Stocks! Anyone investing right now?

vinniedelpino

Guns and Butter
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2020
Charlotte NC
Just stop. You’re talking out of your ass. Anybody that CAN’T get 10% a year needs to fire their broker or stop following stock twits on fucking Reddit. You can literally invest $50 a week in any ETF that mimicked the S&P and get well over 10% return on your money. Quit trying to look smart.
10% per year over what period? What percentage of financial planners beat the S&P over time? My guess is half, maybe less after accounting for their fees. If the S&P is averaging around 7% over the last 50 years, that means the overwhelming majority of FA's aren't hitting 10% consistently over a lifetime.

If you can guarantee me 10% ROI indefinitely show me where to sign.

thestoicmarcusaurelius

The Real Tiger King
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2020
Alabama Slammer
Angry, who’s angry?
Don’t mistake pointing out dumb shit for anger.
Where did you mistakenly assume all investors are 100 % stock market investors ?
Study up on fixed income and asset allocation, you know, after sword sharpening and gladiator net weaving classes are over.
The thread title is: “Stocks! Anyone investing right now?”

Not bonds and asset allocation.

Nice troll job though.

You don’t point out dumb shit. You spread dumb shit. You gave a clearly wrong definition of naked shorting earlier. You made a clearly factually incorrect statement that no credible funds own over a .01% stake in GameStop when they clearly do then tried to move the goal posts to say the funds position in GameStop was not over .01% of the funds total holdings.

you’re spreading the bs and you don’t contribute anything other than recommending s&p index for everyone in all circumstances

Tim7139

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2020
Are’nt you taking away from valuable time figuring out how to lose $ with new and innovative ways on Reddit?

thestoicmarcusaurelius

The Real Tiger King
PX Member
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2020
Alabama Slammer
Are’nt you taking away from valuable time figuring out how to lose $ with new and innovative ways on Reddit?

aren’t you taking away time from making empty promises to investors and charging higher fees and transaction costs than they would have buying an s&p index on their own but then once you’ve collected your fees, recommending they buy an s&p index anyway?

hollowoutadime

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
10% per year over what period? What percentage of financial planners beat the S&P over time? My guess is half, maybe less after accounting for their fees. If the S&P is averaging around 7% over the last 50 years, that means the overwhelming majority of FA's aren't hitting 10% consistently over a lifetime.

If you can guarantee me 10% ROI indefinitely show me where to sign.
Been probably 60-70% of portfolio invested in the S&P since ~2005 give or take. The index value doesn't include dividends which might be another 1.5% Prior to that I picked stocks, easy when the market is moving upwards, but the S&P tends to beat that in the long run. Sold my TSLA friday, moved that into the S&P. TSLA moved well from Dec-Jan -then stalled.

rocketscience

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2013
KY
Sorry to interrupt the dick measuring contest, but say a fairly young guy had $40,000 to invest and doesn’t know jack squat about the market, but would like to learn. He also already has a considerable amount in multiple retirement funds. He doesn’t have fuck you money, but him and his spouse both have good stable jobs and only debt is a house payment and they currently have ~65000 in equity on the house. Now this person isn’t going to take advice received here and invest all Willy nilly, but will take all advice given and research it to the point of possibly ending up in the hospital from sleep deprivation. I will except a Fuck off as advise also. Anyway please teach this young idiot the way of the trader.

Waorani

Comfortably Numb
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Greenbow, AL
Sorry to interrupt the dick measuring contest, but say a fairly young guy had $40,000 to invest and doesn’t know jack squat about the market, but would like to learn. He also already has a considerable amount in multiple retirement funds. He doesn’t have fuck you money, but him and his spouse both have good stable jobs and only debt is a house payment and they currently have ~65000 in equity on the house. Now this person isn’t going to take advice received here and invest all Willy nilly, but will take all advice given and research it to the point of possibly ending up in the hospital from sleep deprivation. I will except a Fuck off as advise also. Anyway please teach this young idiot the way of the trader.
When I finally had enough saved to start investing I read a lot (not internet crap). A recurring theme was that most folks that you pay to invest your money don't beat the market, particularly when you factor in fees (front-end loads, annual fees, back-end loads, etc). It was a no brainer for me - S&P 500 index fund (e.g., Vanguard Index 500). That was 20+ yrs ago and it's worked for me. I seriously doubt you get quality investment management unless you're well into the 7 figures so save yourself some $$ and skip the trip down to your local Edward Jones, etc.

