is, of course, long gone and then some but it'll be back. I don't sell shit when it hits the fan. I buy when the panic is done.

VooDoo

samb300

Accuracy Obsession, Anarchy Outdoors
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Look up Bogleheads 3-fund approach. It’s the easy button for real long term growth through the ups and downs. 60/40 stocks to bonds, or more stocks if you’re young or more risk tolerant

Vangaurd:
    - Total market index
    - International index
    - Bond market

If you’re just looking to gamble and try to time the bottom during the Covid panic, what I learned from 2008/9 is that you could literally close your eyes and pick basically anything. But picking any one individual stock exposes you to the increased risk of it not doing what you expect. Either continuing to go down when the market has recovered, or not going up as much as whatever X, Y, or Z company that is raging.

charnicus

Padawan
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 29, 2018
    Leftist Coast, U.S.A.
    Look up Bogleheads 3-fund approach. It’s the easy button for real long term growth through the ups and downs. 60/40 stocks to bonds, or more stocks if you’re young or more risk tolerant

Vangaurd:
    - Total market index
    - International index
    - Bond market

If you’re just looking to gamble and try to time the bottom during the Covid panic, what I learned from 2008/9 is that you could literally close your eyes and pick basically anything. But picking any one individual stock exposes you to the increased risk of it not doing what you expect. Either continuing to go down when the market has recovered, or not going up as much as whatever X, Y, or Z company that is raging.

+1 on this. Vanguard knows if I don’t make money, they don’t make money. Everybody wins but there’s always going to be some ups and downs. I also feel this is a great option for someone who doesn’t have a lot to lose or someone who is flat out intimidated by self managing every piece.

Reactions: fmillik

candyx

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 6, 2014
    If you have extra money to invest send it on over, I use to work with Bernie Madoff and we always had high yield returns for our clients with minimum risk sort of speak........

Rick7353

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 9, 2017
    I’ve been thinking a lot lately about investing in some stocks since they are really low right now. Honestly I do not know where to start or which ones to buy. Is anybody here buying right now? What should I be looking for? Any certain industries right now? Thanks in advanced!
    Yes! I have been putting together an order list of stocks to buy, BUT remember the advice of the world's best investor Warren Buffett. He says to buy the index. This would be the DIA (Dow ), SPY (S&P 500), NASDEQ WHICH you can buy QQQ, XLK,FDN, PNQI. Today and yesterday were up but as the covid-19 gets worse who knows. I can assure you even if you bought now you may nowt buy at the bottom but you will be glad in 2 years. I have been trading for many years and I suggest calling TD Ameritrade or Charles Schwab and they atndsre now to fee btokers. You can open an account and set up watch lists.

Reactions: Walter Haas

blbennett1288

Waymaker
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2017
    Hoover, Alabama
    i work for a big oil company. ive lost over 200K since Jan. Im still buying oil stocks, the world runs on diesel. im sure I'll recover my losses within 2yrs and then some. Cheap fuel now, but we will pay for it later, trust me.

My experience mirrors yours in losses. I am down north of 100k since late January.

I however am steering clear of investing in O&G, just index funds and diversified target date funds.

Mr.BR

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 5, 2017
    Unless you are privy to some fancy insider info like your elected lawmakers you might just as well put some cash in a bin an light it on fire , stock you buy today will continue to plumet in value and we might find it takes decades to recover ,the valuation today is still way too high and the pain has not even started , wait for TSLA to go tits up and Goverment 'nationalising' industries its bailing out.,
    Last time it took 25years to get back to levels pre great depresion. This is not like 1987 where crash was limited more or less to stock markets and banks this crisis hit main street.

sharpest market selloff in history even with FED firing some 4.5 trillion into the market , still needs fall by a whole lot.

Last edited:

kenny1773

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 7, 2019
    I gave up day trading a long long time ago, in the end, after taxes, I came out ahead, but not much.
    IT was a lot of work, a lot of risk, and just pain stupid

Since then I have been a warren buffet type, buy and hold reputable stuff, that has worked out much much better

BUT, seeing the 20% plus and minus in good value stocks happen all this week has me thinking I should start day trading again
    lol
    I could have doubled my money this week

If I only had the stomach for it at my current age :(

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2001
    AZ
    The trouble with day trading was that the only ones who actually made money were the securities firms, who ate up your profits with their fees.

The only real way to make money at securities is the old fashioned way; buy cheap, be patient, and sell dear.

Not only does day trading often end in a break-even best performance; it also screws with the underlying market itself.

Probably the only good part of a market plunge is the washout that occurs when the play-traders bail for good.

Greg

Reactions: StealthOwl

Codiekfx400

Major Hide Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 29, 2018
    I have my eye on Bayer and Coors beer. It is more less gambling imo. Southwest Airlines and Boeing are interesting .

FS1

Unbalanced
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2014
    Earth
    Be strong, go long. Boeing is risky but the upside is wow. It hit $90 the other day.

