Stocks! Anyone investing right now?

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
It’s not FOMO. You ARE missing out! The market has realized COVID was way overblown. The fed has pumped 6 trillion dollars. Trillion with a T.

The billions with a B pumped in 2008-2009 led to a 10 year bull market.

Set stops to lock in profit on big drops.
I don't feel like I am missing out at all. I have a different risk profile than you do. What works for you does not work for me.

I also have vastly different financial needs than you. I've made a lot over the years and now it is all about wealth preservation.

I wish you continued luck with your investments.

Last edited:

Rerun7

Furious George
Belligerents
Feb 18, 2017
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Just spent the last half hour of a painfully slow conference call rereading this entire thread your post jumped out at me I think I missed it in real time. Hope you kept your same attitude throughout if you did I'm sure you have already been rewarded. The other end of the spectrum is my doomsday neighbor who sold in March and initiated multiple short positions about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure he has left his house in a week.
Sure did, I was blessed to be able to throw a big chunk in at just about the bottom in addition to my regular monthly investments. Feeling pretty good about that decision!

equilibrium

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
Coming up to a very important price range not shown and a trend sell zone that is shown. I wanna see some fireworks or explosions.
1591217324785.png

8pointer

Major Award Winner
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018
Sure did, I was blessed to be able to throw a big chunk in at just about the bottom in addition to my regular monthly investments. Feeling pretty good about that decision!
Outstanding news glad you stuck to your plan.

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
I get it but it does follow the curves that the Elliot Wave Theory discusses. I am sure that we will see soon enough.

Elliot Wave.jpg

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Belligerents
So, the million, billion, trillion dollar question, is what is going to happen in the coming months with the market, another March adjustment? Wouldn't it be nice to have a crystal ball or time machine.

I am not a knowledgeable or involved/informed investor. I had a real gut check with my 401k, after retiring in January.

What I don't understand is how the market has managed to recover recently , particularly with all the unemployment, bailouts, and the fact that many small businesses and some large corporations will fail when this is said and done.

Fortunately my investment is a conglomerate of different funds/stocks /? (don't know the correct term) but it is not individual stocks per se. As the market gets closer to February levels, (thank goodness) I contemplate moving funds to a lower risk/lower earning potential category, as I would hate to see it evaporate at this stage of my life. (I made no changes in 2008 as I wasn't close to retirement.)

Now my perspective / risk tolerance is quite different, and I am no longer contributing to the account.

8pointer

Major Award Winner
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018
So, the million, billion, trillion dollar question, is what is going to happen in the coming months with the market, another March adjustment? Wouldn't it be nice to have a crystal ball or time machine.

I am not a knowledgeable or involved/informed investor. I had a real gut check with my 401k, after retiring in January.

What I don't understand is how the market has managed to recover recently , particularly with all the unemployment, bailouts, and the fact that many small businesses and some large corporations will fail when this is said and done.

Fortunately my investment is a conglomerate of different funds/stocks /? (don't know the correct term) but it is not individual stocks per se. As the market gets closer to February levels, (thank goodness) I contemplate moving funds to a lower risk/lower earning potential category, as I would hate to see it evaporate at this stage of my life. (I made no changes in 2008 as I wasn't close to retirement.)

Now my perspective / risk tolerance is quite different, and I am no longer contributing to the account.
It's certainly a lot more hair raising since you are retired. Are you receiving a large portion of your income from dividends? With respect to up or down I would be shocked if we escaped 2020 without another reversal although I don't think it will be on the order of the forced margin call panic selling to raise cash at any price of March. I'm not retiring for sometime so just like March I don't plan on selling a thing rather i'll be adding more when it happens, but you being retired and possibly relying on that dividend income adds another level of stress potentially. I had an 8.5% overall dividend suspension in a few preferred shares but all but one of them have already restored...One dividend cut in a common share. I feel for you since you are newly retired that is a very scary thing....Do you get any kind of advisory services with your plan? i would highly recommend sitting down with someone and looking at the landscape of your holdings to make sure you are holding quality

Vodoun daVinci

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
I'm a silly child at investing but I sat tight thru the last few months - lost my job and had to move my 401K to higher ground to avoid it being destroyed by "administration fees" since my employer suspended matching and I'm without a job so....

So I moved it to my Vanguard account and bought $80K worth of VGLWX on 5/11 and made $5500+ in 3ish weeks.

Fuck going back to work. I'm gonna play with investments and wait this shit out.