rocketscience

Private
PX Member
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2013
KY
When I finally had enough saved to start investing I read a lot (not internet crap). A recurring theme was that most folks that you pay to invest your money don't beat the market, particularly when you factor in fees (front-end loads, annual fees, back-end loads, etc). It was a no brainer for me - S&P 500 index fund (e.g., Vanguard Index 500). That was 20+ yrs ago and it's worked for me. I seriously doubt you get quality investment management unless you're well into the 7 figures so save yourself some $$ and skip the trip down to your local Edward Jones, etc.
Yes, I would like to avoid an investment firm and try to learn and invest myself. Possibly using Robin Hood or some other investing program. There is just so much information out there that I’m going to assume 98% is BS or the information is skewed in a way to promote a false narrative. I’m really trying to get solid information to get me started in the right direction and then I’ll do the rest of the work with research. I appreciate the response and I’ll look into index funds.

Reactions: vinniedelpino

hollowoutadime

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
Rocket -
Where you go depends on a lot of factors - like having a safety net first in case one loses a job or sudden medical expenses, etc. Beyond that, I want to beat inflation and get ahead. You can buy individual stocks, but you'll need to follow them closely. I'd start with the S&P (broader market index), by buying stock symbol SPY. It's around $390/share.

That said,here's a 30 day and 5 yr chart. Notice over the long haul, it's almost doubled. Man, if could keep doing that. But over 30 days, looks a bit volatile. Imagine placing yourself at any point on the 30 day chart, and wondering what comes tomorrow?

30 day chart:
1Month.png
5 year chart:
5yr.png

Individual stocks swing more, that can be good or bad.

Most stock pickers and funds don't beat the S&P. I recently took over my fathers managed VanGuard and Merrill-Lynch (6-7-figure accounts) and was annoyed at the strategies and returns - people assume that managers do a good job - not always the case.

Certain industries I expect to perform sub-par (look at commercial retail space, or office buildings), some oil and gas, etc. I do know that people will buy APPL phones and use AMZN more and more - but then you have to consider P/E ratios.

I expect gov't spending to continue unabated, and I think that will continue to drive the S&P.

Put a small amount into the S&P, it'll make you want to follow the market - that's worth more than any change sticking your toe into the water.

vinniedelpino

Guns and Butter
PX Member
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2020
Charlotte NC
This guy gets it.

Matthew Mcconaughey pretty much laid it out in The Wolf Of Wallstreet fugazi/fairy dust speech.

CrabsandFootball

Major Hide Member
PX Member
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Just stop. You’re talking out of your ass. Anybody that CAN’T get 10% a year needs to fire their broker or stop following stock twits on fucking Reddit. You can literally invest $50 a week in any ETF that mimicked the S&P and get well over 10% return on your money. Quit trying to look smart.
Not quite sport.

Look at historical returns. If people could get 10% return every year with mininal risk everyone would do it.

Higher rewards = higher risk.

When the market collapses again like 2008 what you going to do? What hapoens wheb S&P dropa 40%?

The smartest peoole in the world with the best tech known to man struggle to get 10%
ROI yesr after year.

KeithR41

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    DIVERSIFY with QUALITY COMPANIES for the LONG TERM. Based on you being a young guy you could be in the 80/20 equity to income ratio range but research Risk tolerance / time horizon before making a decision.

Mwalex

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2011
    I would suggest starting with the Fidelity website and going through their learning seminars and pages. It won't cost you anything and they are worth the time. I would also suggest learning about ETF's and compare the differences with stocks and mutual funds.

I would question how this persons retirement funds are selected, if he or she does not know anything about the market.

Reactions: Lightning8

rocketscience

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 1, 2013
    KY
    I would suggest starting with the Fidelity website and going through their learning seminars and pages. It won't cost you anything and they are worth the time. I would also suggest learning about ETF's and compare the differences with stocks and mutual funds.