E. Bryant

STABILITRAK ACTIVE
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2010
    MI
    Be strong, go long. Boeing is risky but the upside is wow. It hit $90 the other day.

"Boeing is risky" is the understatement of the year. They were in trouble even before this shit threatened to bankrupt their customers.

Reactions: Bender

goosed

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 11, 2014
    MN
    Individual stocks is a little more challenging, but for index investing at this point my opinion is the smart play is to wait and watch the virus numbers. Once we hit the down slope of the infection curve prices will bottom out 2-8 weeks after that and continue to climb upwards. Been proven many times already.

Trouble now is simply knowing which peak is the last big peak.

kenny1773

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 7, 2019
    I wish I was smarter with the market, I have done well over the years, but man I missed a boatload too that were no brainers

I worked for a guy that had an options strategy, he could make crazy money if the market moved up or down and he predicted it roughly correct.

I am sure he is making a killing now (I am sure he predicted the fall and optioned himself accordingly) I never quite understood what he was doing so I didn't dive in.

Any day trading I did in the past was flat out gambling, I am not going to lie about it, I got lucky, I had huge fucking balls when I was in my late 20's not so much anymore.

stello1001

Professional Newb
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2017
    Corpus Christi TX
    This is somewhat interesting. I don't mean to hijack but will ask a question that I feels relates to the OP.

How or where/which type of trading account can one open up and can this be done solo without a financial advisor?

I don't have extra cash to be just wasting or spending on useless shit. However, for investment purposes that could make me better off, financially, in 5, 10, or 20 years, I wouldn't mind.

jeepn412

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 27, 2019
    Pittsburgh, pa
    This is somewhat interesting. I don't mean to hijack but will ask a question that I feels relates to the OP.

How or where/which type of trading account can one open up and can this be done solo without a financial advisor?

I don't have extra cash to be just wasting or spending on useless shit. However, for investment purposes that could make me better off, financially, in 5, 10, or 20 years, I wouldn't mind.
    I like charles schwab. Stock trades are free and the site is easy to navigate.

PusherX11

PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 17, 2017
    Firestone, CO
    Thank you everybody for all the replies! This is exactly the information I was searching for. I’m looking into the Vanguard and will give chuck a call. It appears chuck is acquiring TD. I’m not looking to gamble for a quick return, Im going to open an account and “forget the password” for a while. Again thank all you guys for the information!!!

culater

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 18, 2012
    I would stay out of the market all together. It's going much much much lower.

I like him

Reactions: Mr.BR

Mr.BR

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 5, 2017
    I would stay out of the market all together. It's going much much much lower.
    Indeed ,it generaly needs to drop further 20% to get to roughly realistical valuations more in line with company earnings call levels and that was before shit hit the fan. Then prepare for further drop due to shit hitting the fan.

Feeling lucky go buy Boeing ! It will likely end up ither going full chapter 11 or more likely be nationalised on some national security grounds .

Sure Boeing will be around for forseable future ,that just doest mean that your investment will.. With ither chapter 11 or the nationalisation-bailout your stock will be erased.

For now stay off the market all together ,if you are realy desperate go sit by the fire place and burn some cash Or invest into one of them cruise ship operators ? ? ?

Last edited:
    Reactions: acudaowner

E. Bryant

STABILITRAK ACTIVE
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2010
    MI
    I think they will be around for awhile.

I agree. But keep in mind that "be(ing) around for a while" may very well include a Chapter 11 filing or at least some further solution through share re-issue (as should be the case for any company that needs to beg for a government handout).

FS1

Unbalanced
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2014
    Earth
    I agree. But keep in mind that "be(ing) around for a while" may very well include a Chapter 11 filing or at least some further solution through share re-issue (as should be the case for any company that needs to beg for a government handout).
    Risk is risky. BA is a strategic aerospace asset, it won’t fall easy. But it could.

ajv35XX

Random User
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    I shoulda bought into 3M right before this all started. I’m still thinking of investing somehow

Bigfatcock

Major Hide Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 12, 2019
    Right now I’m buying into solid companies, with long histories, that are close to 2008-2009 levels, and have dividends. I’m NOT buying into any companies that received a bail out in the 2008-2009 era.

I’m buying long and I’m day trading. I’m not doing any shorts, puts, or margins.

Playing it safe as the market could still go down a good bit.

As I’ve said many times, I’m using throw away money. However, I’ve been doin this since 2004. I’m not a pro, and I didn’t sleep at a holiday inn last night.

ETA: Taxes are higher on short term.

Reactions: Two Mikes

rundm

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 10, 2005
    TX
    Index funds are the safest way to go for the long haul. At some point they will go back up but it could take some time. Getting into diff stocks right now is a crap shoot. I do not think the market is at the bottom yet and you will nvr time the very low and very peak of it anyways. You could always try some of the flyers out there if you have a couple of bucks to throw away but the upside is really, really good. Gold is down and the stocks that follow gold are way, way down. A couple of dollars there and you could turn it quick but there are always downsides to trading like that. If you have the stomach for it, jnug and jdst.