Stocks! Anyone investing right now?

TrevK

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2020
Texas
Pfft haven't you heard? The petro-dollar is doomed, every pull back is the start of the next Bear market and the only safe investment is bullets and canned goods. Massive inflation and collapse of the US Dollar as the world's reserve currency in 3....2....1..... Bury all your cash in the back yard!
Even better, come bury it in my backyard for safekeeping!

RGStory

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2020
Oklahoma City, OK
When you guys say you "look" at stuff or "research" stuff....are you just reading Forbes? Where do I go to look and research myself? The internet is a vast wilderness, and I'm without a compass.

What are you looking to accomplish with your investments? Are you playing? Investing your retirement? Gambling? Saving for a specific objective with a given timeframe?
For each of these objectives you apply different investment strategies.

Whatever you do, I recommend that you invest in what you know. Everything else is gambling. You can invest in just about any market. Keep focused on one specific objective. Work towards becoming the expert at that market. I agree with Hobo Hilton's advice. Everyone is knowledgeable (or should be) in what they consume on a daily basis. If you work in a specific industry, you might start researching the publicly traded companies in that industry. Its easier to spot the bullshit and opportunities in what you know.

Icallem

Football Ref
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
I understand the buying of stock hoping it will increase in value, but I bought some Exxon, it had gone up a good bit and told somebody I thought I would sell it. I was told that I should keep it because it pays a good dividend. Something in the 6-8% range I think.
Does anybody know if this is per year, or per quarter (I don't)?

All I have ever messed with is retirement stuff (you take money out of my check and I hope you do well with it), this is my first single stock I have bought. I am dumber than a box of rocks about this stuff.

Thanks

Icallem

Football Ref
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
6% Annual
Thanks.

If it is going to pay 6% per year I think I should keep it. I'm sure some things do better, but also sure some things do worse.

It is up about $20.00 from where I bought it, should I put something in place to have it sell me out if it starts down?

RGStory

Sergeant of the Hide
PX Member
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2020
Oklahoma City, OK
Thanks.

If it is going to pay 6% per year I think I should keep it. I'm sure some things do better, but also sure some things do worse.

It is up about $20.00 from where I bought it, should I put something in place to have it sell me out if it starts down?

You need to look up trailing stop. A simple search engine search will provide the information you need. If you purchased XOM at $32 per share you are up close to 60% since November. That is an amazing return over 4 months. You will certainly want to lock in your gains.

Icallem

Football Ref
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
You need to look up trailing stop. A simple search engine search will provide the information you need. If you purchased XOM at $32 per share you are up close to 60% since November. That is an amazing return over 4 months. You will certainly want to lock in your gains.

Thanks for the info.

I went into the brokers office that day and told him I wanted to buy 1000 shares of Ford. It was in the $4,00 range. My fault, but I let him talk me out of it and into Exxon. Could not buy near as many shares ( it was $31.50) but did it anyway. It has been good, but still burns me when I check the price of Ford.

I have moved everything to a new broker and am not doing business with him anymore.

I would like to buy one more single stock, but unsure what I want.

Thanks again for the info, I shall go forth and..........................................................

Reactions: wh20crazy

Icallem

Football Ref
PX Member
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2011
N. Central MO
When was this? I originally assumed November, but based on your statement I am curious if this was in March.
I think it was about March. It was when Covid started and the market took a dump.

I'm just playing, I will not put any retirement stuff at risk.

KeithR41

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 20, 2009
    Oregon
    Talk to a CPA before selling. Short term capital gains tax may make it not worth selling just yet.
    Exxon annual yield is 6.69% and their annual dividend is 3.48 so if they continue to pay dividends you should make $.87 per share per quarter.

Reactions: rady

RGStory

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 31, 2020
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I think it was about March. It was when Covid started and the market took a dump.

I'm just playing, I will not put any retirement stuff at risk.
    Ah. That makes more sense. If you had put in a trailing stop loss in April you would have sold out already around $50 a share. You could then have bought back in a the same low 30 range around November. However, Keith41 is offering good advice. A CPA would be good to speak with. Or change your account into a IRA, or if you have kids, and are interested in building something for them while you have fun, look into a custodial account. Neither of these options will work if you want to cash out at some point and buy that next rifle though.