I would question how this persons retirement funds are selected, if he or she does not know anything about the market.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I have an account with Fidelity and will start looking into the learning seminars. The way I made my decision about the retirement funds was simple (albeit probably not the smartest). All the financial advisors I met with when setting up the retirement funds had the same spiel about being young and taking risk. So I choose the option laid out with the highest risk to reward, with the plan to adjust risk as I got closer to retirement. Now I didn’t do any research at the time, and just took it that the Financial advisor had my best interest in mind. So far the growth has been good, but probably could have been better. I am still dumping money into retirement and now have some extra money and time to play in the market and learn.

rocketscience

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 1, 2013
    KY
    DIVERSIFY with QUALITY COMPANIES for the LONG TERM. Based on you being a young guy you could be in the 80/20 equity to income ratio range but research Risk tolerance / time horizon before making a decision.
    Thank you very much. I will start looking into risk tolerance / time horizon.

rocketscience

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 1, 2013
    KY
    Rocket -
    Where you go depends on a lot of factors - like having a safety net first in case one loses a job or sudden medical expenses, etc. Beyond that, I want to beat inflation and get ahead. You can buy individual stocks, but you'll need to follow them closely. I'd start with the S&P (broader market index), by buying stock symbol SPY. It's around $390/share.

That said,here's a 30 day and 5 yr chart. Notice over the long haul, it's almost doubled. Man, if could keep doing that. But over 30 days, looks a bit volatile. Imagine placing yourself at any point on the 30 day chart, and wondering what comes tomorrow?

30 day chart:
    View attachment 7551416
    5 year chart:
    View attachment 7551417

Individual stocks swing more, that can be good or bad.

Most stock pickers and funds don't beat the S&P. I recently took over my fathers managed VanGuard and Merrill-Lynch (6-7-figure accounts) and was annoyed at the strategies and returns - people assume that managers do a good job - not always the case.

Certain industries I expect to perform sub-par (look at commercial retail space, or office buildings), some oil and gas, etc. I do know that people will buy APPL phones and use AMZN more and more - but then you have to consider P/E ratios.

I expect gov't spending to continue unabated, and I think that will continue to drive the S&P.

Put a small amount into the S&P, it'll make you want to follow the market - that's worth more than any change sticking your toe into the water.
    Thank you for taking the time to put this all together. I will look into putting a small amount into the S&P.

Mwalex

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions. I have an account with Fidelity and will start looking into the learning seminars. The way I made my decision about the retirement funds was simple (albeit probably not the smartest). All the financial advisors I met with when setting up the retirement funds had the same spiel about being young and taking risk. So I choose the option laid out with the highest risk to reward, with the plan to adjust risk as I got closer to retirement. Now I didn’t do any research at the time, and just took it that the Financial advisor had my best interest in mind. So far the growth has been good, but probably could have been better. I am still dumping money into retirement and now have some extra money and time to play in the market and learn.
    I have never trusted a FA and have done my own investing, that way if it goes bad it is my fault. The more you know the better you can control your money and maximize returns. Once you get comfortable with investing, whatever that might look like, always trust your system. It will take time to learn how to deal with market fluctuations, especially corrections, but you will get there.

Reactions: rocketscience

Darkside-Six

My Dixie Wrecked
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2013

Being that you already have retirement accounts what is your over all end goal. You looking to make short term money (day trading) or is this a separate investing account to make a little play money, or create a potential revenue stream?

rocketscience

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 1, 2013
    KY
    Being that you already have retirement accounts what is your over all end goal. You looking to make short term money (day trading) or is this a separate investing account to make a little play money, or create a potential revenue
    I’m thinking about taking 10k and putting it into a longer term investments possibly index fund (once I do more research), and take the rest and make short term investments to make some play money while I’m trying to learn.

Reactions: Darkside-Six

XTREM HTR16

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2011
    Carmel, IN
    My thought:

Vanguard index ETFs or mutual funds plus some stocks of great companies.

I’m 55 and have all of my 401k in 3 Vanguard index (small, medium and S&P 500) and 2 T Rowe Price mutual funds. Not gonna touch them until I’m 70.
    Opened up vanguard brokerage account last March and minor accounts for my boys. All stocks there - Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Berkshire B, UAL, Boeing, Lilly (we’re from Indy). Long term investment, keep buying every month.
    If we hit another pandemic I won’t hesitate to pull it all out and put it in fixed. But won’t hesitate to buy back in at an attractive price.

Reactions: rocketscience

bigdaddydmd

Tooth Shucker
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 30, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks to all that answered his questions. I am in the same boat as Rocketscience. In addition my 18 yo daughter is asking how to invest in stocks and I don't have the knowledge set to answer well. Previously I just relied on financial investors for my own portfolios and played the long retirement investment game. I am learning and educating myself now to help guide her. I am looking at TD Ameritrade because they have a virtual trainer that she can play with fake money and get a feel for it before she invests her small savings/mad money fund for real. They have some decent education links for noobs like her and I, but I am open to hearing anywhere else a person can start their education and learn. Most of what is bantered about here is like a foreign language to me and I find myself going to the investopedia to look up acronyms and terms quite a bit. It actually feels like starting precision rifle shooting. You don't know what you don't know and it can be overwhelming while guys that have been doing it for a long time make it look so damn easy.