VooDoo

Bigfatcock

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2019
All futures green already.

Riots? PrIced in.
Overblown pandemic? Priced in.
Thermonuclear war? Priced in.

Just think. 5 months ago we would limit down within 10 minutes of open. Market halts all over the place. Margin calls everywhere.

Just plain damn nuts.

ajv35XX

Random User
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
If the stock market is still intact/the country doesn’t implode by the time I finish this Dave Ramsey GTFO debt program, I’m gonna start playing heavily in stocks...unless there’s some now I can start playing with that won’t tank

Reactions: wh20crazy

8pointer

Major Award Winner
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018
All futures green already.

Riots? PrIced in.
Overblown pandemic? Priced in.
Thermonuclear war? Priced in.

Just think. 5 months ago we would limit down within 10 minutes of open. Market halts all over the place. Margin calls everywhere.

Just plain damn nuts.
Not so nuts when you consider what the Fed is doing to prop up the corporate bond market at the moment IMO. Look at all the new high yield issuance floated and gobbled up in the last 45 days....b/c investors know the Fed is back there. Then 2 weeks ago the Fed actually started buying bond ETFs in addition to yield chasing investors. As you pointed out much less was spent in 2008-9 and it led to a 10 year asset bubble percolator aka bull market. Once we shake out the rest of the year's volatility I think the S&P could go on another unreal tear that makes the last 10 years look tame. The Fed cannot and will not take their hands out of the pot.....they can't....and as sick as that is it means there is still a ton of money to be made for those who choose to indulge. I track this HY SPDR every day and it has bounced off the apocalypse to near pre-bologna levels: SPDR Barclays Capital High Yield Bnd ETF. Tried to do a linky not real good at that don't think it worked

Reactions: Seymour Fish

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
I'm a silly child at investing but I sat tight thru the last few months - lost my job
This was the biggest reason that I didn't jump in...I consider myself a lucky amateur but with COVID fears ruling everyone's actions, I had no idea about the status of my job. Losing it would be uncomfortable.

I was fortunate that I had no equity investments when the correction happened. However, I knew I had to invest but didn't due to the job loss fear. In April, my employer laid off 20% of the people. I didn't lose my job but felt better that I stayed out of the market sea saw.

The only trade I did make during this whole mess was Boeing and that worked out very well.

Bigfatcock

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2019
No stock is priced to high to buy, or priced to low to sell.

^^

That’s a badly butchered quote, but it gets the point across.

equilibrium

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
All y’all are going to loose your ass if you are going to just dive in because made $5k on your first hold. Doesn’t mean you can do it consistently. You are chasing and got lucky.

Start with paper money, develop and test your system and more importantly your mentality when you hit the buy.

Dont forget to use all the indicators and when they all converge BUY BUY BUY!
1591230623376.png

Last edited:

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
All y’all are going to loose your ass if you are going to just dive in because made $5k on your first hold. Doesn’t mean you can do it consistently. You are chasing and got lucky.

Start with paper money, develop and test your system and more importantly your mentality when you hit the buy.
Everyone here makes money and never loses it. Haven't you been following the thread? Warren Buffett comes here for advice

It is like posting 0.25 MOA group sizes...can't you do it consistently?

Bigfatcock

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2019
Everyone here makes money and never loses it. Haven't you been following the thread? Warren Buffett comes here for advice

I don’t think that’s what this thread is about. People just don’t talk about losses just like they don’t talk about two inch groups, lol.

I’ve had my ass handed to me several times chasing a sure thing before.

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Belligerents
Oct 8, 2012
Somewhere in the US
I made money, lost money and now have made more money. However, I’m not playing the overnight game. I’m invested in solid companies, some of which are the only ones that do what they do, and am holding. Over time, we should all make money as long as it’s invested in quality stuff. Historically the market has always gone up over time. Stay in. There are two things the market will always do, it’s going to go down and it’s going to go up. Trying to time it is a fools errand. Save money, wait for the dips, buy in the dips, sell in the highs. It’s that simple.

equilibrium

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 11, 2018

That is what they want you to think. It is a tough game to get consistent. You hit walls, have a epiphany, test it, hit a wall and so on till you have that ah ha moment. 95% fail, not because they are shitty traders, but because they give up. They do not take the time to develop and test their system with paper money which more than likely will take thousands of hours of screen time. Then when they actually trade real money they get fucked because they dont trust their system or their system doesnt take the human factor out of it.