Icallem

Football Ref
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2011
    N. Central MO
    Ah. That makes more sense. If you had put in a trailing stop loss in April you would have sold out already around $50 a share. You could then have bought back in a the same low 30 range around November. However, Keith41 is offering good advice. A CPA would be good to speak with. Or change your account into a IRA, or if you have kids, and are interested in building something for them while you have fun, look into a custodial account. Neither of these options will work if you want to cash out at some point and buy that next rifle though.
    I will hold onto this. Most likely, my son will have to decide what to do with it. Sad to say, it is not enough to change anybody's life style.

I wanted to buy CTRM a month or so ago, but had gotten into it with the broker, have been working on changing that and might have missed the boat (no pun intended) on this one.

Thanks

Reactions: RGStory

RGStory

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 31, 2020
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I will hold onto this. Most likely, my son will have to decide what to do with it. Sad to say, it is not enough to change anybody's life style.

I wanted to buy CTRM a month or so ago, but had gotten into it with the broker, have been working on changing that and might have missed the boat (no pun intended) on this one.

Thanks

If it is not a large amount, have you looked into an online trading broker, like TD Ameritrade, E*Trade, Charles Schwab, or Fidelity?

I have never used a human broker, but I was steered away from it early on. This was reinforced by reading Buffet's annual shareholder letters. If I wanted a human to invest for me, I would just buy BRK.A or BRK.B and let the best investor of the 20th century do it for me at no cost.

Icallem

Football Ref
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2011
    N. Central MO
    If it is not a large amount, have you looked into an online trading broker, like TD Ameritrade, E*Trade, Charles Schwab, or Fidelity?

I have never used a human broker, but I was steered away from it early on. This was reinforced by reading Buffet's annual shareholder letters. If I wanted a human to invest for me, I would just buy BRK.A or BRK.B and let the best investor of the 20th century do it for me at no cost.
    I am going to try to get something lined up this week. Not looking for a 'day trading account', but do want to be able to buy something.

Years ago, my cousin thought he would my his big claim to fame by day trading. I think he started with 200-250 thousand, had the latest greatest computer, and before it was over he had to sell a plane to get out.

I'm sure I will lose money at some point doing this, but I will not have more at risk than I'm willing / able to lose.

Thanks

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    I am going to try to get something lined up this week. Not looking for a 'day trading account', but do want to be able to buy something.

Years ago, my cousin thought he would my his big claim to fame by day trading. I think he started with 200-250 thousand, had the latest greatest computer, and before it was over he had to sell a plane to get out.

I'm sure I will lose money at some point doing this, but I will not have more at risk than I'm willing / able to lose.

Thanks
    You last sentence is key and already puts you into a mindset of taking a deep breath vs reacting spastically when volatility arrives. If I could pick out one characteristic of people in my sphere who panic sold and made awful decisions at the absolute worst time it's people who invested money they were not able/willing to lose. Remember you only lose it when you lock in the loss by selling....paper values can and will fluctuate by the second. Know exactly what you own, why you own it and evaluate your thesis for owning it. If it's broken then selling might indeed be the right action, but if your thesis is intact then let the sheeple punch out and possibly add more.

Last edited:

RGStory

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 31, 2020
    Oklahoma City, OK

I have an online account, but I am not a "day trader". I don't understand it, so I don't do it. Most of my investments sit for years. I occasionally will hold something in the months range. I could count the number of my 48 hour investments on both hands. If it is an investment of greater than a $1k, I have thought about it for at least a few weeks.

Remember you only lose it when you lock in the loss by selling....paper values can and will fluctuate by the second. Know exactly what you own, why you own it and evaluate your thesis for owning it. If it's broken then selling might indeed be the right action, but if your thesis is intact then let the sheeple punch out and possibly add more.
    ^^^^ - I concur. Know what you own and be confident in it. Ignore the noise. Know the difference.

How much research would you perform before purchasing that next top tier rifle? Why would I spend less time understanding an investment that is intended to appreciate in value over time?

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    ^^^^ - I concur. Know what you own and be confident in it. Ignore the noise. Know the difference.