Mwalex

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jun 8, 2011
    One suggestion I will offer up is do NOT invest in anything suggested on a web board without doing research and figuring out what kind of investor you are. You must set expectations for returns and how much risk can be tolerated. One man’s treasure is another man’s trash.

Bourbon_and_Bullets

Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself.
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2019
    Dogecoin. You’re welcome. 😉

Bourbon_and_Bullets

Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself.
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2019
    In all reality, just open a vanguard acct a d invest in ETF’s and Mutual funds. Vasgx has made me a killing and is a target 2050/2055 acct that capitalizes on risk in the short term and tapers off later. It is a fun money acct and everything else is in 401k’s, roth ira’s, etc...

rocketscience

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 1, 2013
    KY
    Haha. My brother has been trying to get me to sink some money into Dogecoin since he has invested some into it. I am just skeptical of all cryptocurrency. If/when bitcoin crashes again I may buy some. I find it hard to believe all the predictions about 1 Bitcoin being worth a $1,000,000 in 10 years, but I am no expert.

rocketscience

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 1, 2013
    KY
    In all reality, just open a vanguard acct a d invest in ETF’s and Mutual funds. Vasgx has made me a killing and is a target 2050/2055 acct that capitalizes on risk in the short term and tapers off later. It is a fun money acct and everything else is in 401k’s, roth ira’s, etc...
    Thanks for the advice. I’ll check into VASGX

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    I’m thinking about taking 10k and putting it into a longer term investments possibly index fund (once I do more research), and take the rest and make short term investments to make some play money while I’m trying to learn.
    Little different, but is sort of how I moved away from paying an FA to doing it on my own....dipped toe in b/c cutting loose. After the dot.com bust I began self-directing a small portion of my income to see if I could beat my FA. In year one I beat him by ~ 2% after backing out fees/expenses and put him on notice he was being watched....he didn't even care b/c he knew he was going to lose me at that point I kept him on for a few more years as a safety net. Dividend/dividend growth mixture with DRIPs and occasional sector rebalancing is my approach and it's merely one way to invest. Most of these FAs are dying a slow death b/c as the rear view mirror shows their crys of 'I can do better when volatility strikes' it simply doesn't work out that way. 92% of large cap actively managed funds failed to beat simple indexing over the last 15 years. And it's almost identical for large/small/mid cap as well for 10 years it's ~ 85% failing to beat benchmark. The more time goes by the worse they do. Best of luck in your career....read lots there is so much out there. One free source you may want to check out as you expand your reading menu is called Seeking Alpha they have tons of free and also pay wall subscriptions.....every type of investment philosophy covered. I think I fixed my typos sorry not enough coffee on board yet.

Last edited:

texag0842

Texas
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 12, 2013
    Texas
    I'm a Commodities Trader for a living. If you're willing to put in the effort there's a ridiculous amount of money to be made.

We quit trading physical cargos back in 2013 when two of my colleagues left to go trade for Vitol.

Having said that I usually just direct people to the S&P. It's easy and consistent.

Reactions: RGStory

RGStory

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 31, 2020
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Cool story bro. Up until October of 2019 I was a senior regional account manager for TD Ameritrade until I quit to trade on my own full time.
    I just made $40K today. What the fuck did you do?

But yeah........I don’t know what I’m talking about. 🤷‍♂️

Good Day. Unless you are working with 10 million...
    Joking aside, what was the percentage of gain?

rocketscience

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 1, 2013
    KY
    I'm a Commodities Trader for a living. If you're willing to put in the effort there's a ridiculous amount of money to be made.

We quit trading physical cargos back in 2013 when two of my colleagues left to go trade for Vitol.