Some things I have learned:
NEVER pay for these gurus. YOU need to find your own system.
Let price come to you and do not chase.
Patience.
KISS - Keep it simple stupid. Price and volume.

8pointer

Major Award Winner
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2018
I made money, lost money and now have made more money. However, I’m not playing the overnight game. I’m invested in solid companies, some of which are the only ones that do what they do, and am holding. Over time, we should all make money as long as it’s invested in quality stuff. Historically the market has always gone up over time. Stay in. There are two things the market will always do, it’s going to go down and it’s going to go up. Trying to time it is a fools errand. Save money, wait for the dips, buy in the dips, sell in the highs. It’s that simple.
when I think about how badly I got my teeth kicked in from the.com bust I just have to laugh out loud I couldn't have done anything more wrong than I did at that time. Didn't have to wait long for my next test because 9/11 nailed us but I still sold a couple of positions stupidly that quickly recovered....major learning there. All of that helped prepare me for 2008 which was as scared as I've been in my life And even with 10 years under my belt I still made some dumb ass mistakes. 2020 was definitely unexpected to me as i did not see the world shutting down from this but I certainly didn't panic hopefully all we can do is learn as we go and make fewer mistakes. when people don't know why they own what they own and fear sets in they do stupid shit like selling great companies at fire sale prices. When I saw that I could add to the most stellar PIMCO bond funds below net asset value I knew the world has gone full tard.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilentStalkr

Bigfatcock

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2019
That is what they want you to think. It is a tough game to get consistent. You hit walls, have a epiphany, test it, hit a wall and so on till you have that ah ha moment. 95% fail, not because they are shitty traders, but because they give up. They do not take the time to develop and test their system with paper money which more than likely will take thousands of hours of screen time. Then when they actually trade real money they get fucked because they dont trust their system or their system doesnt take the human factor out of it.

Patience.
Amen. My system works pretty well for me. It’s not perfect, but I stay to the upside overtime.

Every time I’ve gotten wrecked I was chasing a hot tip, or did something I KNEW I SHOULDN’T DO!! Being human sucks sometimes, lol.

Then sometimes you do everything right, and life just kicks you in the dick. Like the time I had done the research, watched the trend, and knew for a fact a Stock was going to drop, and I went short in after hours on Friday. Yep, woke up to a $10 gap up on Monday morning. Learned a lesson about margin calls on that one.

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014

Patience.
I have an even simpler system

What bulls and bears think and do will only temporarily impact the stock price. In the end, the only thing that will matter are fundamentals – the company’s earnings power and, eventually, the valuation investors are willing to pay for it.

equilibrium

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
Amen. My system works pretty well for me. It’s not perfect, but I stay to the upside overtime.

Every time I’ve gotten wrecked I was chasing a hot tip, or did something I KNEW I SHOULDN’T DO!! Being human sucks sometimes, lol.

Then sometimes you do everything right, and life just kicks you in the dick. Like the time I had done the research, watched the trend, and knew for a fact a Stock was going to drop, and I went short in after hours on Friday. Yep, woke up to a $10 gap up on Monday morning. Learned a lesson about margin calls on that one.
Yes, the mind is a powerful thing. It is 1% technical analysis and 99% the mind.

equilibrium

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
I have an even simpler system

What bulls and bears think and do will only temporarily impact the stock price. In the end, the only thing that will matter are fundamentals – the company’s earnings power and, eventually, the valuation investors are willing to pay for it.
As long as your system works that is what matters. There are many aspects to what is important based on being flat at close of market, mid or short term. Fundamentals I only care about long term.

equilibrium

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
Oh, and there’s those times when the President says something and drops the market 500 points in a 10 minute period immediately after you bought into an uptrend.
Yup, and that is why I follow him on twatter. Always have stops nowadays.

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
As long as your system works that is what matters. There are many aspects to what is important based on being flat at close of market, mid or short term. Fundamentals I only care about long term.
Yes...I only care about long term. I don't day trade. I would rather blow that money on hookers and blow. I'll get more out of it

Kir

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Sparks, NV
I had some cash sitting there from over a year ago when I thought the market was going to go down. So lately when the market did go down...I bought some Berkshire Hathaway shares. Will see how it goes...

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 22, 2014
I had some cash sitting there from over a year ago when I thought the market was going to go down. So lately when the market did go down...I bought some Berkshire Hathaway shares. Will see how it goes...
At $286,000 per share, that is a nice amount of money to have "sitting there".