How much research would you perform before purchasing that next top tier rifle? Why would I spend less time understanding an investment that is intended to appreciate in value over time?
    It's lopsided bassackwards like a lot of things in life. Why do people spend hard earned money on cigarettes to slowly kill themselves while simultaneously and literally lighting their longevity and retirement income on fire? Myopic instant gratification. A 1 pack a day cig habit over 20 years run through a 7% annualized return costs a smoker ~ $170k in the highest taxed states. Try 2 packs a day over a lifetime....whew...on many levels. Yet, I have listened for hours upon hours to an extended family member complain to me about not having any money to invest non stop for decades.....and I have not even brought up their annual alcohol tab which absolutely dwarfs their cig habit. Choices.

Last edited:

1moaoff

Safe space provider? Nope!!!
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 16, 2008
    cincinnati, ohio
    Best investment in your life

• Haha
    Reactions: 1J04

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    I'm thinking this bubble in the market is about to pop. I don't see how the market is still going up?
    What exactly is leading you to believe it's ready to pop? No wrong answer I like hearing from all just interested to know exactly what you think is the catalyst. As far as how is it still going up. Vaccine enabled re-openings, low interest rates and massive amounts of cash in consumers pockets. Then add in stimulus and possible infrastructure plans which still have yet to enter into the equation later this year. Retail sales rebounded huge in January....spending from consumers pockets is going to drive employment and help lagging sectors. Even the pessimist Atlanta Fed revised it's 1Q GDP growth up from 4.5 to 9.5.

Last edited:

M7rtim

Private
    Minuteman
    May 31, 2020
    Why wasn't this taught is school? Very eye opening. What say those with more knowledge about this stuff than me?

I watched it, it was pretty good, can't say I'm more knowledgeable, but I am skeptical on the gold investment, because the utility of gold outside of certain electronics is pretty much nothing, and when the us dollar fails, things with immediate utility will have the most value (beans, bullets, land, means of production) and later down the road maybe gold eventually (but you'll probably be dead before then.)

But you know when the currency fails, everything of value will be repossessed by the gov because you couldn't pay your "taxes" so that might render land investments worthless.

Ison

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 3, 2013
    What exactly is leading you to believe it's ready to pop? No wrong answer I like hearing from all just interested to know exactly what you think is the catalyst. As far as how is it still going up. Vaccine enabled re-openings, low interest rates and massive amounts of cash in consumers pockets. Then add in stimulus and possible infrastructure plans which still have yet to enter into the equation later this year. Retail sales rebounded huge in January....spending from consumers pockets is going to drive employment and help lagging sectors. Even the pessimist Atlanta Fed revised it's 1Q GDP growth up from 4.5 to 9.5.
    Everyone is the most optimistic right before the drop. Companies like Tesla and Amazon stock are starting to see drops then a recovery. That is usually the first indicators of a drop.

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Everyone is the most optimistic right before the drop. Companies like Tesla and Amazon stock are starting to see drops then a recovery. That is usually the first indicators of a drop.
    Ok so when you say 'a drop' are you talking about financial armageddon going back to the stone ages or a pull back? I don't mind pullbacks I use them as buying opportunities. These pullbacks are where many investors get killed b/c they overreact. I don't think you are equating 2 growth/momentum price swings to the entire market, but maybe you could clarify please? I'd agree these juggernaut tech names are way overdue for a haircut, but I don't invest in them and don't keep on my daily radar so not really concerned with them. We will continue to have pullbacks, but there is just way too much pushing markets forward right now.

Every pullback is not the start of the next bear market.

Last edited:

Hobo Hilton

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Supply and demand:

By
    Bloomberg News
    Bloomberg
    22 Feb 2021

Copper rose above $9,000 a metric ton for the first time in nine years, taking another step closer to an all-time high set in 2011 as investors bet that supply tightness will increase as the world recovers from the pandemic.
    Copper is surging amid a broad rally in commodities from iron ore to nickel, while oil has gained more than 20% this year. The bellwether industrial metal has doubled since a nadir in March, boosted by rapidly tightening physical markets, prospects for rebounding economic growth and the expectation that a years-long era of low inflation in key economies may be ending.

Skookum

Jack Booted Thug...Crushing the American Dream
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • May 6, 2017
    Since I am new to this investing stuff...the advice I was given by a friend who day trades was this:

Go to a free stock screener online like this one: https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/quotes/SPY/overview

Pick a market sector you are interested in, or simply one that is doing well. In the above screener, go to "stocks" then go down the left side to "sectors" and pick one. This will show you a bar chart showing how each sector compares to the others at that moment.

As I write this, "energy" is the top performing sector. If you click on "S&P Energy" it will give you a list and ranking of each individual stock within that sector.