Having said that I usually just direct people to the S&P. It's easy and consistent.
    I’ll look into this. Is there a specific type of commodity you focus on, or do you dabble in anything and everything you can make money on? I’ve got no problem putting in the work, and I like to learn new things. I just feel like a fish out of water on this stuff. I am an engineer with some resemblance of intelligence, but this shit drives me crazy. I feel like a toddler sitting on the floor chewing on a wood block listening to the adults talk.

fmillik

Northwoods
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 12, 2020
    Rhinelander, WI
    I have been at this for 5 short months. I have a win rate of approximately 68% ( I use tradervue to track). I don't manage risk well and take way bigger loses than I should. Currently I am down 25% on just 3 losing trades in one account. It is all about risk management and finding the right stocks. And if nothing else don't ever average down on a losing trades because the times it does not work will wipe out the gains from the times it did work. I had 6 winning trades today and 1 loser. The loser was only 1/2 of the smallest winning trade. I am slowly learning. In short papertrade until you are consistently profitable and don't blindly follow anyone.
    I invest in Vanguard index funds. While doing nothing, I had a 22% return over the last 12 months.

Picking stocks as a lay person is more akin to gambling than investing.

Darkside-Six

My Dixie Wrecked
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2013
    Good Day. Unless you are working with 10 million...
    Joking aside, what was the percentage of gain?

I day trade. Don’t focus on percentage. Just money. That being said, was the best day of 2021 so far.

I trade with a $150K account.

Reactions: RGStory

Icallem

Football Ref
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2011
    N. Central MO
    Been watching this and noticed it had fallen several pages. Lets get it back to the top and give me more ideas to either lose or gain money on.

Thanks

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Been watching this and noticed it had fallen several pages. Lets get it back to the top and give me more ideas to either lose or gain money on.

Thanks
    Pfft haven't you heard? The petro-dollar is doomed, every pull back is the start of the next Bear market and the only safe investment is bullets and canned goods. Massive inflation and collapse of the US Dollar as the world's reserve currency in 3....2....1..... Bury all your cash in the back yard!

Reactions: TrevK

Tim7139

Banhammer
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Jul 3, 2020
    I’ll look into this. Is there a specific type of commodity you focus on, or do you dabble in anything and everything you can make money on? I’ve got no problem putting in the work, and I like to learn new things. I just feel like a fish out of water on this stuff. I am an engineer with some resemblance of intelligence, but this shit drives me crazy. I feel like a toddler sitting on the floor chewing on a wood block listening to the adults talk.
    You also better be prepared to deposit several hundred thousand $, show a 7 figure net worth and fill out plenty of financial disclosure forms. Also helps to have a use for 20 rail cars full of corn if you screw up and they deliver it.
    Have fun.

Hobo Hilton

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2011
    Pacific Northwest

Thanks
    I've been looking at some long term charts / consumer info this week... Consumer demand for these two has steadily risen for years... Long term investments.

1) processed food
    2) entertainment

Hobo
    1613665644262.png

Last edited:

earthquake

Trained Observer
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    Sand Point, AK
    I'm in the same boast as @rocketscience
    When you guys say you "look" at stuff or "research" stuff....are you just reading Forbes? Where do I go to look and research myself? The internet is a vast wilderness, and I'm without a compass.

I have all my regular work retirement stuff going for me, but recently started looking at stocks with some extra funny money to see what it does, as a hobby of sorts. Just to learn and maybe make some short-term or who knows, longer term extra income. Do you just say, "I wanna invest in ABC"....start Googling ABC companies, find one you like, find their ticker and buy?

Hobo Hilton

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm in the same boast as @rocketscience
    When you guys say you "look" at stuff or "research" stuff....are you just reading Forbes? Where do I go to look and research myself? The internet is a vast wilderness, and I'm without a compass.

I have all my regular work retirement stuff going for me, but recently started looking at stocks with some extra funny money to see what it does, as a hobby of sorts. Just to learn and maybe make some short-term or who knows, longer term extra income. Do you just say, "I wanna invest in ABC"....start Googling ABC companies, find one you like, find their ticker and buy?
    Slow down........... Propaganda abounds on the Internet and the Markets.... Some propaganda even here on this board.
    Start out looking at what you and your family "consume"... Why do you consume the commodities you buy ? What things that your family consumes could you do without ? What are the things that your family MUST have ? The only 100% true research is what you find when you look around yourself. What does your business consume ?

Something that has not been offered in this string of topics is 'Who is a TRADER?".... "Who is an INVESTOR?"......... You will get opposing opinions from those two camps....

A few things to ponder - Food, Clothing, Shelter. Nothing glamorous in this group, however, things that are a must for survival.

Invest in what you consume....

Currently I am a small, long term investor. I day traded back in the 1990's..... A priceless experience where after several months of trading I broke even and walked away from trading..

Hobo

Reactions: earthquake