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Belligerents
Oct 8, 2012
Somewhere in the US
I’ve learned the game. I know exactly what all the rich guys do. Only took me some stupid moves and 20 years. If I had enough cash laying around right now I’m pretty sure I could retire at 45. Alas, I don’t have the cash reserve to play as much as I want. :(

Kir

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Sparks, NV
LOL, of course it was the class B shares. :ROFLMAO::cool: Already up 10%. ...and yes, I know could drop just as fast....

equilibrium

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
May 11, 2018
"03:13 AM EDT, 06/04/2020 (MT Newswires) -- Carnival's (CCL) Princess Cruises extended the suspension of a number of ship operations due to the extension of the closure of cruise ports amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The cruise operator said Thursday it will extend the suspension of all cruises sailing in and out of Australia until mid-September; and Vancouver and Seattle in September and October; and Keelung, Taiwan, departing in August.

Princess Cruises will also continue to suspend seven-day roundtrip cruises from San Francisco departing in September and October."

Up she she went but it looks like reality finally set in.
1591283909767.png

Bigfatcock

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2019
"03:13 AM EDT, 06/04/2020 (MT Newswires) -- Carnival's (CCL) Princess Cruises extended the suspension of a number of ship operations due to the extension of the closure of cruise ports amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The cruise operator said Thursday it will extend the suspension of all cruises sailing in and out of Australia until mid-September; and Vancouver and Seattle in September and October; and Keelung, Taiwan, departing in August.

Princess Cruises will also continue to suspend seven-day roundtrip cruises from San Francisco departing in September and October."

View attachment 7343134
Holding long on that one. Has a long way to drop to trigger my stop.

ccasanova

Private
Belligerents
Jul 10, 2010
Southeast LA
Any other specific recommendations besides CCL & UAL?

I gave my investor $30k the weekend in March of the initial downturn. I think he’s got less than half of it in the market. I could put another $10-20k in today. I’m mid-30s, playing the long game, willing to take on some risk.

Looked into a Robinhood account to do some on my own. Or could get him to make some purchases.

He’s going to call this evening to discuss further.

Anything specific I should ask about? PM if necessary. Thanks

Vodoun daVinci

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
Oh, and there’s those times when the President says something and drops the market 500 points in a 10 minute period immediately after you bought into an uptrend.
He's been doing that for 3 years now....drops a little bombshell, the Market tanks because of all the dummies "playing" it like a game and trying to get rich quick. I have made more money from this crap ....I only buy Index Funds and Mutual Funds so my investments are spread across hundreds of companies. They aren't going out of business just because someone has a panic attack about bad numbers. 3 days later there's a tweet that comes along the makes the market soar again. It's like clockwork except that there is no way to time it.

I never sell. Never sell....I buy time proven stuff that is invested over hundreds of companies and no how bad the news is today, they are not going out of business. So when some dipshit throws a panic wrench and it tanks I *always* have kept a pot to but some of what just got the shit kicked out of it...more of what I already have at rock bottom panic price and a few days/weeks/months later I'm way back in Black. I'm a childish investor and I don't "play" with my investments. I only buy stuff (never sell) that is time tested to make me money and Dividends and when people panic I buy more. Even with the shit hitting it in January at this moment I have made 17.9% on my money in the last 12 months.

I don;t have to placate people by posting my losses...they are always temporary and , like The Market, it just keeps going up and up and it will never stop until Capitalism dies. Big companies pay me to use my money.

VooDoo

Asperly Aimless

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 15, 2012
Wellington, Nevada
Any other specific recommendations besides CCL & UAL?

I gave my investor $30k the weekend in March of the initial downturn. I think he’s got less than half of it in the market. I could put another $10-20k in today. I’m mid-30s, playing the long game, willing to take on some risk.

Looked into a Robinhood account to do some on my own. Or could get him to make some purchases.

He’s going to call this evening to discuss further.

Anything specific I should ask about? PM if necessary. Thanks
Damn, your investor has cost you some serious profit.

wh20crazy

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
NC

View attachment 7343134
I bought Carnival at $12.61. It promptly dropped to $7.80, so I basically lost 1/3 of my investment. Now it's at $18.44. I'm up 46%. It had been consistently trading at $50ish and paying $0.50 dividends. This is my first ever stock pick. I got lucky (so far), your mileage may vary.

mavrick10_2000

Private
Belligerents
Jan 8, 2009
Oklahoma

View attachment 7343134
Phuckers. On the flip side can still buy more at a decent price before getting back to business.