Start watching the top 10 or so and see how each one progresses.

You can also do this with any "ETF" (Exchange Traded Fund) as well. There are numerous places online to find out what the top 10 "Holdings" are for each fund. You gotta figure that if the fund managers included them as the heaviest weighted holdings, then they have been vetted.

CraigG1

Supporter
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2020
    In my personal opinion... again opinion.
    The safest bet over the last few years have been index funds (S&P, ect) or ETF's that mirror an index. Unless you are a skilled stock picker, you're gambling. Even with index funds and ETF's you have to pay attention, but not on a daily basis.
    What I do is break my account up, money for long term investment (80%) and money for short term trading/speculation. For speculation I use options. I have done ok, but learn something new everyday.

Someone asked why did a person think there was a bubble? Short answer the gov can't keep printing money, and all those people "out there" don't have the same money because they don't have a job, thus will not have $$ to pump back into the economy. People are going into debt try to keep a lifestyle they had before Covid. Think of all the landlords that are not getting paid their rent and still have to make their payments.
    My basic premise is I'll ride it up as far as it wants to go, and short the shit out of it on the way down. You can make money in both directions.
    Wish I would have shorted Tesla last Friday... damnit!
    Last thing, knowledge is power. If your going to invest atleast learn about what your doing and how markets work, and what affects them.

Reactions: Ison

RGStory

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 31, 2020
    Oklahoma City, OK

Ha. Great example to illustrate the difference between short-mid term trades vs long. If you had invested in Tesla a couple of years ago you'd be quite happy with your 1,000% gains in the interim. It is a volatile stock for certain.

Ison

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 3, 2013
    The safest bet over the last few years have been index funds (S&P, ect) or ETF's that mirror an index. Unless you are a skilled stock picker, you're gambling. Even with index funds and ETF's you have to pay attention, but not on a daily basis.
    What I do is break my account up, money for long term investment (80%) and money for short term trading/speculation. For speculation I use options. I have done ok, but learn something new everyday.

Someone asked why did a person think there was a bubble? Short answer the gov can't keep printing money, and all those people "out there" don't have the same money because they don't have a job, thus will not have $$ to pump back into the economy. People are going into debt try to keep a lifestyle they had before Covid. Think of all the landlords that are not getting paid their rent and still have to make their payments.
    My basic premise is I'll ride it up as far as it wants to go, and short the shit out of it on the way down. You can make money in both directions.
    Last thing, knowledge is power. If your going to invest atleast learn about what your doing and how markets work, and what affects them.
    Spot-on.

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018

There are a lot of ways to make money and if you can successfully beat time in the market by timing the market with exits/shorting over a career my hat if off to you kudos. I used to invest like that and finally went to dividend/value approach after 2008 I just wasn't smart enough to time things right every time on the sell or the buy back in I was missing the biggest run ups off the bottom b/c they happen in such small compressed windows. And no question ETF passive investing has crushed the majority of active managers there is close to 2 decades of data to support paying an FA is wasted money. To say the entire market is in a bubble is simply inaccurate though there are plenty of outstanding companies in the value space with great motes, proper leverage and huge growth prospects. BUT they are not sexy momentum names so shows like CNBC don't fawn all over them which I get they sell excitement and doom just like most media....bleeds it leads. And inflation will come, but remember simply creating new currency does not automatically equal inflation this is a huge disconnect. The velocity of money has cratered the last decade to a screeching halt the banks simply are not lending it out....the Fed can create as much base money as they want, but they are limited with how much broad money gets into the sytem and spent. Now with American consumers sitting on nearly 2T in excess savings right now the highest level recorded it's gonna get spent, re-spent and we are going to see it in the next few years can't see how we don't....that looks to have started in earnest in Q1 with insane retail numbers. The broad money has only yet to begin flowing into the economy which is why I still see a lot of runway ahead. Plus an even bigger push of the latter has even yet to be distributed and if actual infrastructure happens......whew that's another rocket booster. I hate it all, but it is what it is and making money off the folly of the federal government wasn't how I'd envisioned investing 25 years ago, but sigh I ain't the one in the ivory tower.

There is no doubt in my mind some level of inflation is coming in the next few years and our indexes are going to see a level of price discovery many folks can't imagine. So investors can sit in cash now and wait getting no return, stay in looking out 30 years or stay in then time exits. This will never change it's human nature and no one style is right for everyone. This is where I see ETF exits being far and away more violent than last summer's sell at any cost panic and again knowing what you own and why you own it will be key. These heavily cap weighted tech names are long overdue for a haircut that is a massive bubble. When 10% of the S&P constitutes nearly 60% of the total value it's a recipe for uh oh when repricing fever hits passive investors. Unfortunately many will panic sell their ETFs to welcome open arms of investors waiting on bargain bin pricing like last summer.....I hope that is you after selling at peak and buying back near bottom. sorry for typoos this phone hates me. I still believe what is left of American capitalism is better than any other system on the planet and am placing my chips on the table...here's to continued success for all.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Ison and CraigG1

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Ha. Great example to illustrate the difference between short-mid term trades vs long. If you had invested in Tesla a couple of years ago you'd be quite happy with your 1,000% gains in the interim. It is a volatile stock for certain.
    I have watched Elon simply b/c I love the emergence of a bellwether...these moments in history have ripple effects long after the innovators have passed. A true disrupter and the legacy auto industry said he couldn't do it, but darn if it doesn't look like he is going to pull this off on an even larger scale than the short interest thought. When I saw his loss per model 3 it just blew my mind and hearing that he was months from bankruptcy a couple of years ago to be where he is now....I mean wow. Hats off to those people who got in early and held on to this through all the bonkers quarters b/c they laid nuts on the line and wow what a payoff. And even more so to the people who shorted at the right time and rode momentum to the peak.

8pointer

Major Award Winner
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Since I am new to this investing stuff...the advice I was given by a friend who day trades was this:

Go to a free stock screener online like this one: https://www.barchart.com/etfs-funds/quotes/SPY/overview

Pick a market sector you are interested in, or simply one that is doing well. In the above screener, go to "stocks" then go down the left side to "sectors" and pick one. This will show you a bar chart showing how each sector compares to the others at that moment.

As I write this, "energy" is the top performing sector. If you click on "S&P Energy" it will give you a list and ranking of each individual stock within that sector.

Start watching the top 10 or so and see how each one progresses.

You can also do this with any "ETF" (Exchange Traded Fund) as well. There are numerous places online to find out what the top 10 "Holdings" are for each fund. You gotta figure that if the fund managers included them as the heaviest weighted holdings, then they have been vetted.
    Researching individual stock tickers is no more difficult than say learning how to reload. It's a new skill, new vocabulary and through repetition with proper guidance it's all doable. It's really not any more difficult than that and I chalk the aura around this topic up to the intentional mystical unicorn descriptor much of the finserv industry has put around it for decades. Barchart is one of many great services to begin picking apart a company. Bogleheads is also an outstanding way to dip your foot in the pool it's likely still the Snipers Hide of 101 investing although I've not been on it in years. To further that another step once you find a particular style of investing that suits your needs you can subscribe to pay wall services which specialize in that niche on a site like Seeking Alpha so it's not as if you are showing up to Daytona 500 qualifying in a Prius.

Last edited:

Hobo Hilton

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2011
    Pacific Northwest

The 10-year Treasury yield jumps above 1.6% in a rapid move, unnerving investors​

Key Points
    • The 10-year U.S. Treasury yield topped the 1.49% level on Thursday.
    • The move higher in rates is unnerving investors fearing it could be driven by inflation rather than economic recovery.

The price of the red metal hit a nearly 10-year high this week as analysts expect that surging demand from the power and construction industries will overwhelm supply.

Hobo

RGStory

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 31, 2020
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Why the "almost" run on copper?
    See -->
    as analysts expect that surging demand from the power and construction industries will overwhelm supply.

Aluminum has less weight per yard of transmission line than copper but less conductivity. Large scale transmission projects lend towards Aluminum in lieu of copper. However, the smaller applications where copper weight and price is less of a concern than conductivity, copper wins. It seems these sorts of products are in higher demand right now. That would be a good investment. Curious as to what companies in the construction industry the analysts are referencing since it doesn't seem to be critical to the transmission industry.

Generators are clearly a candidate.

Perhaps this article lends itself to the answer -> https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2187189-japans-renewable-goals-to-boost-copper-rare-metal-use

Perhaps with the strong renewable push by the current administration, copper will be a good 2-3 year investment? Something worth researching. Thanks.